Decoying on Rape stubble

Mr Wasp

Good morning all

I'm relatively inexperienced and would like to ask a simple question.

Can you decoy successfully on Rape stubble?

I've had some good days on corn / bean stubble and on rape in the winter. I had a call from a farmer yesterday that he was cutting his rape (next to a corn field to be cut in a few weeks time) and there were lots of pigeons around.

I was very pleased that he rang but had no idea that pigeons liked rape stubble.

Can you decoy successfully on recently cut rape ? Should i give it a go?

Many thanks for and tips

With comments like that I'm not surprised, he's asking a genuine question.

It was a genuine comment. All Mr Wasp had to do was read just a few of the recent posts on rape stubble shooting (which there are a lot of) and the question would have been answered there.

To those with helpful comments much appreciated and many thanks.

I've been out to check things out today and there indeed were plenty of pigeons so ill give it a go.

I just started shooting pigeons only a year or so ago but my shooting partner with all the knowledge and experience unfortunately had a heart attack and passed way last spring which is why i joined this forum for advice etc. I was hoping to invite some experienced shooters within travelling distance for a couple of days shooting as i have the exclusive free range of approximately 2500 acres of corn rape and beans.

However, to those who just said to check out recent posts ...I'm surprised and disappointed by the tone / sarcasm

Your right, I don't get much of a chance to look at the forum as much as i would like as I'm running my company and working 13 hours a day, 6 days a week since March.

I'm not particularly brilliant on the computer and i did try and locate some recent posts on the subject but didn't locate any...

Many thanks again

Sorry to hear about your shooting friend.

Sounds to me you have a perfect pigeon shooting scenario there.

We were cutting our rape this week and the pigeons that were around were incredible. Shame I was sat on the combine though and couldn't have a shot!

As for shooting rape stubble yes you can. As people have said there are loads of feeds on here. I too am a novice and have certainly picked up some ideas from people on here and had plenty of questions answered. Some of them have lead to heated discussions between people which I find hilarious!!! Enjoy the stubble!!!!

Mr Wasp,

Rape, well where to start! you will find pigeon will be suicidal on stubble, especially if your lucky enough to have the only field around, saying that with 2500 acres probably not.

the problem is the fields are often big and the seed is scattered all over like pepper so you will see the whole field covered in birds if they are on to it.

so as a previous post try to locate the flight line in and get under it if you can, take your time with the hide and get it well blended in maybe a scrim net roof if your under the flight line.

use a rotary and a flapper if you have one, try a tick shaped pattern to lead the birds in and maybe a floater on the approach to give confidence, leave some good space between the decoys so they feel confident to get out in a rush. watch the dog on the sharp stubble sticks.

hope this helps and thanks for the post.

Flycoy

now why would i feel left out of the **** you come out with

You call it **** ( my stars by the way) but in all the time I have been on PW I have never seen a helpful post from you. If you are so experienced and expert in all matters pigeon decoying why don't you do more to help the novices on the forum?

but my shooting partner with all the knowledge and experience unfortunately had a heart attack and passed way last spring which is why i joined this forum for advice etc.

sorry your mate died in 2015 but you joined in 2013 bit of a contradiction... :hmm:

But yes get after them one of the best stubbles to decoy over..