Petition to stop threatening behaviour by anti's.

Bear68

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164891

Not sure if this link will work, but it is a petition to introduce a law to stop anti's harassing / intimidating those who hunt, shoot and fish.Please sign if you support it.

Pointless, there's already laws to cover this, what you need is decent coppers who understand those laws

Pointless, there's already laws to cover this, what you need is decent coppers who understand those laws

This! This petition is as bad as that thread saying they're going to get new laws to ban "zombie knives", which everyone on here slated.

There are already laws to cover harassment and I'm sure there is a piece of law about stoping someone going about their legal activities.

Police and prosecution need to use the laws we have, no make news laws that they also won't even apply!

This! This petition is as bad as that thread saying they're going to get new laws to ban "zombie knives", which everyone on here slated.

There are already laws to cover harassment and I'm sure there is a piece of law about stoping someone going about their legal activities.

Police and prosecution need to use the laws we have, no make news laws that they also won't even apply!

Agreed. The laws are already in place, just needs police to have the balls (or knowledge) to enforce.

I agree; but one aspect that I don't believe is covered by the law is the wearing of balaclavas and masks which can prevent perpetrators being identified. For that reason alone I think a review of the law would be worthwhile.

Edited by Bear68

I agree; but one aspect that I don't believe is covered by the law is the wearing of balaclavas and masks which can prevent perpetrators being identified. For that reason alone I think a review of the law would be worthwhile.

If you find the wearing of balaclavas intimidating then there are laws that can be used to combat this.

You can't just ban balaclavas, or any other type of head wear...as an example, ban balaclavas the antis could just wear motorcycle helmets and were not gonna ban them are we?

It's a shame that this petition has been worded so badly - in terms of getting it debated if the threshold is reached it becomes pointless as it would be thrown out immediately on the basis that the laws are already on the statute books.

I wish people would think a bit more before starting these petitions, or at least getting someone who knows what they are about to look them over before submitting. It makes us as fieldsports people look like a right bunch of clowns when a lame duck like this gets a few thousand signatures on something patently daft.

• 2 weeks later...

For decades now those involved in legal fieldsports (hunting, shooting, fishing, trapping, etc.) have been subjected to a barrage of abuse, both verbally and more increasingly, physically by 'hunt saboteurs'. This harassment of those involved in legal fieldsports should be made an offence.

In the US they have Hunter Harassment Laws, these include:

"Impeding or obstructing a person who is engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or trapping. This could include trying to get in the way of a sportsman."

"Impeding or obstructing a person who is engaged in a lawful activity."

It's also an offence to scare away game so it can't be hunted.

We need similar laws in the UK to stop the harassment of those participating in legal fieldsports activities.

It's already illegal to interfere with anyone conducting fieldsports on land they have permission to be on. No further laws are necessary. It is covered by several laws including the law of Private Nuisance, Civil Trespass, Aggravated Trespass (Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994) and Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003.

Edited by Savhmr

It's all very well saying laws already exist, but in this instance it is over complicated and does not work.

For this very reason the Countryside Alliance backs a change and review of the current legislation.

The situation needs addressing and everyone interested in field sports should sign and also lobby both their Police & Crime Commissioner and MP.

The laws are pretty clear at the moment and have been used, here is BASC's advice: https://basc.org.uk/cop/disruption-of-shoots-by-demonstrators/

I would be interested to hear what gaps are felt to exist in the current laws, but I do tend to agree with the concept that current laws do need to be enforced, and I do know that there are some concerns around the right to remove balaclava's and other head coverings for example

David