There Here

greenergp

I see one mid summer on a gravel pit in the Lea valley, 20 miles north of the center of London about 5 years ago.

Had one pinkfoot on our flight pond for over two years, usually shows up early spring , stays with the Greylag geese till September, never see it again till spring.

We do shoot pinks on the odd occasion round flight ponds at newark on trent in the season, had 3 last year.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been lucky enough to enjoy the sound of geese all around me for well over 50 years and yes you are right the call is normally the first thing you hear , but that is not always the case as I have seen 100s of geese that have never made a sound .

Also the Buckenham marshes near where I live is one of the strongholds of the Bean Goose in this country and certainly worth a day out to watch and hear them at close quarters , and I wonder how many wildfowlers old and new could tell what they are by sound alone on a winters night in poor light , could you ?

Sorry MM the basic advice given was not aimed at you! It was to support your posting and addressed broadly to the OP..........and no I doubt I could!........but may be alerted if it sounded different to a pink?

The Whitefont is another goose's call not every Wildfowler would have the opportunity to get familiar with!

So based on a couple here of those that have replied so far there are at least two about on these shores at least some of the time, so its possible a few met up greener gp is from central Scotland lots of geese shot up there in the season its feasable they dont all get picked if they are indeed pricked and a few get away wounded injured so could be a few met up and started fliting about with a mob of feral greys thus greener hearing pinks seeing a split second geese over the gas station canopy, its all possible.

In mythbusters Style Not busted but not unconfermed either plausible.

Migratory pink in my opinion doubtfull but pinks above greeners gas station its possible. There will be some pinks buzzing about these shores at this very moment in time, and by the sounds of it in central scotland. :lol: :lol:

Now relax it will soon be the season and then there will be some pinks. :yes:

Sorry MM the basic advice given was not aimed at you It was to support your posting and addressed broadly to the OP..........and no I doubt I could.......but may be alerted if it sounded different to a pink?

The Whitefont is another goose's call not every Wildfowler would have the opportunity to get familiar with!

No problem at all, and good luck to you for the new season ,

At one time Whitefronts were our main goose quarry and the Pinkfoot was a rarity , now its the other way round although Whitefronts do show up in small numbers most years with the odd one ending up in some lucky fowlers bag .

The last one I got was around 3 or 4 seasons ago on a really rough old night when geese were all over the place , I had already shot a Pink when another small skein swung round the marsh on the other side of the dyke , the last one in the skein was just about in range when it was level with me and a well placed shot well in front put paid to that one , the rest banked into the wind making the second shot slightly easier than the first resulting in number two dropping out .

My old dog was in his prime then and it was rare he would lose a goose if it came down on the marsh and on that night to him were two run of the mill retrieves , the first one back was a large Pink and it wasn't till he brought the second one back that I noticed the White blob on the base of its beak and a couple of Black bars on its chest , making him or her a few years old. one thing I will never find out , was it a single Pink amongst a small party of Whitefronts or the other way round , something we can only surmise .

Pinks are not out of the question in early September. The early i have shot them is Sep 5th. There is a photo of it on the wildfowling Forum with a copy of the Sun ( Sep 5th ) to prove the date.it was shot In recent years they have started to arrive a bit later , but going back a decade we had 5,000 on my coastal club marsh by the end of September and that year I was well into double figuars in the bag by the end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...

Two small skeins seen this afternoon Not far from ormskirk flying east 100% guaranteed Pink feet, lads totaly reliable been fowling 20 years or more.

About 50 or 60 birds in the two lots.

The two party's of 5 and 9 was increased from mid morning to early afternoon by another 261 fingers crossed the two Skeins you mention will add another 100-120

Three years ago by the 15th September i had just over 3000 on one Estate and 1100 on another Estate 5-6 miles away. But as you know Moon with weather conditions is a Big factor to when the first influx occurs.

Then the lifting of Sugar Beet to get the Big Number's moving.

they are about in a good few places all round the country by the 17th most years they are perhaps a day or two early but really pretty typical, moons friday is it> something like that. I think we should see a good few more around or after that, its on mate thats what matters its been a **** summer lets hope for a decent winter thats all i want loosing my eldest lad to uni, is more on my mind at the moment, i knew it was coming, but man it makes it no eassier when it happens.

He still looked pretty young to me when he was getting in that car and driving off up there tonight. :no: big wrench let me tell you.

Getting old mate thats me trouble. :lol: :lol:

Wheres them Pinks. :yes::good:

Looking forward to them, don't really go out to shoot them but with the weather as it is, I think the sound of them will kick start the season and make it feel right.

Yes it doesn't feel like wildfowling season with this weather Hoping might get a few passing over the new house !

Just received a Phone call 800 - 1000 Pink's using stubble now fingers crossed they don't do their normal trick and move after a couple of Days

This time last year Boyd the first fields of beet had been lifted , diced over and this years wheat had been put in , up till today there is no sign of the machines moving in on the marsh yet , but that might change when the weather change in the next few days , then the food banks will be open for when our friends move down from the Heacham area for a bit of peace and quite and a slap up meal :lol:

This time last year Boyd the first fields of beet had been lifted , diced over and this years wheat had been put in , up till today there is no sign of the machines moving in on the marsh yet , but that might change when the weather change in the next few days , then the food banks will be open for when our friends move down from the Heacham area for a bit of peace and quite and a slap up meal :lol:

Definitely lifting sugar beat round me in North Nottinghamshire, seen three self propelled harvesters well into fields.

Crazy how farming has changed to see them temperatures, and they are full on lifting beat.

John i was reliability informed the Beet Factory is not opening this year till 9th October and closing early. This is Wissington Beet Factory

Just looked on the website. Newark and Bury campaigns start on the 4th of October, Wissington the 6th of October and Cantley on the 11th of October.

Just received a Phone call 800 - 1000 Pink's using stubble now fingers crossed they don't do their normal trick and move after a couple of Days

Everything pinkfoot i can tell is heading east :lol: You could need a trailer.

Rain tomorrow and ive had a paint job in a rush to do brought today with a front wing fitted by stevie wonder i will not be out till monday at the earliest now. :unhappy:

I know exactly what i am doing this weekend. :no::rolleyes:

Edited by TONY R

Everything pinkfoot i can tell is heading east :lol: You could need a trailer.

Rain tomorrow and ive had a paint job in a rush to do brought today i will not be out till monday at the earliest now. :unhappy:

I know exactly what i am doing this weekend. :no::rolleyes:

Fingers crossed when you do get out.

You would have only needed a Cricket Bat this Morning as it was Thick Fog.

Fog forecast again for the morning. Must admit my Trigger finger is getting Well Itchy.

But I'll be a good boy and let have a couple of days piece !!!!! Maybe 😂😂

Definitely lifting sugar beat round me in North Nottinghamshire, seen three self propelled harvesters well into fields.

Crazy how farming has changed to see them temperatures, and they are full on lifting beat.

Just looked on the website. Newark and Bury campaigns start on the 4th of October, Wissington the 6th of October and Cantley on the 11th of October.

John i was reliability informed the Beet Factory is not opening this year till 9th October and closing early. This is Wissington Beet Factory

Bit on the late side opening this year , other years Cantley start slicing around third week in September and just before then most of the beet on the marshes are lifted and put in clamps before the rain set in , which makes it a lot harder to lift and cart in the wet conditions , still a couple of weeks longer wont make to much difference , all that means my first one this year will be a little bit older. :lol: