Woodcock and snipe shooting.

Nmb

Hello.

Our syndicate is having a woodcock and snipe day on the 19th of November on our ground near Banchory Aberdeenshire.

I was just wondering whether anyone would be interested in joining us.

It is a walked up day which takes place on our large area of moss and marsh land.

It won't be a 100 bird day and obviously its reliant on wild birds however we have generally managed to get bags of 6-10 woodcock/snipe,a few pheasants, partridges and pigeons etc. it's worth mentioning that the shot- bird ratio is usually 8-10:1 as they are very difficult to hit!

if our ponds are not frozen we will also have a duck flight.

We have a bothy and there will be some hot food for lunch along with plenty tea and coffee etc.

Would be looking for £80 for the day including a duck flight and lunch.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Nick

Edited by Nmb

• 2 months later...

Am stuck offshore, otherwise I would have been there like a shot....... Oh for a left and right woodcock!!!!!

Mike

Sorry to hear you can't make it Mike

Woodcock are a great bird and a left and right would be amazing! I hit one but missed the second a couple of seasons ago however this could finally be the year!

Nick

Hope you get a decent day for it.

After a very poor show last season we saw 4 woodcock flight just on dark last night whiles waiting for the ducks coming in and then rose 3 on a short walk today but only getting the gun up to one.Presuming they have been moving in with this moon as before this last 2 days we have only seen 1 this season.

Edited by sako751sg

I'll keep updating this thread for future days.

We always have one after the full moon in November and depending on stocks we have another in December.

We did a snipe drive on Saturday and it was absolutely full of them! The guns managed 9 which was a great effort so looking good for some shooting on Saturday.

Hope you get a decent day for it.

After a very poor show last season we saw 4 woodcock flight just on dark last night whiles waiting for the ducks coming in and then rose 3 on a short walk today but only getting the gun up to one.Presuming they have been moving in with this moon as before this last 2 days we have only seen 1 this season.

Last season was hard work for us as they appeared to arrive after the November full moon as normal however after some frost I think they move to the coast.

I had a walk last Wednesday without a dog and flushed a couple on our moss so hopefully should be a few about.

Nothing better for me than my springer flushing a woodcock and then retrieving it after a nice shot!

Last season was hard work for us as they appeared to arrive after the November full moon as normal however after some frost I think they move to the coast.

I had a walk last Wednesday without a dog and flushed a couple on our moss so hopefully should be a few about.

Nothing better for me than my springer flushing a woodcock and then retrieving it after a nice shot!

I took Mac and the wee dug a walk on Friday and a few showing.

We started off with the geese,then added pheasant,crow,snipe,woodcock and rabbit then mallard and teal with the old fella in the evening at a pond.Great day.

018_zpslckv8n4d.jpg

019_zpsvc9ybm10.jpg

Remember to be able to claim a left and right on woodcock the gun must not leave the shoulder.

Well that's what I was told.

Well sorry, but that is not correct. I shot 1 in front and then turned and shot 1 behind the line of guns on a driven day. I had to drop the stock from my shoulder, turn, re-position feet remount and shoot, dropping the second bird. I, like you, thought that I had missed out on the bottle of Balvenie ! However I was shooting elsewhere and was relating my 'near miss' over lunch. One of the other guns corrected me and told me to contact the Shooting Times and clarify the matter. Official verdict :- "If you have to drop the stock from your shoulder for safety reasons, in order to turn, it still counts as a right and left." I was sent the application pack and now have the certificate to prove it. The bottle of Balvenie was sunk later in the season !

I no longer shoot Woodcock.

Edited by Westley

I took Mac and the wee dug a walk on Friday and a few showing.

We started off with the geese,then added pheasant,crow,snipe,woodcock and rabbit then mallard and teal with the old fella in the evening at a pond.Great day.

018_zpslckv8n4d.jpg

019_zpsvc9ybm10.jpg

Looked like a fantastic day! Beats a driven day hands down in my opinion!

Hope you have a great day and get your left and right,i missed out a couple of years ago as i didn't see the second one coming through the woods and was reloading the spent cartridge. Managed to hit both when the shoot captain said shame you reloaded you ******** ******** you can guess the rest. :lol: he had been watching me.

Shot a woodcock the last time i was out 5th November,it didn't have much on it so must have been fresh across the water.