I was asked to get this buck

tonker

A chap in our village has a nature reserve he set up about 15 years ago. He has planted loads of different types of native trees, shrubs, put up owl boxes, has different piles of stuff around,eg stone, tin, wood, to encourage bugs and snakes and things, and has let nature take its course.

Barn owls are using the boxes and the local bird watching club are down there watching them quartering across the ground looking for field mice and shrews.

Last year he asked me to get a buck that was thrashing his saplings. Although I was down there first and last light I never saw him. This year he asked me again, as the buck was doing the same thing again, again he gave me the run around. I saw him a couple of times whilst he was in tatters, but no shot presented itself. At least I knew which buck it was and what he looked like.

Today I was looking over four wheat stubble fields that has been taken for whole crop, as I hope to go pigeon shooting tomorrow, and what should I see, but this buck chasing a doe around.

A quick about turn to go back home and get the rifle and gear. I couldn't go straight back to the field as it it dead flat around us and I had to check surrounding fields to see where all the cattle were, and then work out a safe direction of firing line. Not as easy as it sounds.

I had a quick check on google earth when I was at home,so had a mental picture of the fields, and then I went back to where I had seen him, some hour latter. Gone obviously!!!

Took a gamble and got out the buttolo caller, thirty seconds latter at a gallop comes the doe out of the thick hedge with the buck hot on her heels, I don't think it was the caller, just luck more like. she stopped in the middle of the field and he stopped just behind her. I couldn't have put him in a better place by hand. About 150yds out and broadside. I'd have liked him a little closer but wasn't going to give this chance up after two years.

Squeezed of one of my home loads and he dropped on the spot. I reloaded and watched, and then he got up again, but without going into to much detail

I could see through the scope he wasn't going anywhere, and sure enough within seconds he was down again. Waited a while for the doe to go, but she hung around farther down the field, but she loped off not to concerned when I drove the disco into the field . One happy reserve owner, and one happy farmer who's land he was on, as he has some venison coming his way.

Typical me I've deleted the best pictures of him.

post-64160-0-91777000-1470437925_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-88526800-1470437994_thumb.jpg As you can see he had skinned his shoulder and back getting through something.

Edited by tonker

Loki and WelshMike, thanks for the replies, took me nearly an hour to type that note, with one finger and not knowing when the letters on keyboard are. Shan't be bothering again, obviously my face don't fit with the other 260 odd.

I don't stalk but I have a buck on my permission that looks the same sort of stamp thinking of letting one of my pals who is very much into stalking take him . Can I just ask a few daft questions What age would you estimate your buck was. As the one knocking about on mine is not being a pest but sorry to say he could fall to a keeper who poaches onto our land Would it be better to take him nearer the end of the rut hoping he has past on his line with a few of the does .Tonka just keep on posting that's what keeps folk coming onto this site .

I don't stalk but I have a buck on my permission that looks the same sort of stamp thinking of letting one of my pals who is very much into stalking take him . Can I just ask a few daft questions What age would you estimate your buck was. As the one knocking about on mine is not being a pest but sorry to say he could fall to a keeper who poaches onto our land Would it be better to take him nearer the end of the rut hoping he has past on his line with a few of the does .Tonka just keep on posting that's what keeps folk coming onto this site .

At a best guess I would have put him at 5/6 quite a well spread head, Coronets just meeting. That's only my view mind, others with more experience may tell you better, he had torn ears and was marked up a bit so had been rutting. Which means I've another Buck about to go at if I can find him :)

Let your mate have him better than a poacher, at least you may get a bit of Venison, and if not at least it's not sold on at a profit.

Has he any does in attendance? He may have passed his genes already, if she's let him yet. If you do let him go his place will be taken by another PDQ

At a best guess I would have put him at 5/6 quite a well spread head, Coronets just meeting. That's only my view mind, others with more experience may tell you better, he had torn ears and was marked up a bit so had been rutting. Which means I've another Buck about to go at if I can find him :)

Let your mate have him better than a poacher, at least you may get a bit of Venison, and if not at least it's not sold on at a profit.

Has he any does in attendance? He may have passed his genes already, if she's let him yet. If you do let him go his place will be taken by another PDQ

one doe with him when last seen and plenty on the place I have sort of hinted to my pal that a stalk could be coming his way as you say better that I call the shot as the holder of the lease than a bloke who is greedy and thinks he has the right to do as he pleases .I know if I let him have enough rope he will hang himself as he has already blotted his copy book with the farm. Perhaps another story for a topic in the future.

• 2 weeks later...