There Here

greenergp

While i was driving to work today i saw my first Skein of Geese flying over, and when i stopped for fuel i had a Skein fly over the petrol station within shot hight, and when driving home at night i saw some more...........looking forward to the numbers building up for next week

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might have been early dawn , late dusk or under the moon ...... take your pick :yes:

Learn the calls of the different geese!...........the call is often the first thing you hear, which will usually give em away! In this case If no calls audible..........my guess would be Greys!

Learn the calls of the different geese!...........the call is often the first thing you hear, which will usually give em away! In this case If no calls audible..........my guess would be Greys!

I have been lucky enough to enjoy the sound of geese all around me for well over 50 years and yes you are right the call is normally the first thing you hear , but that is not always the case as I have seen 100s of geese that have never made a sound .

Also the Buckenham marshes near where I live is one of the strongholds of the Bean Goose in this country and certainly worth a day out to watch and hear them at close quarters , and I wonder how many wildfowlers old and new could tell what they are by sound alone on a winters night in poor light , could you ?

Its just 6 bdays to go everyone is itching to be off, so im up for playing devils advocate here, regarding pinks here this early.

Cant say i ever saw any this early in 50 years but i am also pretty sure that every pink wont be healthy enough to return to the breeding grounds in the svalbard arcapeligo etc, some may be ill or injured woonded etc, now dispite the bird surveys some must have at some point met up and had a clutch or two over the years on these shores.

Not saying we got a resident population or anything like that, but there must be few pinks some where on these shores or when thdey get fit do they make the trip back home to the breeding groungs alone. ?

WELL> ?

If you Cant ID them at shot height' then maybe its time to brush up on your quarry ID Fella. :hmm:

Give us a break!! i had about a 3 to 4 second view of them before they disappeared over the roof canopy of the petrol station.

BTW i saw another fight this morning they were Canadas :whistling:

Its just 6 bdays to go everyone is itching to be off, so im up for playing devils advocate here, regarding pinks here this early.

Cant say i ever saw any this early in 50 years but i am also pretty sure that every pink wont be healthy enough to return to the breeding grounds in the svalbard arcapeligo etc, some may be ill or injured woonded etc, now dispite the bird surveys some must have at some point met up and had a clutch or two over the years on these shores.

Not saying we got a resident population or anything like that, but there must be few pinks some where on these shores or when thdey get fit do they make the trip back home to the breeding groungs alone. ?

WELL> ?

Had one pinkfoot on our flight pond for over two years, usually shows up early spring , stays with the Greylag geese till September, never see it again till spring.

We do shoot pinks on the odd occasion round flight ponds at newark on trent in the season, had 3 last year.