Returns On Reared Ducks/ pheasant / Partridge

I shot on a well keepered shoot four years ago. Before the start of the day we were asked to shoot Grey partridges if we saw any. I saw a good few during the day, sneaking out of the drives or going back over the beaters heads. On the last drive I shot one and at the end of the drive the shoot owner came to congratulate me for shooting the first one that season out of 200 put down. It was mid January.

On 550 pheasants I would estimate you will work hard to get 150 ...all down to your available cover, feeding regime and OF COURSE how well your guns can shoot. Don't expect to shoot any of the greys and if you do that is a bonus. They are the one game bird which can make absolute fools of you, but lovely to see on the ground. I have the pleasure to shoot on a small bit of ground which has a regular wild population and we might just manage two a season. Great to hear of someone actually putting some down, well done.

Yes it so nice to see them. I have done for 3 years normally only 25 not to shoot just try and get the numbers up. We have had 2 wild broods this year, all down to good vermin control and grass verges left around 500 acers of wheat crop. But im hoping the guns do get a handful this year but not holding my breath..

Must admit i'm the oppisate i generally think greys hold far better than reds, but it will depend on the ground, but up till 20 odd years ago it was all grey released in this area and most would shoot around the 30% mark.

But will depend how u drive/shoot them too, the grey poults always used to be there wether or not we shot any

But the past 2 years we went to ex layer greys and they have been a disaster, and the game farmer we buy them of was saying the exact same for last 2 years with his ex layer greys, so despite them being half the price not worth it.

Any diy shoot getting around 30% returns on pheasants is about the national average but will vary massively depending on ground and nieghbours, most FT keepered shoots will be hoping/planning for 40+% returns