toyota or Mitsubishi pick up

kody

Around 7 grand mark double cab

Have a look at auto trader odds are the Mitsubishi will be 5 years younger or half the mileage of the equivalent Toyota. 7 k will get you a new shape l200 on an 08 or 09 plate and if you are lucky a decent 70k mile example. The toyotas around that budget will be ancient

It has to be Toyota I would think, from those two.

Was perusing a brand new Isuzu crew cab pick up at Lowther last weekend, when a bloke overheard me say to mate that they were good trucks and so much better looking than the L200.

'Thus nowt wrang wi L200's lad' he said with a smile. 'Avad three'.

'If they're that good how come you're on your third, rather than still on your first?, says I with a smile.

He looked back at me and put a finger up to the side of his nose, and with a conspiratorial wink said. 'Tax, lad. Tax.' :)

It has to be Toyota I would think, from those two.

Was perusing a brand new Isuzu crew cab pick up at Lowther last weekend, when a bloke overheard me say to mate that they were good trucks and so much better looking than the L200.

'Thus nowt wrang wi L200's lad' he said with a smile. 'Avad three'.

'If they're that good how come you're on your third, rather than still on your first?, says I with a smile.

He looked back at me and put a finger up to the side of his nose, and with a conspiratorial wink said. 'Tax, lad. Tax.' :)

Currently looking to change our Defender.

I wouldn't go near an L200... but my comment is on the Isuzu - my Rav4 was in an independent garage today for service & MOT. He has a very fresh looking Isuzu sitting in the forecourt so I started asking if it's new in/for sale.

Reply was no... needs a few repairs. It's not even 3yr old and his words were "it's falling to bits underneath".

I was set on buying one aswell! (he didn't know that). Ford Ranger it is now!

Toyota HiLux are good (tow capacity rules it out for me though), but unless you buy new - your being ripped off.

I can only speak as I find. A local plant operator has had Isuzu pick ups, crew cabs for years. They don't have a soft life and he swears by them.

I have no personal experience to draw on but I have been impressed by the number of Isuzus in the remoter parts of the highlands where they must have a very hard life.

Round here, L200s have a poor image problem in my opinion because of the number you see loaded down with bling

Regarding the tax thing, anybody who buys a new vehicle to save tax needs to change his accountant or buy a calculator.

Edited by Vince Green

Very happy with my l200, new shape. We have Toyotas at work, very good trucks. But it depends on what you want from it.

If it's to be a all round family / work / shooting vehicle then I'd say Mitsubishi more room in cab and I get a better driving position. The gearbox and super select 4wd is excellent, very smooth. If it's a work / shooting vehicle then I'd go for Toyota. Better at towing than mine, more bhp I suppose. Got the euro 4 or 5 engine in it, can't remember which one, but at £140 road tax a year it's a big saving on the new engines. Toyota is solidly built with a very good pedigree. Bodywork seems tougher and able to withstand knocks better. Mine will pull a trailer full of sheep no problem but the Toyota seems to have the edge with a firmer feel and better response.

If I was in the market for a new truck would I seriously look around? Definitely.

With all the manufacturers upping their game and taking the pickup market seriously and not considering it redneck there's a lot of specs to choose from and some very good cheaper alternatives.

Would I change my l200? No. With a decent set of tyres and what I've said above it suits me fine. It's a all-rounder and it does it very well.

You pays your money you takes your choice.

When it comes to 4x4's esp 2nd hand it really is more important to pick the right motor rather than the right make.

1 thats had an easier life, no tow bar got vat paid etc will usually be a better buy than an abused better make.

U can speak o 10 different folk and theyll tell u 10 different things, most have some niggling/major problems of some sort.

Just like most things guns, cars tractors 1 person will love 1 kind while his mate hates his and both using it for same thing.

L200's are generally cheap as so common but probably haven't got the build quality of others, i've had 2 with no real problems (yet) but ur getting a far newer motor with less miles than a 'better' brand

They reckon the new l200 is a class leader in loads of different areas, althou it is also quite a lot dearer than it was.

A mate of mine sells them and bought as many of the old stock as he could, he knows the while new ones are better farmers etc don't really care and would rather have a cheaper version.

Toyota over Mitsubishi. The l200 has problem with the front lower crank pulley disintegrating. Toyota D4D is a very good engine.

Which is a harmonic balancing pulley and a 150 fix and seems to be on pre 2006 models For 7k the Toyota or Isuzu people are suggesting would be a dog

Edited by al4x