fieldsports tv headshooting deer

Redgum

Believe me, it is quite possible to shoot the lower jaw off a rabbit even win a .22rf , or even its nose.

totally agree with that,all it takes is for the rabbit to move its head at the last second or for you to pull the shot,both of which are easily done,leaving you with a wounded animal,which if it gets back into the warren leaves the animal suffering and in agony,but as scully has said this isnt frowned upon

in the end its down to the situation and the man pulling the trigger

Personally, I can never see a good reason for a headshot unless for humane dispatch of a downed animal. If a good boiler room or neck shot does not present itself, then my view is don't take the shot...there's no-one twisting anyone's arm to do so. Just because you can cloverleaf on a target on a range at 100 yds doesn't mean that you can, with certainty, place a bullet between eye and ear on a deer (from the side) or between the eyes (highseat), especially when as has already been said, the head is the most mobile part of the deer and is always moving. A well placed shot becomes a blown off jaw with a deer moving it's head between squeezing the trigger and impact very easily. A boiler room shot has far more room for error. That's just my preference and I wouldn't lecture others on how they approach taking deer or want an argument over it. I am well capable of tight groups at deer shooting distances, but I just don't think it's an acceptable gamble. Others will take that gamble.

One thing already said regarding DsC, I completely agree with. The standard test is rubbish and seems more designed to get the pass numbers up. Putting 3 shots into a 4" disc (effectively able to achieve a 4" group) is no test of marksmanship. I have had the arguments from an assessor that as long as you can hit the boiler room, there's no need for target accuracy. Fair enough, but 4"...really? Shooting a deer is a lot different from shooting a static deer target. The adrenaline is up, the range may be uncertain so you need a margin of error, for that and for wind etc. If you only achieve marginal success on the DSC test, then I wouldn't rate anyone's chances of precision placement in the field under varying conditions unless the one variable that they can control (shooting technique and precision) is controlled and practised. That, surely, has to change and DSC has to be tightened up to at least all shots within a 2 inch circle at 100 yds. 2moa is not a lot to ask for with a modern stalking rifle, off sticks or a bipod after all.

Apart from the issue of a mistaken hit causing undue pain etc etc. In my view a good shot through the arteries and lungs of a deer makes for far better eating venison. The meat bleeds out almost 100%. I could never see the point in sticking a knife in the animals throat when the pump had closed down. You might get nice clean meat for the butcher but I would prefer not to buy meat from him. Many years ago in Scotland I was instructed by the stalker to shoot a hind at the base of the neck as she would not present a sideways shot and the whole bunch was about to leave the county. I did as I was told and she went down like a sack of spuds. He patted me on the back, stood up and marched towards the animal, where I would have preferred to lie there and watch for a while. He got about halfway and was directly between me and the hind when she jumped up and vanished over the brow. The last we saw of her was cresting a hill three quarters of a mile away ..with a large 308 diameter hole in her shoulder and neck area. I was told right from the first animal I shot, to sit back, keep the rifle up and give the animal time to die in dignity. Shot a Silver Medal boar in Slovenia this last May and as we approached it was still very much alive. The TTSX from my 375JDJ had gone a little high and fortunately severed the spine or it would without have come across and attempted to give us a good sucking. Approaching from the blind side a second shot between the shoulder blades tidied up a poor job. Doesn't matter how many animals you might have shot **** happens occasionally. My view, if it hasn't happened to you yet then you haven't shot enough. My Slovenian guide told me that as my rifle spoke the boar stepped forward and down slightly which resulted in the high shot. That animal weighed in at 196kg with the guts out and was best to date.

I used to headshoot rabbits (premium paid by butcher) with the .22 rimfire. I shot successfully, but I remember blowing the snout off of one. It wasn't a far shot, and it wasn't pretty, jumping around spitting blood everywhere. Luckily I was able to finish it off and it wasn't able to go to ground.

I think Andy Crow made the point that he is confident in his ability and he was confident of the end result. The deer all dropped on the spot to well placed shots.

Are we saying that it is only possible to have bad shot placement when head shooting deer?

Yes deers heads are very mobile but how long does it take the bullet to travel the 100 yards? Not very long.

I know guys who only head shoot or high neck shoot deer and they are stunning shots and there is only 1 end result, which is a dead deer.

Must admit i think head/brain shooting is in most cases just the latest fashion or some bragging point for some.

Not saying not a tool for certain circumstances but seems far more folk using it nowadays and internet and clips like that only make it more fashionable

A rabbit head is generally no where near as mobile as a deer head.

I think Andy Crow made the point that he is confident in his ability and he was confident of the end result. The deer all dropped on the spot to well placed shots.

Correct But i don't think they would show a Messed shot !!!!!

Are we saying that it is only possible to have bad shot placement when head shooting deer?

NO I've seen legs Brisket and Gut Shot Deer BUT 99.9% will be recovered/dispatched unlike a Blown Jaw deer.

Yes deers heads are very mobile but how long does it take the bullet to travel the 100 yards? Not very long.

I know guys who only head shoot or high neck shoot deer and they are stunning shots and there is only 1 end result, which is a dead deer.

Bullpoop

They ain't shot mainy Deer or are liners in most cases BOTH.

May we use Shotgun ( NOT DEER ) or Rifle on live quarry EVERY SHOT carries a risk of Injury/Wounding.

Being a Good/Brilliant confident shooter does not eradicate the risk of Wounding.

For me Trick shooting along with Long Range shooting is best left for Paper/Steel Targets

Myself and a friend were on a stalking trip in April down in Hampshire. She is a VERY good shot - she has to be, as she works for a firearms manufacturer, regularly demonstrating their products to police and military units around the world, at very long range.

A roe buck that she and her guide spotted (I was a couple of miles away with another guide), that was on the cull list. Not an ideal shot, as she later admitted, the buck was lying but grazing in a clearing in the wood Just the head really visible, the body largely concealed in the undergrowth.

She wasn't hugely keen on the shot, but the guide persuaded her to take the headshot. Just as she does, the buck moved, and the bullet struck poorly. Leaving an animal thrashing about, but now entirely invisible in the undergrowth.

Reload, wait a few minutes, hoping for another shot. Movement has largely stopped now. No follow up shot present.

Move forward, and there is the buck. Still very alive, blinded by the shot. A second shot from 20 yards provides a clean dispatch.

If that can happen to her, and she is a far finer shot than most of us will ever be (I've seen her shooting out to a mile, it's terrifying), then it can happen to any of us. As she said that evening over dinner, no matter what the situation, she will never take another headshot on deer.

Certainly an emotive subject this, Crow had done his homework and I think the whole thing was well planned to make a good programme , with all the zoom in shots of the sako carbon, the scope, the ammo and a voice in the background saying ' Crikey that rifle is quiet' and yes folks just tell santa to go to GMK its promotional stuff but maybe just a little more practical advice may help those less experienced than the scare crow.

Edited by Redgum

That's probably the best post on this, those deer were head shot and left out on a warm night and only gralloched far later on not the best meat wise and that's ignoring the ethics of the shot

I seriously don't consider it about ethics, merely personal preference and given opportunity.

I head shoot hundreds of rabbits as I've already mentioned, and I do this because I only get 50p for them otherwise. Is that ok because they're only rabbits, as opposed to the more majestic deer?

We risk the risk of wounding each time we take a shot, regardless of placement. I know we all care and do our utmost to diminish that risk, but none of us care enough to stop shooting another once we've wounded something .

. I don't think anyone who kills for no other reason than they want to has any right to take the high moral ground and sit in judgement of those who choose to do it differently.

If you prefer headshots then so be it, if not, then so be it.

Each to their own.

I seriously don't consider it about ethics, merely personal preference and given opportunity.

I head shoot hundreds of rabbits as I've already mentioned, and I do this because I only get 50p for them otherwise. Is that ok because they're only rabbits, as opposed to the more majestic deer?

We risk the risk of wounding each time we take a shot, regardless of placement. I know we all care and do our utmost to diminish that risk, but none of us care enough to stop shooting another once we've wounded something .

. I don't think anyone who kills for no other reason than they want to has any right to take the high moral ground and sit in judgement of those who choose to do it differently.

If you prefer headshots then so be it, if not, then so be it.

Each to their own.

Of course its each to their own, some of us will minimalize suffering by choosing the choice of our shot within our ability and situation others won't :no:

So an engine room shot misplaced?? Deer will still suffer and bleed out. Any shot can be misplaced no matter how big the target.

Ur totally right any number of things can happen with any shot, so why pick a shot where ir shooting at a £2 coin size target almost constantly/eratically moving, compared to a diner plate sized target generally fairly steady? And even with the diner plated size target any really bad shots should result in a more immobile deer with a decent blood track.

A lot of UK is now covered by UKSHA or UKDTR who will come out and track ur imjured deer for free with highly trained trracking dogs that can folow individual deers scent up to 48hrs old.

But to totally miss a fatal area with a chest shot is quite a big pull, ut it still happens so why encourage/publise brain shots when u have no room for error and shooting at a tiny target.

As was brought up earlier its amazing how many folk struggle to do the simple dsc1 or FC shooting test, even expereinced stalkers.

I know quite a few younger(and not so young but inexperienced) stalkers who regularly take head shots as 1st choice, there main reason is to say they done it, when u speak to there mates they also miss far more deer too.

I have no problem with experienced boys doing it but i think too many folk think they are better shots and more experienced than they really are

I don't do owt fancy and wether fox or deer put bullet straight in boiler room as much as possible at normal ranges and u don't have to be a fantastic shoot to miss very little.

May be boring but it works

Edited by scotslad

The old chestnut.

Do what you are confident with.

I most commonly heart shoot, rarely neck shoot, but also head shoot if the opportunity presents.

It isn't a black and white situation as far as I'm concerned, if someone choses to only chest shoot then fine, but preaching that is the only way is just too narrow a view in my book.

ATB!

:good: