Oldest pigeon shooting club in England

Tollerman

My own club The Gunners Pigeon Shooting Club ( based in Essex) was founded in 1954. One of the original members, now in his eighties and our president ,still shoots.In those early days you turned up at the local NFU office and were given a map and a chit.The chit was taken to the police station and exchanged for a slab of cartridgesand off you went.Not much chance of those days coming back but then we don't have the post war food shortages either.Anyone know of an older club?

My own club The Gunners Pigeon Shooting Club ( based in Essex) was founded in 1954. One of the original members, now in his eighties and our president ,still shoots.In those early days you turned up at the local NFU office and were given a map and a chit.The chit was taken to the police station and exchanged for a slab of cartridgesand off you went.Not much chance of those days coming back but then we don't have the post war food shortages either.Anyone know of an older club?

I can remember also, when people turned up at the local NFU Office and exchanged pigeon feet for cartridges.

Well Nemosear if you regularly view this forum you will know that the usual response to how do I get into pigeon shooting is "knock on a few doors".However in this crowded county of ours it's almost impossible as every inch of land is shot by someone.There are a few clubs about but sadly getting fewer as the years go by and farms change hands and the shooting rights sold off.You could try beating on a shoot and get to know the keeper as that often leads to a bit of pigeon shooting.If you live in the country try asking in the local village pub.We are lucky to have numerous wildfowling clubs in Essex and most ( Canvey, Colchester and Blackwater to name a few) offer good pigeon shooting.Its out there you just need to make the effort. Good luck.