midlands game fair

kingsy18

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fair, jacuzzis, saunas, Fashion clothing for women, Mobile phone shops, general tat shop's and over priced flatulence burger vans.

Plus the odd country sports attractions.

Not been for 3 year's now. It's a shadow of what it used to like.

pretty much hits the nail on the head. been going for years but it has gone down hill quick. last year was bad so i doubt i will bother. a real shame as it used to be great

Guest topshot_2k

Game Fairs are dying a death mostly due to high trade stand prices and expensive items also the internet .

Feltwad

I don't buy this at all, the internet doesn't allow me to buy guns, nor handle items and try things on. The smaller regional game fairs are fantastic and the shooting show is getting bigger each year. The two big shows, former CLA and Midland do need to get back to their roots but there are plenty of great shows to go too.

I don't buy this at all, the internet doesn't allow me to buy guns, nor handle items and try things on. The smaller regional game fairs are fantastic and the shooting show is getting bigger each year. The two big shows, former CLA and Midland do need to get back to their roots but there are plenty of great shows to go too.

Yes everyone knows you cannot buy guns over the internet but most gunshops etc have their own webpage , there are a lot of people who visit game fairs and shooting stands just go too look at what they are interested in but do not buy, mostly due to the high price on the article but visit the gunshop concerned at a latter date and get a better deal

Feltwad

I,m only going as I,m shooting the Euro,s so camping for me is free and the entrance is also cheaper, happy days,

last time I went which was three years ago they had a problem with vehicles being broken into and *****,s being a pain in the backside but didn,t affect me so no problem there

Fun fair, jacuzzis, saunas, Fashion clothing for women, Mobile phone shops, general tat shop's and over priced flatulence burger vans.

Plus the odd country sports attractions.

Not been for 3 year's now. It's a shadow of what it used to like.

You really like it then mate?

For over 20 years I booked that particular weekend off religiously. That was the weekend i looked forward to more than Christmas and birthday together.

Missed the 1st 3 year's that it started, and missed only 5 since due to something that could not be altered.

Great shame it used to be the best.

I have gone off the whole game fair thing, I used to go to them all.

Last year someone suggested going to Dortmund, more for novelty and to meet up with friends from Europe.

I can't imagine ever going to a show here again now. They don't reload or use moderators so forget any of that, but as proper hunting shows go I would say it is spot on.

Never been and its on the doorstep, but the spate of thefts puts me off going, and that can get better deals at my local gun shops. For the thieves it was a piece a cake, watch which cars people were putting their goodies in, wait until they went away for more shopping and bingo they had plenty of freebies.

Edited by BerettaSV10

I went to the French Gamefair at Chambord Castle two years ago as someone on here said how good it was.

3 day ticket cost 22, not per day, total!

Completely different to anything in the UK, not a candy floss stall in sight.

Have A Go stand at running boar moving target with a rifle, bloody awesome.

Local campsite within 3 miles of the site, special entrance access for campers. Cost of camping...25 a night for 3 of us. Proper campsite with a pool, not a field.

Recommend it to anyone for something different & only over the Channel & a 3hr drive, just south of Paris.

Must agree with Dougy and others its not what it used to be, lots of market traders, burger vans, etc take up a large part of the show ground, last time I went some 10 years ago there were still a few shooting/fishing related stands where you could pick up a bargain, we used to meet-up with our shooting mates and run the dogs in the various gundog competitions, my mate Steve won the gundog scurry nearly every year with his dog Kim, it used to-be a good day out for like minded people but sadly its not the same show.

If I remember correctly didn't the Midlands Game Fair (it might have been called something else back then) start at Packington Hall Estate back in the early 70s

I went to the French Gamefair at Chambord Castle two years ago as someone on here said how good it was.

3 day ticket cost 22, not per day, total!

Completely different to anything in the UK, not a candy floss stall in sight.

Have A Go stand at running boar moving target with a rifle, bloody awesome.

Local campsite within 3 miles of the site, special entrance access for campers. Cost of camping...25 a night for 3 of us. Proper campsite with a pool, not a field.

Recommend it to anyone for something different & only over the Channel & a 3hr drive, just south of Paris.

That sounds more like it, another one to look into to :good:

Must agree with Dougy and others its not what it used to be, lots of market traders, burger vans, etc take up a large part of the show ground, last time I went some 10 years ago there were still a few shooting/fishing related stands where you could pick up a bargain, we used to meet-up with our shooting mates and run the dogs in the various gundog competitions, my mate Steve won the gundog scurry nearly every year with his dog Kim, it used to-be a good day out for like minded people but sadly its not the same show.

If I remember correctly didn't the Midlands Game Fair (it might have been called something else back then) start at Packington Hall Estate back in the early 70s

Pretty much the same for me, we went every year from its first show, and never missed, it used to be the best Gamefair on the circuit, all guns , shooting stuff and country sports gear, clothing etc with plenty of bargains, the fishing village was huge also with lots of reductions and bargains.......still got the Bruce and Walker Hexagraph Salmon fly rod at a bargain price I purchased there! Caught my first Salmon (well three that day actually!) on the fly with it! ......we used to spend a fair amount of cash there!

Then the price of entry went up, the bargains gradually disappeared and the fishing village shrank to a few stalls, general merchandise, food outlets, antique and craft tents, and the funfair took over the show......we stopped going some eight years ago!

Old'un, I think it was the original "gamekeepers fair" at Packington Hall Estate?.........we used to go to that too!.........until it finished, only to appear some years later at a different venue!

The biggest problem is that the organisers that waffle on about how good they want to make it improve it and all the other bumf, never actually listen to the very people that the fair is about.

Hope you are keeping ok Dougy, think what's happened is the organisers wanted to get more people through the gate so they opened the fair up to all sorts so it appealed to more people (none fishing/shooting people) generating more money for them but in doing so they have diluted the format of the show so much that its appeal is not the same for a large number of fishing/shooting people, plus the cost of getting in.

Pretty much the same for me, we went every year from its first show, and never missed, it used to be the best Gamefair on the circuit, all guns , shooting stuff and country sports gear, clothing etc with plenty of bargains, the fishing village was huge also with lots of reductions and bargains.......still got the Bruce and Walker Hexagraph Salmon fly rod at a bargain price I purchased there! Caught my first Salmon (well three that day actually!) on the fly with it! ......we used to spend a fair amount of cash there!

Then the price of entry went up, the bargains gradually disappeared and the fishing village shrank to a few stalls, general merchandise, food outlets, antique and craft tents, and the funfair took over the show......we stopped going some eight years ago!

Old'un, I think it was the original "gamekeepers fair" at Packington Hall Estate?.........we used to go to that too!.........until it finished, only to appear some years later at a different venue!

Yep I remember the early shows at Packington Hall and Weston Park it was all about country pursuits, you would see lots of famous faces there (well famous in the shooting world) Colin Willock, Arthur Oglesby, Gough Thomas, Archie Coates, Peter Moxon, Geoffrey Boothroyd and on the odd occasion a TV face, Jack Hargreaves.

Became quite friendly with Peter Moxon and Archie Coates over the years and Moxon was a big name in the gundog world, his kennels Beoley Kennels was only about 15-20 minutes drive away from me.

Shame its gone the way it as but i guess its all down to profit and getting more people through the gate.

Hope you are keeping ok Dougy, think what's happened is the organisers wanted to get more people through the gate so they opened the fair up to all sorts so it appealed to more people (none fishing/shooting people) generating more money for them but in doing so they have diluted the format of the show so much that its appeal is not the same for a large number of fishing/shooting people, plus the cost of getting in.

Yep I remember the early shows at Packington Hall and Weston Park it was all about country pursuits, you would see lots of famous faces there (well famous in the shooting world) Colin Willock, Arthur Oglesby, Gough Thomas, Archie Coates, Peter Moxon, Geoffrey Boothroyd and on the odd occasion a TV face, Jack Hargreaves.

Became quite friendly with Peter Moxon and Archie Coates over the years and Moxon was a big name in the gundog world, his kennels Beoley Kennels was only about 15-20 minutes drive away from me.

Shame its gone the way it as but i guess its all down to profit and getting more people through the gate.

I used to board my cocker at Peter Moxons kennels.......he had a wife younger than himself.....but still had an eye for the ladies! Lol...do you remember the lad who worked for him...Dennis?