Good afternoon (for me) on OSR

belly47

Saturday was my first day off work for a few weeks so I headed to one of permissions to check out the stubbles.

The farmer had requested that I do not shoot at the end of the field near houses as one of his neighbours keeps racing pigeons, and they were in training for a big race and he didn't want them distressed by gun shots!!! Couldn't believe my ears but said no problem ill go to the other end.

Due to work I don't get the time to spend watching fields to see where pigeons are building up so just have to go with what I see when I arrive. The signs were not that good when I got there about 10.30 so I spent a while parked up chatting with the farmer.

When another shooter arrived I decided to just go and set up away from the houses and see what happens, as much as to stop the other guy getting on this field. The guy that turned up only ever makes an appearance at this time of year. It's only ever my friend and I out during the winter but that's the way it goes I suppose.

So I set up at 12.30 and had,for me anyway, a really good afternoon, pigeons started to appear at fairly regular intervals from behind me mainly, and they circled back directly over my pattern.

It's taken a long while for things to click into place for me on the pigeons and I shot 43 and was well pleased as was the farmer.

I managed to pick 35 as the rest landed in the the thick stuff behind me and I couldn't find them.

IMG_20160814_102226_zpsykkjxbck.jpg

Well done and good choice to make the move to be on the field first. I think that the Butterfly Shooters have always been around and most farms have them but if you challenge them they can not see any problem in shooting possibly two or three times a year. Some quote other interests and disabilities which preclude them from covering the crops at other times etc. At the end of the day if the farmer gives them permission they can shoot.

Good result , well done.