Walking to heel

Fredwalton

I was just wondering how people train dogs to walk to heel. We have a 2.5 yr old springador who is terrible on the lead ( our fault for not doing anything sooner) but my wife in expecting in October and I want our dog not to pull on the lead anymore. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. We use a choke chain atm but open to any suggestions.

When our dog was young he would walk fine for me but pull for the missis which she found hard trying to push pram as well. We got one of these to stop him http://www.waggingtail.co.uk/ancol-happy-at-heel-dog-harness-and-dvd-size-46.html?utm_source=pricecomparison&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleshopping&utm_term=Ancol+Happy+at+Heel+Dog+Harness+and+Dvd+-+Size+4-6+&utm_content=18651&gclid=CjwKEAjwiru9BRDwyKmR08L3iS0SJABN8T4v8f3tSLWTCDUYWaee6jUOPa64g1dFHnzoiwWh_l7kYRoCjMDw_wcB and it works well, if he pulls it squeezes him across the chest. With the harness on he'll walk at heel fine for her now

As felly said change direction esp 180's, stopping as soon as dog goes in front and altering speeds, esp slow speeds as dog has to concentrate more.

Some of it could be a dominance thing so making it sit and wait at gates doors etc so u always go first

Generally speaking body harness's don't help as really ur spreading the weight across dogs shoulders making it easier to pull.

Make sure u got ur slip lead (or choke chain) on the right way round so it should be slack most of time and jerk pull it sideways or upwards when u have to rather than straight back.

Using a rope lead to make afigure of 8 can work well with determined pulers but u have to be quite gentle if u use it.

But any halter type collar should also help too

Use a slip lead but instead of having the lead laying on the dogs neck lift it up and almost tuck it behind its ears hold the lead half way down but straight above the head, now your not trying to choke,lift or hold the head up and ive no idea why this works but it usually does tho i may not have described how to do it that well......

Edited by millrace

Use a slip lead but instead of having the lead laying on the dogs neck lift it up and almost tuck it behind its ears hold the lead half way down but straight above the head, now your not trying to choke,lift or hold the head up and ive no idea why this works but it usually does tho i may not have described how to do it that well......

A lot of the hpr folk use that technique, they use the stopper on the lead to keep the nose high up on neck so lead is still slack most of the time, sometimes with a persistant puler they tuck the ear into the noose part.

Must admit not a fan of it myself, but just another way.

Wot ever technique u use the most important thing is to be consistant, patience and plenty of praise/treats when doing well and keep repeating it.

Also make sure ur making it walk in the exact same position every time, ie not level 1 time, 6" infront next time 12" time after then it sometimes gets trouble for being 12" in front

I posted something similar not so long back - as with the advice above, plenty of patience and stick with it.

What worked for me was surprisingly enough being consistent and staying patient. Every time our dog pulled, I would turn around, walk back a dozen steps or so and sit her down until I was ready to start walking again. The first 3 or 4 days were slow going but after that she got the hang of it as did I, and 5 or so weeks later she's a changed dog. Not perfect, but light years ahead of where we were.