How to stay dry and shoot a few.

JDog

The weather forecast for the Cotswolds this afternoon was the same as for many other parts of the country - strong winds and heavy showers. That was not enough to prevent me from looking at my favourite flight line in the Cotswolds with four fields of harvested barley with the bales still in the field.

Good number of birds were using the line going both ways so I rolled six bales together to give me a spacious hide with some wind protection. Then the showers rolled in and I got soaked time and again.

Not wanting to waste the line I decided to stand in the lee of the only spinney anywhere near and shoot the return line. The wood kept the rain off me just fine. The concentration needed to stare into the sky for two hours was immense but I was rewarded with an excellent bag of 37 pigeons at a cartridges to kill ratio of 4:1 which was good for this type of sport.

If anything , today was nigh on perfect weather for pigeon shooting , the only slight problem if there was one was the wind might had been to strong , as for the rain , we never saw any , in fact when I came off the marsh one of the combines had just started cutting a wheat field .

Under the conditions you had to contend with it was a very good bag considering you were shooting them on a flight line and not decoying , well worth getting wet for .

Well done JDog you can't shoot them sitting at home, Intel recall served you well and remembering flight lines is crucial. What's a bit of water anyway. Great result.

I could have done with a bit of water yesterday walking in the Greek mountains , 25K and heights of 800 mts in 35C. Saw lots of deer and boar but no other people except Shepherds.