part ex a dodgy car with dealer ethics

paul1966

a question for the pigeon watch massive i have a car that is loosing a bit of coolant, after investigating i think that the head gasket is the problem, the car runs fine but looses about a litre of coolant every couple of weeks. i want to change cars and have seen one in a local dealer i like. now i want to part ex my car, should i mention about the coolant problem or not? to be honest i think i might mention its loosing a bit of coolant and leave it at that, i don't know for sure its the head gasket. what would you do?

sounds more like a pin hole in the radiator..........

that was my first thought but the coolant reservoir looks like its being over pressured and coolant is being pushed out of the overflow, it could be the oil cooler but there is no sign of oil in the coolant.

its a local smaller dealer which is why i feel i should mention a coolant loss, (a) i do not want to potentially pass on the problem to the new buyer, even though they sell cars with a six month warranty. and (b) i have been taught to treat people the way i would like to be treated, even though sometimes i could be taken for a mug.

I would just tell them that you think that it has got a small leak in the radiator as you have to top the water up every now and then that way if you do get the car and have any problems with it you will not feel bad about taking it back.

Am I not correct in thinking that if the head gasket is leaking then there would be water in the oil when you take the cap off.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I would just tell them that you think that it has got a small leak in the radiator as you have to top the water up every now and then that way if you do get the car and have any problems with it you will not feel bad about taking it back.

thats my thinking, we are not talking mega money, the car i am looking at is about £3000

heard it does not work too well with diesels

Well I used it in a ford 4600 tractor with a porous block ( the engine was basically srcap ) it wasn't just losing a bit of coolent it was running straight into the sump. And now 10 months later its still running fine and not losing any coolent.

When horse traders became less common they moved to trading cars caveat emptor to them mister dont worry about it pass them it on, they will only move it further on down the line one reason i wont buy from the trade .

Fortunate enough to know my way around cars bikes i dont trust dealers .... any dealers.

Well I used it in a ford 4600 tractor with a porous block ( the engine was basically srcap ) it wasn't just losing a bit of coolent it was running straight into the sump. And now 10 months later its still running fine and not losing any coolent.

might be worth a try then

When horse traders became less common they moved to trading cars caveat emptor to them mister dont worry about it pass them it on, they will only move it further on down the line one reason i wont buy from the trade .

Fortunate enough to know my way around cars bikes i dont trust dealers .... any dealers.

This all depends on how much you are paying for the car/truck buying cheep from a privet person is good but you will have no comeback if something goes wrong but hopefully you will have saved enough money by getting it cheep to pay for the repairs.

I tend to go the other way by from a trusted garage that if something goes wrong they will put it rite not all car dealers are crooks there are some good ones out there when I got my last car I paid perhaps a bit more than from a privet person but when I went back to him a month or so later with a problem about £200 it would have cost me he had it in and the problem was fixed.

Imagine you tell him and he offers you a lot less, then in a few weeks you find that the car youve had off him has a fault and he wont honour the warranty,, you'd wish you hadnt said anything! The way i look at it is: he's the professional car man and he should check the car over before he agrees to the part ex and make an offer based on what he sees/ finds,,, if he doesn't see a fault thats his problem 'you're not a mechanic'.

A friend of mine works at a car dealership and he reckons they will do the bare minimum to get a car running well enough to sell, so fill it with coolant and play them at their own game.

Edited by carpentermark

There will always be people with a bad story to tell about everything doctors hospitals vets electricians heating companies builders the list goes on and on. I think first of all how long have they been going if it is a long time look on the internet and ask around to see if anyone has had any problems with them. I tend to think if a place is any good it will have been there for a long time when it comes down to it anyone can let you down but I think that life is better if you trust people to do the rite thing now and then.

So lovely to know that so many think knowingly shafting dealers isn't immoral. :no::| We get cars in chop occasionally that have faults that must have been obvious to the previous owner, nothing you can really do about it but what goes round come round. On the rare occasion the fault was really serious we have had the pleasure of telling the customer who rings up with minor issues on their new car that they're welcome to back the deal :lol: .

This is an issue of ones morality, if you want to con people and pass your own problem over to them then at least have the decency not to call dealers the bad guy.

its a local smaller dealer which is why i feel i should mention a coolant loss, (a) i do not want to potentially pass on the problem to the new buyer, even though they sell cars with a six month warranty. and (b) i have been taught to treat people the way i would like to be treated, even though sometimes i could be taken for a mug.

Say nothing,just like they will do with the car you buy thats why we have AA inspections.Ive always got a 3rd party inspection on any second hand car.On e dealer got right upset 'wonder why'Another said the car was mint and faultless, ok but i still want the AA to check it over.One hour later they called to say the car was no longer available and come and collect your refund. Edited by Davyo