old relic

oowee

a quick update.I have soaked the action in oil. finally freed up the cocking lever, tap and trigger after alot of work. it cocks and believe it or not it fires quite well. next job is unscrew the stock from the action. then the real work begins.

hope to put some pics up as it progresses

a quick update.I have soaked the action in oil. finally freed up the cocking lever, tap and trigger after alot of work. it cocks and believe it or not it fires quite well. next job is unscrew the stock from the action. then the real work begins.

hope to put some pics up as it progresses

look forward to see update and photos

so far i have freed all the parts up. managed to remove butt plate which i was quite surprised did not fall apart as it was so rotten.

now i have hit a problem. the stock i can see quite clearly by using a torch. it is a large slot head . i have got a large screwdriver long enough attached a pair of grips to the shaft. but it will not budge. i cant soak in oil as the wood will be ruined but have sprayed with wd40 for the last 2 days. hopefully it will free up

Can you use an impact driver to shock the screw loose?

failing that ...a drift and a few sharp taps then leave for a while ...squirt plus gas.....drift and clout it a few times.......slowly slowly catchee monkey

a bit of extra oil isnt going to make any difference...as you will proberly have to soak the whole thing in acertone to dissolve the oil out......

Edited by ditchman

tried everything of the above so far. cant fit impact driver in because its full length of stock. but i have been bumping the screwdriver with a set of grips on no luck. i work on crashed cars so am used to rusty fixings but this one has me stuck at the minute. i am going to leave it to soak in oil for a few days and try again.

tried everything of the above so far. cant fit impact driver in because its full length of stock. but i have been bumping the screwdriver with a set of grips on no luck. i work on crashed cars so am used to rusty fixings but this one has me stuck at the minute. i am going to leave it to soak in oil for a few days and try again.

thats the way to do it.....take your time..it will come good

............ cant fit impact driver in because its full length of stock. ...........

Have you considered buying or making a very long bit for the driver (the length of the stock) so that you can get to the screw that way.

I've sometimes had to do that with deep machine-screws on bikes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&clk_rvr_id=1080175208970&rmvSB=true&_nkw=long+screwdriver+bits&_blrs=spell_check

Edited by amateur

For future reference, please respect the fact that others pay to sell their guns on the forum.

If you are interested in selling a gun, it should be listed on in tbe sales section.

Sorry if i broke any rules. I had no plans or intention to sell it just did not want it to go to waste. With the best will in the world nothing was going to happen with it here so Bumpy offered to have a go at it. I gave it to him in return for updating the thread and letting me have a shoot with it when it is done.

When I stripped mine I had to drop a nut down the back of the stock then stick weld inside it to weld on to the shaft itself, that way I could then attach a socket to get more torque.

First picture is the length of the bolt, aprox 10",

2nd is the bodge weld which I needed to loosen the bolt, couldn't have done it any other way when I think back.

3rd is the coarse thread, after I managed to remove the bolt this was in a sorry state, no wonder it wouldn't come off, the slot head is totally inadequate, OK when new, not a good few years down the line.

The bolt had quite a hold & it took a bit of effort to crack it off.

You have to remember that it might not have ever been stripped down, in my case 110yrs.

2016-08-24%2016.17.02%20-%20Copy_zpsghy1

2016-08-24%2016.17.09%20-%20Copy_zpsedye

2016-08-24%2016.17.21_zpscw7kywid.jpg

Good idea with welding the bolt head on. Very similar to what I do at work to remove locking wheel nuts when someone has lost the key. There is no update on the rifle as i have been away on holiday for a few days. But hoprfullly have a few hours on it tomorrow. You never know the bolt may of loosened itself lol

If you're in the body shop game do you have an induction heater at work ?

Bet that would get it moving ours is brilliant