Last bag on rape stubble?

motty

I had yesterday off work to shoot some pigeons. I had planned to shoot a field several miles away (rape stubble), but when I arrived at 11am (and watched for 30 minutes) there was very little pigeon movement. This was unexpected, but this is pigeon shooting. Maybe they would turn up later. I made the decision to go a more local rape field, where I thought numbers might have built up nicely. I was right. At least 400 were spread across the field, and plenty more left the trees as I drove round.

I weighed up where I thought would give me the best chance - multiple lines were expected and the tree line behind me was certain to be a draw.

I set up quickly. I used my fuds for a change. These were put on 2ft spikes to stand well above the stubble for maximum visibility. A load of shells and a couple of bouncers were used to start off.

The first pigeons decoyed confidently. I was unsure how they would react, as I had heard that someone else had shot in the area recently. I decided to put out the magnet. It worked, too.

I was regularly getting pigeons to land, some just feet from the hide. This made getting doubles fairly simple. There were also lots of juvenile pigeons around, the most I have seen so far.

I was shooting well, and I really was getting some great long range kills with the Kent 2016 28gm 7.5. I shall get a thousand soon.

I invited Muncher to join me once he had finished work. I let him have the better part of the shooting from then on. He shot some cracking birds with his Mossberg 12 pump.

I had to pack up slightly earlier than I would want. The pigeons were still decoying, but I had to be home by 7.30pm. We packed up at 6.30pm.

This may be my last shoot on rape stubble this year, but it was a good one. Dozens of fields have now been cultivated and I will have to turn my attention to wheat/barley/beans/peas/linseed etc.

The total bag for yesterday was 144 pigeons - 22 of those were youngsters.

WP_20160810_0011_zpsds8lcvze.jpg

If that was your last day on rape stubble what a way to finish and a very good write up of the day as well , strange about the young ones , last week where I was shooting, I was getting a lot of youngsters and yesterday I was around 10 miles away and yes we did get some but they only made a very small part of the bag .