Rat problem

djgeoff

hi all i am sure some one on here will have the answer so her goes.

first of all my cousin lives miles away from me. so me and my air rifle is not an option.

my cousin messaged me with the following :

Geoff rats have gotten into our loft. We've had them before - we live by a stream and neighbours have problems with them. they've burrowed holes under the concrete patio and I think their finding some way through the foundations up into the house. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Usually, i put poison around which eventually kills em off but we can't stand the smell that fills the house! I've read about the new ultra sonic sound repellents and wondered if you know if they work?

so there you have it do they work?

any other methods of getting rid of these rats?

i suppose they are coming up the cavity wall ( guessing mind you).

if he contacted enviro health would they charge for the service?

perhaps one of you chaps that live his way could do the job.

Edited by djgeoff

Had the same problem at my mothers. Rats under the floor going up the cavities into the loft. Take away any foodstuff that they may be interested in ensure there is no water for them to drink up there. Traps and poiso is what I used, but you also need to find the entry point and block it, hers was a cracked soil pipe under the floor.

Good luck and get them sorted fast before they destroy the roofing felt under the slates

Ps the electronic things are a waste of time and money

Edited by elgreco

Had the same problem at my mothers. Rats under the floor going up the cavities into the loft. Take away any foodstuff that they may be interested in ensure there is no water for them to drink up there. Traps and poiso is what I used, but you also need to find the entry point and block it, hers was a cracked soil pipe under the floor.

Good luck and get them sorted fast before they destroy the roofing felt under the slates

Ps the electronic things are a waste of time and money

thanks im passing on info to my relative

• 3 weeks later...

Try not to use rodenticide, first job if you can locate the entry point to the house, holes dry drains,, gutter down pipes , have a look in the morning for dew tracks, any holes that are in use will be shiny or have smear marks.

If they have wooden floors whip some up and check for gnawed pipes and droppings etc

If the activity is migrating from the outside through holes block em up and catch the ones inside using MK 4 fenn traps or the black plastic rat traps inside, baited up, they take a while but it works, if the rats are coming up through the sewer pipes install either a 100, 125 or 150 mil one way pipe trap outside the house in the sewer that will stop em getting in that way 100% and again knock em off inside

Make sure they are not feeding in the kitchen and check the services under the sink aren't letting them into the wall void, if they are in the roof via the airing cupboard they may come down each night

You can also use glue boards to trap em if they are in the loft or under floorboards but as the same as mechanical traps you should check them all at least twice a day

If they are in the wall divide their hq will be in the loft/roof insulation, you should be able to smell them in the loft with ease

Try and resist using poison as it could cause a major stink

Good luck

Patrol

Edited by Patrol