Porsche 911 997 model 2005

Jaymo

ME off here bought a 911 - waited for the right one and spent a fair lump of money. The 'shine' soon wore off - fragile, can't use / park it anywhere because everyone hates you automatically for having a 911 and it will get dinked / scratched; spending a fortune to get it serviced at the right place to maintain the correct service history, and whilst the car was quick, it's not that quick.

On the budget stated, pound for pound it's got to be an M3 or an RS4.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ME off here bought a 911 - waited for the right one and spent a fair lump of money. The 'shine' soon wore off - fragile, can't use / park it anywhere because everyone hates you automatically for having a 911 and it will get dinked / scratched; spending a fortune to get it serviced at the right place to maintain the correct service history, and whilst the car was quick, it's not that quick.

On the budget stated, pound for pound it's got to be an M3 or an RS4.

You forgot to mention the Sat Nav was iffy and liked Airports

:shaun:

MrM

Yes, did take a look- had one of the early A5's as a loaner when the gearbox on the TT needed to be replaced.

Then the RS5 came out and was seriously tempted at the time- bought a boat instead :-)

Wifey doesn't think it has the 'wow' factor though.

Search continues- albeit at a slow pace as in no rush.....

MrM

Yes, did take a look- had one of the early A5's as a loaner when the gearbox on the TT needed to be replaced.

Then the RS5 came out and was seriously tempted at the time- bought a boat instead :-)

Wifey doesn't think it has the 'wow' factor though.

Search continues- albeit at a slow pace as in no rush.....

That is true! Maserati then? Probably not quite as reliable, but definitely wins on wow factor over Audi!

I've got a Gen 1 997 - it's a fantastic car. I've owned it nearly 4 years now without any dramas. It's obviously not a cheap car to run but on the Sussex country roads it's a pleasure to drive and still brings a smile to my face. I've owned a lot of performance cars in the past, M3, S3, various big power Evos and sold all within 12 months. I can't honestly see me selling this unless I can afford a GT3 at some point. Mine's used as a weekend/summer toy and I still find it an occasion to drive. Just go in with your eyes open, have the bore scope done, fit a low temp thermostat, regular oil changes and just enjoy it. Yes some engines are bad, but a hell of a lot aren't. If mine does decide to score itself in the future I'll bite the bullet an have it future proofed by Hartech. I don't lose sleep over it.

jan15_zpsffc9cae2.jpg

i drive an audi RS6 , (V8)

ive lost count of 911's , M3s ect ect in my rear veiw mirror , what an over rateted peice of rusbish ,

Edited by stevo

Sorry Stevo

Have a 'family' estate :-). Couldn't resist.

It's not 'speed' essentially that I'm after- just a good old boulevard cruiser.

Saying that, the mountain passes do require something with a bit of 'grip n go' .

Hahah jaymo

When you get your VW sorted you come have a go against my old bus haha

£50 I he PW charity pot for loser 👍

Joking aside I keep looking at the proche 4x4 thingy. Really are growing on me

Edited by stevo

Sorry Stevo

Have a 'family' estate :-). Couldn't resist.

It's not 'speed' essentially that I'm after- just a good old boulevard cruiser.

Saying that, the mountain passes do require something with a bit of 'grip n go' .

RS4!

Golf r

If it's fun you're after, you can do a hell of a lot better for less these days. I'm into my bikes as well and have owned a fair few quick cars in my time but a 997 is about the last one on my list due to the endless list of issues owners seem to have with them plus even my humble fettled vRS diesel will see one off in a straight line to 100mph! I can't think of a more over-rated performance car. Come to think of it, even the Lexus GS430 will see one off! RS4/5/6, M5, AMG or something like the newer Caymen if you really must have a porker would be more reliable and probably more fun to drive....then there's the wild cards....AC Cobra, Maseratti Quattroporte, Jag Type R, the list goes on...but a 997 is a hell of a gamble and will require the chequebook to be opened more regularly than perhaps you'd like.

Edited by Savhmr

Jaymo,

I know you said you weren't crazy on metal folding roofs, but I love my Merc SLK. I've only got the little one, but for £25k you could get a low miles, 3-4 year old AMG 55 version with silly power and awesome sound. 416 horsepower in a pocket rocket that is as comfortable as anything to drive around town or up the motorway.

thanks,

rick

i drive an audi RS6 , (V8)

ive lost count of 911's , M3s ect ect in my rear veiw mirror , what an over rateted peice of rusbish ,

Yep, before every gt race a Porsche and ferrari loving driver takes all the cars round the track and cripples everything that is fast by forcing them to add ballast and restrict the air intakes so the Porsche and ferrari owners don't think they have been made fools of when they shelled out a kings ransom for their ego-mobile (and still every year the corvettes make fools of them despite being crippled) it's affectionately called "the balance of performance"

Jaymo,

I know you said you weren't crazy on metal folding roofs, but I love my Merc SLK. I've only got the little one, but for £25k you could get a low miles, 3-4 year old AMG 55 version with silly power and awesome sound. 416 horsepower in a pocket rocket that is as comfortable as anything to drive around town or up the motorway.

thanks,

rick

One fly in the 'Ointment' - a 2 and 4 yo that need to be accommodated.

Could have squeezed them in the Porker ( just)- did initially have e 'green light' for a two seater but having spent a few weeks watching various motor cruising along the wifey thinks we won't get as much use out of it when I'm home.

For my run to work of course it's only me

One fly in the 'Ointment' - a 2 and 4 yo that need to be accommodated.

Could have squeezed them in the Porker ( just)- did initially have e 'green light' for a two seater but having spent a few weeks watching various motor cruising along the wifey thinks we won't get as much use out of it when I'm home.

For my run to work of course it's only me

Fair enough. An e55 AMG would be a lot of fun with four seats, but very different to a porche or equivalent.

Rick