6) easy to change 2wd/4wd (on the move)

7) big wing mirrors

8) roof rails as standard

9) spare wheel on tail gate

Bad:

1) likes to rev a lot

2) crashy/bumpy ride

3) leans in corners a bit

4) rear wheels can slip in the wet at junctions (happened to me last week at a round about; no traffic to my right, hardly any throttle as there was no need and rear wheels just started spinning)

5) not much seating adjustment

6) no steering adjustment

7) no electronic aids like stability/traction control (unless you buy a brand new one)

8) quite thirsty

9) can be blown around in strong wind

Hope this helps, I've had my Jimny for over a year now and that's what I've come up with :)

Just to add, they really are superb quirky, little cars. Although they aren't refined, they will happily get muddy, take abuse and do as you ask and get you and your kit home.

Would I recommend one? Yes, absolutely!

Would I have another one? Yes I would!

Eventually when it's time for mine to go, I'd love to be able to keep it in the garage, modify it and keep it as a fun car!

Regards

Dave

Im on my second,the 1st was fully off road modified and was unstopable.My second i bought when i stopped shooting but needed something for the allotmemt and fishing but reliable.Love mine,if fuel is a concern then looking at any 4X4 is out of the question.If you are going to be driving over fields ect in wet/muddy conditions then i would go for a 80% off road tyre.They are good on AT's like i have on at the moment but remember they are a light car and with AT's you will have to use 4WD more often than you would with a 80% mud tyre.Tray the back out and you'l get all the kit in you need,if you cant then your carrying too much stuff Oh dont worry about the stigma and the hairdresser jokes lol,those making them wont usually folly you into the thick stuff.At least you'll always make it home to get your hair done.

post-30855-0-09309100-1470585711_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-54751200-1470585739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

As sparkie says,the dread death wobble.Never experianced it though as standard Jimny & my previous had 5inch lift and bigger wheels but done proffesionaly so no wobble.Just test drive it 1st,wobble apparently comes on @ about 50mph (goes though once you increase speed) & is supposed to be a simple fix.Rust not an issue unless your only going to buy something really old.Lift the back seats (seat belt anchor points and remove the rear wheel jack cover).Also check the brake lines for corrosion.If you spend 4/5k you should get a minter.A pro chassis clean and underseal will set you back £250 but worth it.Stay away from modified as they are problem to sell on due to limiting your market and insurance.I've had two Jimny's as a second car (shooting /fishing).I wouldnt have one as a main car but then again i wouldnt have any 4x4 as my main car.A Jimny is simply and uncomplicated, not fast,comfortable enough for what i use it for (aircon and elect windows thats all i need),reliable,not bad on fuel,simple to work on and cheap to service £145 @ Suzuki,cheap to insure.But like any other car it depends what you want to spend,the more you spend the better car you will get.Buy from a good garage or main dealer and get a 2-3 yr warranty.

I have been told that the commonest cause of Jimny wheel wobble is using knobbly tyres on tarmac, because the extra vibration leads to rapid wear of the kingpins. This info came from a retired garage mechanic who runs his own Jimny (frequently over fields and tracks, but on normal road tyres), so I guess he ought to know what he is talking about.

You can get a set of updated shims from Suzuki for the kingpins.If your going to lift it get it done right(factory torque settings) & you will have no trouble.Running full muds on tarmac is horrible depending on the tread pattern 80/20's are about as high as i would go.Im just running a set of AT's as no longer shooting & just the odd track or grass when i go fishing.

Edited by Davyo