I was going to just post these pix.....then something happened

Mightymariner

post-25219-0-03842700-1471595079_thumb.jpg

View towards the Lincolnshire coast.

I was planning on posting this pix with some words about how nice it was to be on the top of a hill, with the Wolds on one side and a view to the coast on the other.....which made up for another disappointing afternoon after pigeons....then, for a couple of hours it all kicked off.

Recently, my outings, both singularly and with JDog, have been average to poor. Fields which looked promising, with flightlines, good weather all seemed to count for nothing as pigeons didn't cooperate or just disappeared.Many miles have been covered and often it seemed like a losing battle.

Anyway, onwards and upwards I thought. I am going away tomorrow for a holiday so yesterday was my last chance to get out. The day before I had spied a drilled field which had a lot of birds on it, more joining and woods either side. Good, I thought, tomorrow this will be me.

I checked the field early and then headed to a Wolds farm owned by a friend who has been harvesting aplenty.....just to see if there was anything more promising. I watched a few stubbles, nothing of note and headed back towards the coast.

Arriving at the drilled fields, birds were down, I picked the best spot I could, put the birds off and set up....a couple drifted back into the easterly wind, looking at the decoys, but not committing....a few more on the wing behind me, still looking but not wanting to decoy....Two hours later, two shots, one a feral and I decided to up sticks....still time for something I thought.

My last chance was a rape stubble Jdog and I shot on Sunday and had been shot since then at least once, so I wasn't hopeful at all. But at least it was close to home and near a huge swathe of woodland.

I threw caution to the wind, set up with my back to a busy road and awaited......for the first hour or so nothing really of note, the odd shot to keep me awake, birds drifting in the azure skies and brisk easterly.....ho hum, I thought, if I get six I can put them in the freezer for decoys....then, with the clock ticking, the pigeons switched on and finally gave me some action I had been craving.

Decoying easily, I had floaters, birds dropping from height, curling left to rights, going away and the odd straight on bird....it was brilliant while it lasted....between 5-7pm I shot exactly 30 pigeons. Not a massive bag by some standards but I was extremely happy.

The poor run was over and at least I can go on holiday with a decent stubble memory from harvest 2016.

Edited by Mightymariner

Good outing.

From that field the other day I could see parts of the Wolds, the flat land out to the sea, ships on the sea and on the Humber and also part of Humberside north of the river. That just about made up for my poor day.

As you say, slightly less demoralized than the previous week.