Beretta 686s

Blundy

What u mean Chris?

You saying it's not gonna be any use to me?

Should I sell it on you think??

I'm getting confused so many different answers I don't know what to do now lol

Blundy,

Use it and enjoy, if you get good at Skeet shooting full choke you will wee all over most people if you ever get to use a shotgun with Skeet or Cylinder. Don't worry too much, there's folk on here that get to technical, don't look at shooting as a science :no: look at it more as enjoying yourself :good::good:

Thx dougy

I had like one lesson at whitewater, tried bout 4 diff stands ,1 was rabbit , 1 was clay straight at and away from me others were goin across, showed us is it dtl and sleet but said leave till get used to sporting . Will gun I'm gettin be ok on what I shot on my lesson , we used a silver pigeon on lesson n never changed anything that's what's confusing me

Thx dougy

I had like one lesson at whitewater, tried bout 4 diff stands ,1 was rabbit , 1 was clay straight at and away from me others were goin across, showed us is it dtl and sleet but said leave till get used to sporting . Will gun I'm gettin be ok on what I shot on my lesson , we used a silver pigeon on lesson n never changed anything that's what's confusing me

No shortage of ink here Blundy, I find it hard to read abbreviated text stuff. Sorry.just takes me twice as long cus I ave to go ova it agin..

You may find that one Gun will vary from the next slightly even the same manufacturer , I am no expert in shooting shotgun, or anything for that matter on this forum, But I know its about the smile on your face. :yes:

Thx dougy

For the majority of clays 1/4 1/4 is good. As a beginner you'll struggle with full choke. Talk to your instructor, see what he suggests.

I bought a 1983 686 in 2004 as my first O/U when I was 14 and it has never let me down. It's shot pretty much every discipline of clays and anything from rabbits to geese.

Mines handles well and although quite light it will handle 50-100 clays no problem. Only time I have had a sore shoulder was on a simulated game day where I shot over 300 cartidges on one stand.

Just bought a new 690 field 3 however the 686 will still get plenty use!

Just shoot it and don't worry about the chokes. I shoot everything with a trap gun choked 3/4 and full. I don't experience smashed game as I use appropriate cartridges and shoot at sensible distances.

This change nothing, you will get used to it, reaming chokes out is pretty easy putting choke back in is ....Not so easy. .. Leave it alone. Felt wads faster loads even spreaders should you need them, more than one way of making a gun have a more open pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the gun guys , had lesson at whitewater with it . I let instructor give it once over then asked how much he would expect it to cost! To my surprise he said £1000 . So wanna thank you on here that said buy it, I did find it tough going though , the chokes are actually 3/4 and full so may have to get them opened up. I hit a few clays but as I shoot pcp at a range instructor said I'm rifling the gun ( not sure what that means ).

Think I'm gonna go out on my own tomorrow to see if can improve so any tips on technique is appreciated!

What I seem to be doing is aiming on clay not ahead also I'm ok on clays coming towards me but goin away from me I go over

Get yourself on the skeet if you can, practice on the middle 3 stands. It will or should force you to follow the clays. Try without loading a few times, and follow the clays, if you want shout bang then continue to follow through the clay.

Rifling is when you stop the gun after the shot, you will invariably be shooting behind the clays.

Oh and get yourself some 9s for skeet.

Got the gun guys , had lesson at whitewater with it . I let instructor give it once over then asked how much he would expect it to cost! To my surprise he said £1000 . So wanna thank you on here that said buy it, I did find it tough going though , the chokes are actually 3/4 and full so may have to get them opened up. I hit a few clays but as I shoot pcp at a range instructor said I'm rifling the gun ( not sure what that means ).

Think I'm gonna go out on my own tomorrow to see if can improve so any tips on technique is appreciated!

What I seem to be doing is aiming on clay not ahead also I'm ok on clays coming towards me but goin away from me I go over

Good advice from Dougy above on the skeet, for my contribution im well out of clays these days and was a Trap shooter anyway, but shot skeet obviously now and then and with a Trap gun, get some Felt wad 9s these should give you a b it more spread pattern a few sorts find a nice even one.

Dont get hung up about these choke tubes chokes are not a guarantee of anything one three quater choke barrel in one gun can and will pattern very different to the next and they can even be same make and model.

Stick with what you got concentrate on hiting things, thats the important thing.

Shooting anything i alway believe its as important to have a positive attitude to what your doing...Confidence.... if you like to put it that way.

If you are carying too much bagage in the back of your mind about the chokes in your gun you will tend to use these as an excuse for missing rather than acepting you just did it wrong.

Concentrate HARD dont gpo at it half hearted Concentrate . You will be suprised hhow soon you get used to this gun if you use it enough.

3 quater full is not ideal choking for a beginer but choke alone i never feel is the sole contributor that adds up to a miss, if the shooter did everything else spot on. Anybody relying on choke alone for a result is set to fail.

Just enjoy it as it is learn what its capable of and develop you skill set around this and you will be fine.

Beginners want confidence otherwise they soon get either frustrated and shoot even worse or feel embarised with others watching and give it up

AS others have said skeet is probably the best starters sport in that you learn all the basic skills like how much lead to give on set speed targets and can see the improvements over time, when confident then sporting opens up more challenging targets. Again as stated number 9 shot size cartridges give you a slightly better chance of a hit on skeet (more pellets in the cartridge)

Just get chokes opened up and then forget all abouth them untill you feel your quite a handy shot or you start DTL

Rifling the gun is when you point it like a rifle & aim it at the target - really only done for a sitting target or perhaps a target going straight away in front of you.

Rifle shooting is like snooker where you look down the cue - shotgunning is all about movement more like golf or tennis where you whack the ball with the swinging bat. At least, that's how I describe it.