Length of pull

nicknsd1978

I've been shooting my silver pigeon now with something just not feeling right. When mounting I've only just realised how much I had to push my head forward to get the 2 finger measurement between the tip of my nose and the second knuckle of my thumb. When remounting the gun with my eyes shut and not really pulling it into my shoulder with my cheek hard down on the stock my nose and thumb are miles away from each other. How much do others pull the gun into the shoulder.....I've never really thought about it before. I've ordered a thinner recoiled pad to see if it helps

Guest cookoff013

There are about a dozen variables and factors involved here that make it impossible for anyone to sort you out over the net. Get a session with a competent instructor.

If you tell us where you are you'll get recommendations on here.

+1 how it feels is immaterial.

you need a fitting session and maybe a go on a pattern plate to work out the poi-poa differences, then go shoot some clays when its al together,

3 sensible replies.

Some points to note:

The two fingers is not set in stone.

Assuming right handed, where your left hand is and what you're doing with it can have an effect.

In an ideal world, with a correct stance, mount and fit you should be able to pull the trigger once the gun comes into your shoulder (not the top of your arm) without any further "sighting".

Guest cookoff013

most guns i try (berettas and miroku) have been short in the LOP.

when i added a pad to increase the lop it pulled the poi to poa, it just nudged it down a smidge. at 17 yards or so means very little, 40 yards it means alot.

missing alot of clays tells only one story, the shot is not going near the clay.

pattern plate diagnoses where the shots going, adjusting the stock etc brings these together...

then going on a session of clays can help.

one of the most common clays to do this is a straight flat away, is essentially a poi/poa merge test. then after that shoot whatever,

high bird shooting can be tougher because the larger distances to target, (highbird meaning high pigeon / peasents) driven shots can cause problems if the poi is too high due to poor gunfit. meaning the shot still can go way out infront !

I would have thought mounting the gun correctly is more important than how many fingers.??.

Surely if you mount the gun,it is either hard to settle in the shoulder,or possibly to short= smack on the jaw,,where does your finger sit on the trigger,??,, hard to tell without seeing you mount it..

Gun to cheek,,not the other way round,,you need advice from someone who knows how it should be..

I would recommend that you seek advice from someone skilled in gunfitting .

A very rough guide is if it is too short your nose will be close or touching your thumbs base joint, if it is too long it will snag on your clothing whilst mounting from gundown to gun up for high driven targets.