British open

kingo15

I'm definitely not a fan of the format, 120 bird qualifier, 75 bird final and 25? bird 6 person Super Final. I think I can see why they have it that way to try and compensate for varying weather conditions but it is still flawed. With the top 5 in class and the top 3 in category qualifying on each of the four days of the competition there is a gamble, irrespective of weather conditions, on which day you shoot it. You could pick a day with very few other good shots in your class or catagory or be unlucky and turn up when they are all there. I suspect without any hard evidence that the Thursday or Friday are the best bets to qualify.

I drove down on Thursday morning and shot the Sportrap in the afternoon, very badly I might add, I thought it was a good shoot and loved the 4th layout were all bar the trap bird needed a significant gap! I started quite well but had a nightmare on the 2nd and 3rd layout before a half decent score on the 4th. A very disappointing score and the only excuse I could come up with was the 250 mile drive which took 5.5 hours due to traffic problems on the M6 and A14.

Friday start for the main event at just after midday after a good night sleep in probably the nicest B&B I've ever stayed at. Managed to shoot way above my current average and was over the moon to finish with a 111 (92.5%) didn't think the course was overly tough but was enjoyable and the only moaning appeared to come via. the Internet from people who weren't there!!! That was good enough to qualify in both my class and catagory but class takes precedent so I was in the A class squad for the Sunday final. This, for various reasons, meant a 250 mile drive home on Friday evening then a return on Saturday afternoon (surprise suprise another 250 miles) another night in a hotel with a start time of just after 12 for the 75 bird final.

Well I couldn't reproduce Friday's form a shot a less than impressive 59. I thought it was a good shoot, no silly targets at huge distances on silly snap shooting with birds whizzing though little windows. I just dribbled targets way on all bar 3 stands. To say I was disappointed was an understatement but I was disappointed with my performance not the targets, I felt I was 6 or 7 birds light of where I should have been, trying too hard, nerves I don't know but it was a long and expensive trip to shoot that badly.

If the competition had been decided over the first 120 birds I would have finished 1st in class and, I think, 3rd in the Vets as it was I finished nowhere but hey ho I should be used to that by now...

My objection to this format of a 75 bird final is not based on my dismal performance in said final but on the cost for 160 shooters to return to the ground to start from scratch and believe me some travelled a lot further than I did. The English Open only has the top 6 Super final which I do agree with but with the scores carried over from the main event. This provides a spectacle that should be televised and provides sponsors with much needed publicity.

Well the word on the grapevine is that the British will be at Hodnet next year so that's one for the diary and I just hope I can repeat my form at the two majors this year.

Mr Potter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of the finals senario,its all preloaded on to entries to cover the sunday event and as i would only ever win the raffle it of no matter to me, but how would we without the final sort any shoot off issues on a multiday event?

Already decided to reduce the number of big shoots we visit next year.

Just read Mr Potter's account, the same thing happened to a friend of mine he also shot 111 in A and would have been = with Mr Potter.

Apart from the cost involved and travelling etc it's like saying OK you won A class at Grange Farm but you won't get anything until you also win Orston in 2 or 3 days time.

How often does that happen ?

Some of these guys have shot "out of their skins" and get nothing for it.

There has got to be a better way of doing it!