part ex a dodgy car with dealer ethics

paul1966

This all depends on how much you are paying for the car/truck buying cheep from a privet person is good but you will have no comeback if something goes wrong but hopefully you will have saved enough money by getting it cheep to pay for the repairs.

I tend to go the other way by from a trusted garage that if something goes wrong they will put it rite not all car dealers are crooks there are some good ones out there when I got my last car I paid perhaps a bit more than from a privet person but when I went back to him a month or so later with a problem about £200 it would have cost me he had it in and the problem was fixed.

We have traditionaly tried to buy cars trucks tractors off people we know or hear are selling them, or look for them, there are people who are trying to sell on cars for cash rather than trade them in.

Its a complex business the motor trade the leasing thing and how much can you spare a month brigade are turning the used car market into a bit of a desert up to a point.

I am not sure where it will end, but however it ends the consumer will end up loosing not the motor trade.

You cant run bussinesses long term how the trade is now, big fancy showrooms staff running about doing nothing and a spares department run from a desk by a blouse and a computer file, with accountants advising not having money in spares.

Everything is a wating game these days courtesey cars this deal that deal and Car leasing packages, its just not my thing.

We a few cars and vans the newest is a three year old cittroen cactus diesel bought private with 3300 miles on it , old boy lost his licence when his health failled the trade were taking the **** i know because i drove him 300 miles trying to move it for him main agents and traders i SELL TO.

I decided to buy it for the wife and sell her peugeot 308. I gave him 500 quid more than the highest price offered him that day, the old boy was stubon, he fought against this only wanting the true market vallue from me, but i gave him it. But three days latter the brother rolls up with a David Brown 770 on his transporter, I knew where the tractor had come from well enough i had expressed an interest in it 15 years ago, The old chap had given me it to get me back for the 500 quid i gave him.

It dont work everytime dont get me wrong, but i tend to believe what goes around comes around, help people if you can in the end i like to think everyone ends up happy its just the way i do things.

Dont get me wrong i have been bitten before and its generaly by the trade one way or another, greed seems to drive dealing these days, too much paperwork and accountants in the way, getting to speak with the man himself is near impossible.

Remember the old scrap yards old guy wanders out of a shed covered in grease takes your cash after you have ripped of your part, Look at scrap yards now, A sealled yard a desk and they take credit cards. :lol:

Glad i knew the old days sad they have gone forever, but wile there are decent people in this world there will still be good deals, now finding them is getting harder ill give you that.

We have traditionaly tried to buy cars trucks tractors off people we know or hear are selling them, or look for them, there are people who are trying to sell on cars for cash rather than trade them in.

Its a complex business the motor trade the leasing thing and how much can you spare a month brigade are turning the used car market into a bit of a desert up to a point.

I am not sure where it will end, but however it ends the consumer will end up loosing not the motor trade.

You cant run bussinesses long term how the trade is now, big fancy showrooms staff running about doing nothing and a spares department run from a desk by a blouse and a computer file, with accountants advising not having money in spares.

Everything is a wating game these days courtesey cars this deal that deal and Car leasing packages, its just not my thing.

We a few cars and vans the newest is a three year old cittroen cactus diesel bought private with 3300 miles on it , old boy lost his licence when his health failled the trade were taking the **** i know because i drove him 300 miles trying to move it for him main agents and traders i SELL TO.

I decided to buy it for the wife and sell her peugeot 308. I gave him 500 quid more than the highest price offered him that day, the old boy was stubon, he fought against this only wanting the true market vallue from me, but i gave him it. But three days latter the brother rolls up with a David Brown 770 on his transporter, I knew where the tractor had come from well enough i had expressed an interest in it 15 years ago, The old chap had given me it to get me back for the 500 quid i gave him.

It dont work everytime dont get me wrong, but i tend to believe what goes around comes around, help people if you can in the end i like to think everyone ends up happy its just the way i do things.

Dont get me wrong i have been bitten before and its generaly by the trade one way or another, greed seems to drive dealing these days, too much paperwork and accountants in the way, getting to speak with the man himself is near impossible.

Remember the old scrap yards old guy wanders out of a shed covered in grease takes your cash after you have ripped of your part, Look at scrap yards now, A sealled yard a desk and they take credit cards. :lol:

Glad i knew the old days sad they have gone forever, but wile there are decent people in this world there will still be good deals, now finding them is getting harder ill give you that.

Can I ask why you drove round instead of calling to get underwrites ? It sounds very much like the cactus was a few months old which would mean it would have to be pitched much cheaper than a new one could be had for since they are likely to have cheap finance deals available, not to mention the fact a one owner brand new colour of ones choice is a big pull. This is the reality of business, not what I call dealer taking the mickey, what exactly do you want them to do ? Offer £1500 less than what he had paid ?

Dealers are running a business, amazes me people are prepared to pay £150 for a family meal when the ingredients cost £20 but begrudge a dealer making 3%-10% margin (trust me it's not more when you deduct everything including VAT and taxes) !

I think that in the not to distant future we will all be driving electric cars and we will not be buying them we will be leasing them as when the batteries get old and worn out as they are so expensive to replace the cars will just go back to be rebuilt or scrapped I think that is what they are doing with the Tezlers spelt that wrong but you no what I am getting at.

Can I ask why you drove round instead of calling to get underwrites ? It sounds very much like the cactus was a few months old which would mean it would have to be pitched much cheaper than a new one could be had for since they are likely to have cheap finance deals available, not to mention the fact a one owner brand new colour of ones choice is a big pull. This is the reality of business, not what I call dealer taking the mickey, what exactly do you want them to do ? Offer £1500 less than what he had paid ?

Dealers are running a business, amazes me people are prepared to pay £150 for a family meal when the ingredients cost £20 but begrudge a dealer making 3%-10% margin (trust me it's not more when you deduct everything including VAT and taxes) !

It was 18 months old one of the first ones 1.6 diesel the guy had hardly used it, we rode around trying to move it on to general car dealers the main agents were taking the rise when it came to a cash purchase, the general dealers wanted to see it he wanted the vmoney there and then. thats why we drove about.

he expected a hit the guy is a farmer used to buying new gear.

I think that in the not to distant future we will all be driving electric cars and we will not be buying them we will be leasing them as when the batteries get old and worn out as they are so expensive to replace the cars will just go back to be rebuilt or scrapped I think that is what they are doing with the Tezlers spelt that wrong but you no what I am getting at.

Probably right. Time will tell.

First go to webuyanycar or one of the other sites, and see what sort of price they offer you. They're owned by BCA, and auction every car they buy, so all cars sold as caveat emptor.

They're sometimes better on prices than you'd get offered for part-ex, and if a cash buyer then you might get a better deal too.

First go to webuyanycar or one of the other sites, and see what sort of price they offer you. They're owned by BCA, and auction every car they buy, so all cars sold as caveat emptor.

They're sometimes better on prices than you'd get offered for part-ex, and if a cash buyer then you might get a better deal too.

that's not a bad idea, i will have a look later, supposed to be viewing a car today so will see what trade in price i get offered compared with the we buy any car estimate.

With WBAC be spot on on the online form as they will look for anything to bring the online quote down,They say they will honor the online quote but only if its an accurate description of the car(even the slightest scratch will effect the original quote). In my experience they have never beaten Jennings ford on our last trade in 62plate focus zetec 1.6 TDI, Jennings quoted £800 more.

I work in a mean dealer and you be surprised how many people trade cars in with major faults and don't say a thing. To be honest i would do the same only the good stuff gets kept and rest gets sent to auction garage isn't even bothered as long as it drives onto the wagon to take it to auction they don't care that's why garages try and pay as little as possible for part ex changes

As you know I am looking for a new car...

I have been offered between £2k and £2450 as a trade in price... WBOC offered £3256 but know they will try and knock down... for a car they could put on the forecourt at £4300+ easy... so not quite a 3-10% mark up even after the prep work

As you know I am looking for a new car...

I have been offered between £2k and £2450 as a trade in price... WBOC offered £3256 but know they will try and knock down... for a car they could put on the forecourt at £4300+ easy... so not quite a 3-10% mark up even after the prep work

Coulda woulda is different to reality. If you're truly convinced they could easily pitch it for £4300 then why don't you advertise it on Autotrader for £3450 and accept a couple of hundred less ? Because it's not as easy as all that.

A car pitched for £4k would usually trade at £2500+, £60 trade valet, £200 on body prep (I know yours is perfect, every customer who rings me up tells me theirs is), £150 on tyres, £100 minor service being kind, £50 MOT, £140 cost of dealer warranty, £10 wash on day of delivery, over allowance on px coming in (write down), you make less than a grand IF you sell it for screen price, then pay 20% VAT straight away and another 25% corporation tax laters, from the remaining £550 you have to pay the salesman, the rates, the rent, lights, phone..................................easy money.

Coulda woulda is different to reality. If you're truly convinced they could easily pitch it for £4300 then why don't you advertise it on Autotrader for £3450 and accept a couple of hundred less ? Because it's not as easy as all that.

A car pitched for £4k would usually trade at £2500+, £60 trade valet, £200 on body prep (I know yours is perfect, every customer who rings me up tells me theirs is), £150 on tyres, £100 minor service being kind, £50 MOT, £140 cost of dealer warranty, £10 wash on day of delivery, over allowance on px coming in (write down), you make less than a grand IF you sell it for screen price, then pay 20% VAT straight away and another 25% corporation tax laters, from the remaining £550 you have to pay the salesman, the rates, the rent, lights, phone..................................easy money.

Don't forget the fact that you've got, even for a small place £50k plus sitting on the lot, depreciating all the time.

As you say. People seem to look at the headline numbesr and think that it's easy money rolling in. The reality is rather different

Of course, if it's so easy, then the obvious question is why on earth they're still putting in the grind at work, when they could be making loads of profit AND have all the free time in the world too.

Don't forget the fact that you've got, even for a small place £50k plus sitting on the lot, depreciating all the time.

As you say. People seem to look at the headline numbesr and think that it's easy money rolling in. The reality is rather different

Of course, if it's so easy, then the obvious question is why on earth they're still putting in the grind at work, when they could be making loads of profit AND have all the free time in the world too.

I was typing quick and didn't really milk it at all, there are loads of other small things that people never think about for instance they prolly think dealers pump their own cars full of juice from the px's flowing in :lol::rolleyes: in reality they always roll in on fumes so in between the valet and getting it sold which may be months you invariably have to put £20 fuel in for test drives etc, then on the day of hand over the punter says I can't believe you make two grand a car and don't bother filling them to the brim when sold. :yes:

It's a rare car that goes out which the dealer doesn't subsequently have to do something to which isn't covered under warranty. Must dash and get my Rolex cleaned.

ps. Ask any dealer what he pays for advertising, ours is £2000 plus per month for Autotrader alone.

Edited by Hamster

I traded my old Jeep Grand Cherokee to a main dealer and still got what I considered a good price despite telling them the known faults. Bought myself a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara which I am very happy with.

Every time I have sold a bike or car, I have always been completely honest about the condition.

I traded my old Jeep Grand Cherokee to a main dealer and still got what I considered a good price despite telling them the known faults. Bought myself a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara which I am very happy with.

Every time I have sold a bike or car, I have always been completely honest about the condition.

Well there's not many people as honest as you out there I have even seen sum sales colleges say to customers who've complained about a little rattle from door trim say you didn't seem that bothered about the car you traded in has had the engine dodged up and cobbled together that's just blown up on use on motorway

Very nearly had me in tears this little story.surprised so many dealers are still banging in the hours when there is so little money to be made.;-)

Any dealer, whether firearms or cars or whatever else, will always cry poverty. They don't seem happy to make a profit, because the profit isn't enough. Always wanting more etc.

On the other side of the coin, if you trade a car into an independant dealer, most of the time the car gets washed and shoved onto the forecourt the same day. The dealers don't bother themselves with 150 point checks etc, as they cost time and money. They take your word for it and hope that you have been honest with them. This is the risk the dealer takes. It obviously seems to pay off, as the second hand motor trade is still a huge moneymaker.

Cars are then passed onto innocent punters, who the dealers are hoping won't find any faults with the cars within their warranty period. The whole business is unscrupulous. Honest dealers are hard to come by, but so too are honest private sellers. It's a bit of a viscious circle. At the same time, if every private seller who sold their car to a dealer was honest, then the dealer would have a very easy way of making money. The hard work is done for them, so they action the repairs and sell the cars on for a lot more than what they paid, obviously having used the sellers reports of faults as a means to reduce the amount they pay for the vehicles in the first place.

Edited by Cannon

Very nearly had me in tears this little story.surprised so many dealers are still banging in the hours when there is so little money to be made.;-)

There are two ways to make a living in cars, the pitch boys working with £50k nan left them, displaying cars next to a disused former garage who do the minimal prep and wing it when it comes to customer service, these boys will take their wages out of the cash and show small profits so they pay little tax or VAT.

The ones doing it properly whether franchised dealer or more respectable outlet need to charge higher prices and supplement the profit streams via things like extended warranties, Supagard sales and finance commission.

If you do all of it properly there is money to be made but make no mistake actual studies have proved that profit per unit over the course of a year is in the lower hundreds once you deduct expenses.

the dealer i have gone to has been there for twenty years in a smallish village where word would soon get around if he was no good, i looked on social media as well and the only comments about the garage were positive. he gets all his trade in cars from a large main dealer. i was honest and said it was loosing coolant, in the end i accepted £300 which i was happy with, no idea what he will do with the car, i will mention the coolant leak again when i pick the new car up, so there is no misunderstanding.