Get off my Land...

steveyg

I suppose if you had,,had the unsavoury types that roam about checking to steal later on,

You may well have the same attitude,So please do not condem him out of hand..

Well all have really bad days,,He may have lost some of his possesions to the scum that roam about..

If you found someone in your garden,Would you be Desposed to being really nice..

There are always two ways to react,His was one of his choices..

He may be very nice next time..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice...there is NO excuse for rude behaviour no matter what mood you are in - you were not breaking any laws but, in fact, offering the chap something for nothing. Take it on the chin, smile and move on - be mature about it , then find the farms phone number and make sure that every double glazing/ Solar panel company you can find gives him a call.

Him too !!!!!

I am recognised as " Mr Pastry " , youngsters Google It.

Blimey, PC that's a name from the past !

I well remember Mr. Pastry coming to our village every year to accept a cheque on behalf of his chosen charity.

I can, however, see a marked resemblance, although I recall he used to wear a bowler hat.

OB

I've never secured shooting land by cold calling or knocking on doors..in my experience many Farmers don't appreciate it.

I've always written a hand written letter explaining who I am and a little bit about me, what I do, how long I've had a SGC and that I am a member and insured by the BASC plus a couple of references, preferably Farmers. This gives the Farmer or Landowner chance to check me out...plus I always appreciate someone taking the trouble to write to me in this modern age and I think many of the older Farmers are traditionalist too.

Before internet I always put a SAE in with the letter. I generally had a response which then led to a face to face meeting.

I currently have 7 separate Farms and two very large Estates to shoot over all secured by this method of letter plus by recommendations to several other farmers in Glos, Wilts and Oxon.

Edited by Adge Cutler

As above, I never particularly like dealing with door knockers, it's just kind of 'hi you don't know me, but can I have access to your land with a gun please'.

It's a security thing for me, I'm never rude mind, but then I rarely have bad days, I love my life.

It's hard to get land, unfortunately I'm more likely to let someone shoot who already shoots on land owned by someone I know. Doesn't help the people who are looking for land, but it's the way it is.

Edited by kyska

You've swooped in and taken someone else's shooting?

Well, their non-shooting perhaps.

Farmer is most likey aware of how much controlling is going on (or not). I seriously doubt trying to waffle a man whose livelyhood depends on being in touch with his land, is going to get me far. Farmers like BS even less than the next man, in my experience.

Well, their non-shooting perhaps.

Farmer is most likey aware of how much controlling is going on (or not). I seriously doubt trying to waffle a man whose livelyhood depends on being in touch with his land, is going to get me far. Farmers like BS even less than the next man, in my experience.

So yeah, you've pinched someone else's shooting then.

Good on you.

Edited by Guest

I'm going to be honest. It's fair game. So many places have fair weather shooters. It's hard for new shooters to get land. Besides, the farmer may not revoke the other guy's permission so it could be win win.

Wow.

Wow.

What a well written response.

People encourage people to go door knocking. There will be zero farms that haven't been visited before.

At the end of the day, it's the farmers land to do with as he pleases. That includes allowing (or not) people to shoot on it.

Edited by BrowningB525

I'm going to be honest. It's fair game. So many places have fair weather shooters. It's hard for new shooters to get land. Besides, the farmer may not revoke the other guy's permission so it could be win win.

There is this, I have had shooters who literally just turned up at harvest, these were historic shooters from before we took the farm on from Dad

They were soon off

I've been to farms where they already have shooters, and my line is to say "fair enough, I don't want to tread on anyone else's toes", however, I do say if you ever need anyone just call me. It's not pinching someone else's shooting as the shooters don't have the right to say who goes on the land, it is up to the farmer or landowner or farm manager. Often it can help having more than one set of guns, especially if they can cooperate and coordinate activities.

How can it be classed as pinching if no-one is shooting it?

Have you lost ground that you've neglected bigman?

Because you've turned up, and found someone else had permission. Then you didn't as suggested above ask to shoot as well to help out, or offer your services in the future.

You gave the impression you poo pooed the efforts of the other shooter to the land owner in order to get their shooting.

It's pinching. There have been several threads about people pinching permissions in the past. I'm not trying to fall out with you, but there you go.

Edited by Guest

Because you've turned up, and found someone else had permission. Then you didn't as suggested above ask to shoot as well to help out, or offer your services in the future.

You gave the impression you poo pooed the efforts of the other shooter to the land owner in order to get their shooting.

It's pinching. There have been several threads about people pinching permissions in the past. I'm not trying to fall out with you, but there you go.

Not interested in an argy bargy either.

However: if you find the ground at the side of a crop filed is completely bare for 10 yards by 50 yards but is covered in rabbit droppings and the next 5 yards is all predated, would you assume anyone has been there in a good while?

If I'm just going round knocking doors (as is recommended by just about everyone on here whenever a newbie asks for advice) and am told they have a shooter, I'll offer my card and back off.

My understanding of the pinching permissions threads is normally concerniing taking newbies out as a favour and to help get them some experience and they return behind the shooters back and try to get the permission for themselves.

I own my own farm, you lads need to understand the the farmer holds the permission not the shooter and as such can have any numbers of shooters on his land at his convenience, why would you think it's belongs to any shooter who does not hold a lease,

I've never secured shooting land by cold calling or knocking on doors..in my experience many Farmers don't appreciate it.

I've always written a hand written letter explaining who I am and a little bit about me, what I do, how long I've had a SGC and that I am a member and insured by the BASC plus a couple of references, preferably Farmers. This gives the Farmer or Landowner chance to check me out...plus I always appreciate someone taking the trouble to write to me in this modern age and I think many of the older Farmers are traditionalist too.

Before internet I always put a SAE in with the letter. I generally had a response which then led to a face to face meeting.

I currently have 7 separate Farms and two very large Estates to shoot over all secured by this method of letter plus by recommendations to several other farmers in Glos, Wilts and Oxon.

Funny, when you were FM you used to boast that you had too much land to deal with.

Now you are a pretty much unknown musician, you still manage to boast and belittle but without the land you had previously :whistling:

I believe you to be a charlatan and a fake Mr ****ler ;)

What a load of tosh, some people are just anti-social.

Most of those I have met have been farmers!

Suppose its just co-incidence ;)

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion. I can't ever recall replying to any of your expressions of opinion with such blatant disregard as you have expressed here. Anyway, my opinion was formed from experience. Nobody is an #### for nothing. There's always a reason behind every action. Whether it's a persons inability to deal with things, a mental condition, poor upbringing etc.

I reiterate my previous statement. If somebody is being arrogant, it's for a reason. Statistically it has proven the better option to walk away in these circumstances. If you think you're going to educate someone of elder years as to why their approach or reaction is wrong, then you're just looking for trouble. You're only adding fuel to the fire.

Dear Deirdre, some time ago and mean farmer told me to get off his land so I did. Now mean people are bickering about it on pigeon watch. When will the injustice end, how should I move on from this trauma?

'Dear Sussex Gardener

Due to extraordinarily large volume of sexual related questions to answer I have forwarded your problem to my good friends at the Jeremy Kyle show and they would be delighted to have you and your fellow PW'ers on the show.

The only stumbling block is with you being from the South, that you have too many teeth ( most likely even your own), pride, ability to articulate/converse --- this will most certainly exclude you.

However on reviewing some other 'postings' between members, especially the same old ones in the "Off Topic" section then I feel they will be able to accommodate you on the show.

Best regards

Deidre

Ps, are you sure you don't have 'bedroom issues'

We are a petty bunch arent we :lol:

The farmer owns the land so its up to him how he deals with people on it. As we all know farmers are lovely when you know them and miserable beggers when you dont :yes:

With regards to "pinching" land my thoughts are that if somebody is doing a good job for the farmer he is unlikely to let somebody else onto his ground but at the end of the day it is his land and not yours. One of the farms I looked after for years let a new guy onto it who is a numpty (but a friend of the farmer) so I stopped shooting there.