Ton with New 20ga

6.5x55SE

Having shot with either a SbS or O/U 20ga for 40 odd years i swapped my O/U for a New Armsan semi auto 20ga which will take Berretta Mobile Chokes so while i waited for a Pattern Master Anaconda Long Range to arrive i had only fired the gun five times.

This morning checking the Rape whilst taking the Dog's for a walk the Farmer told me as the Aerial mask was now down they would be Muck spreading from Saturday. Disappointed as i was hoping to let the Pigeon numbers to build the only chance to shoot the field would be this afternoon due to having to pick the Wife and Conor up from there Holiday Friday.

The wind was pushing the Pigeon on one line straight between two telegraph poles easy set up as there is a good rough Ditch but i noted more Pigeon was passing through than landing on the stubble even with 150-200 Pigeon down feeding.

Having settled in the dry Ditch with both Dog's laying under the reed's i loaded the Gun admiring the soft touch feel to it my fears had i done the right thing with Gun and choke was soon dispelled as i balled five Pigeons on the trot. Putting two on Bouncers the others with heads propped by Rape stork i again settled to watch several Pigeon pass by into the wind at last one flew straight down the barrel as it folded in a cloud of feathers i was gobsmacked to see two jump from the stubble twenty yard away resulting in my first Treble with the gun.

My first 28 shot's downed 28 Pigeon which included 5 with 7/8oz Steel 4's home loads . I was one Happy Chap apart from most Pigeon speed by just out of range in spite of building a nice Pattern with shot Pigeon every now and again Pigeon would come back from where they was going on the Wind and I'm pleased to say I shot some absolute cracking high Pigeon with the wind up there Butt's unfortunately as forecast the rain stopped play .

Completing a wet pick up I was chuffed to bits to count 107 Pigeon into my Truck RESULT.

On the way out of the field the Farmer informed me that his Rape stubble opposite his farm was stuffed with Pigeon. Oh well i was more than happy with the Gun Choke and my shooting.

If the Choke handles bigger steel shot and HW13 then I'm going to have some fun with it after Geese this season especially under the Moon

28 for 28. That must be some kind of record.

Sorry to disappoint JD but hand on heart 28 for 28 is well well shy of the best achieved when i was younger.

Before my youngest Brother packed up shooting he was and still remains the keenest Pigeon shot I've ever met or likely to meet. Together we shot some horrendously BIG bags of Pigeon numbers i would certainly not Quote on the internet due possibility be branded a " Bull Pooper " or likes of.

Truthfully being out in the wilderness enjoying the countryside fresh air and wildlife will always Top any bag numbers or shots it takes or took.

👍👍

Sound like a brilliant day Boyd ( got your name right now I hope ) and your shooting is first class with your new gun , but please don't give the s x s up altogether as I will soon be the only one of dwindling band of devotes who still use one.

As for your 28 on the trot and you used to shoot a lot with your brother , my brother was also a very good shot until he packed up overnight and never fired a gun again , me and another bloke who used to shoot a lot of pigeons sat in the same hide as my brother one day when he was shooting pigeons over peas on the estate , he took two boxes of shells , fired them all and picked up 48 pigeons , although he missed three he shot two with one shot , the gun he was using was a A Y A s x s with no or very little choke as he used drill the choke out . now I am pleased if I get two on the trot :lol:

Thanks Cranfield.

John i can miss just as good as everyone 😂

As for a SbS I've got my eye on one ( 12ga ) for Wildfowling . Now perhaps I'm being a Old Faaart but must admit it does give me a good feeling shooting a Traditional " Right and Left " 👍