And today

la bala

Get axles off ebay RR right to old P4 rovers have same diffs rolling chassis axles dont fetch anything now compared to years ago. swap for 3.55 to 1 cout the RR higher geared than the 4.7 to 1 cyou got now. with a Fairley OD you will be cruising. ..... Well ..... ISH!. :lol:

depends what you are doing........for the crown and pinion..one you measure the throw before engagement and the other you can make a weight ..about 2 and a half pound at 8" radius on the pinion prop coupling, when you are tightening it up...thats like a wheel bearing when you are settling it in....

carrier bearings i think you just slap em in......RodP will put you right

im still not convinced that your diff is stuffed...ive had diff's go before now and they make a hell of a crunching noise ..they start to whine alot before they go...i think it might be the carrier bearings

Edited by ditchman

depends what you are doing........for the crown and pinion..one you measure the throw before engagement and the other you can make a weight ..about 2 and a half pound at 8" radius on the pinion prop coupling, when you are tightening it up...thats like a wheel bearing when you are settling it in....

carrier bearings i think you just slap em in......RodP will put you right

im still not convinced that your diff is stuffed...ive had diff's go before now and they make a hell of a crunching noise ..they start to whine alot before they go...i think it might be the carrier bearings

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/how-to-replace-diff-input-bearing.64301/ Just had a read ditchman,carrier bearings dont look to bad a job. Not looking forward to taking the diff out, my old arms are getting a bit weak, may have to call in the heavy gang. I was once helping a fitter take the diff out of a dumptruck, he said how are we doing this, its going to be very heavy. I said crack the welder up and weld a lifting eye under the buck, he levered it out, i sat in the cab and lifted it with the buck. :lol::yes:

The last time i lay underneath lifting it out it felt bl###y heavy :lol:

Sleepers under the axle slide it out onto them have progressively shorter ones untill its practical to handle it.

Handy things sleepers still split tractors on them no fancy splitting tackle here.

Sleepers under the axle slide it out onto them have progressively shorter ones untill its practical to handle it.

Handy things sleepers still split tractors on them no fancy splitting tackle here.

the other way is to find Lisa Riley..get her to lay down and boot her under the diff...then you go down and pull it out on top of her

jobs a gooden

the other way is to find Lisa Riley..get her to lay down and boot her under the diff...then you go down and pull it out on top of her

jobs a gooden

That would work, unlike my three strong sons :unhappy: ITS WEAR T OLDUNS OUT HERE ILL TELL YA!.

Soon as anything wants doing round here they flee fastest they ever move ill tell you.

Pass them a shovel they will spin it looking for the button to start it. :yes::lol:

havnt you got a small trolley jack...that would be ideal...

just a thought....to get the right gap twixt pinion and crown...use a lenght of soft solder (electrical) wire and mesh it between the pin/crown...then measure it with a micrometer....then screw the carrier in to the pinion until you have the right "mesh"...then lock off.............

anyone used that method ?

Edited by ditchman