House training

Lloyd90

My sisters got a cocker cross and looking for advice on teaching it to give signs when it needs to go out.

At the moment it will go all night in the crate without peeing, if let out frequently will not have any accidents but if not taken out frequently will pee in the house.

It's approx 7 months old.

The advice I was given and seemed to hold true was that dogs more or less house train themselves.. It's all about the needs of the pack.. in the wild as wolves it wouldn't be s good idea to go in the Den. Obviously when very young they have little/no control but as they grow they instinctively avoid messing in their own space. To start with what they define as their den is their bed. Then this expands to a room that they normally occupy until the house then sometimes the garden. I guess at 7 months a cage/bed is the limit but it will expand given time. Dogs can apparently hold it for a long time if necessary, once they decide they don't want to go inside the house it will let you know by sitting or clawing the door.it's not unusual for the young to have accidents though.