Brewdog Punk I.P.A

guzzicat

A new Brewdog opened up in April in Norwich. I went and had a look. Grossly overpriced beer in a trendy setting.

https://www.brewdog.com/bars/uk/norwich

The whole Brewdog operation has been a huge success mostly through effective crowdfunding.

Only last week our village pub / foodie place has just put Punk IPA on draft. The glass it comes in tells you it's brewed with all sort of hops, some of which are American.To many things going on for my palate and it's served way to cool.

At a whopping £4.20 a pint i can think of a lot better on offer.

A new Brewdog opened up in April in Norwich. I went and had a look. Grossly overpriced beer in a trendy setting.

https://www.brewdog.com/bars/uk/norwich

The whole Brewdog operation has been a huge success mostly through effective crowdfunding.

Only last week our village pub / foodie place has just put Punk IPA on draft. The glass it comes in tells you it's brewed with all sort of hops, some of which are American.To many things going on for my palate and it's served way to cool.

At a whopping £4.20 a pint i can think of a lot better on offer.

Indeed, £3.00 will get you a nice pint here

I was in Cardiff recently and I went in there with a few friends we had a good laugh, ended up fiinding a larger that I could get on with so stuck to that.

The guy behind the bar let us have a sample of "sink the bismark".......my god.....41% IPA and only gets sold by the shot, completely wrote me off.

They've beaten the record for strongest beer again I think, 55% IPA

Defeats the object of India Pale Ale ,it was to refresh passengers on the long sea trip to India, a light ale was wanted as the water supply became suspect,it now keeps getting stronger, saw some real head buster stuff in the states.

Not true, it was brewed strong to benefit from the time spent aboard ship on its way to India and other places.

Not true, it was brewed strong to benefit from the time spent aboard ship on its way to India and other places.

As I understand it, it was then diluted down so as not to get the troops too smashed. The officers kept some back as it arrived just for them.

I think it's a very well marketed brand as people seem to love it. I'm not a huge fan of the crazy hopped beers but I like some of theirs.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin is a blast.

MuddyFunker and Junglebert are correct - The Greene King rubbish that gets served up is about as IPA as I am an athlete!!

It was served strong and hoppy to make the voyage - The hops act as a preserving agent (as does the additional strength).

BrewDog were the guys that, like it or not, bust the craft beer world open in the UK and while there is a load of fowl, overpriced Hoxtonite, bearded, top knot wearing, idiot juice out there, there is also a lot of bum shuffling going on with the major breweries and their bland brown beers - If you get your kicks out of Doom Bar, Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, Ruddles County, Marston's Pedigree and you have a bit of age to you, think back to when they were first brewed and how they tasted then - Nothing like the rubbish you get served now - The recipes have been changed and a lot of strengths lowered to make them cheaper to brew. So to fill the void, you have "big splash" brewers like BrewDog, but you've also opened the door to people like Siren, Weird Beard, Kernel, Saltaire, Beavertown and a thousand others.

Back on track, what's the general opinion on Adnam's Ghost Ship? I reckon it's a cracking compromise between and old school bitter and the newer keg IPA's.

And as said above, "Sink the Bismarck" is stronger, but if you can manage to get a nip of "Tactical Nuclear Penguin", I absolutely recommend it!

And if you brew your own and like Brew Dog, they very kindly let you download all of their recipes for free on their website!

MuddyFunker and Junglebert are correct - The Greene King rubbish that gets served up is about as IPA as I am an athlete!!

It was served strong and hoppy to make the voyage - The hops act as a preserving agent (as does the additional strength).

BrewDog were the guys that, like it or not, bust the craft beer world open in the UK and while there is a load of fowl, overpriced Hoxtonite, bearded, top knot wearing, idiot juice out there, there is also a lot of bum shuffling going on with the major breweries and their bland brown beers - If you get your kicks out of Doom Bar, Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, Ruddles County, Marston's Pedigree and you have a bit of age to you, think back to when they were first brewed and how they tasted then - Nothing like the rubbish you get served now - The recipes have been changed and a lot of strengths lowered to make them cheaper to brew. So to fill the void, you have "big splash" brewers like BrewDog, but you've also opened the door to people like Siren, Weird Beard, Kernel, Saltaire, Beavertown and a thousand others.

Back on track, what's the general opinion on Adnam's Ghost Ship? I reckon it's a cracking compromise between and old school bitter and the newer keg IPA's.

And as said above, "Sink the Bismarck" is stronger, but if you can manage to get a nip of "Tactical Nuclear Penguin", I absolutely recommend it!

And if you brew your own and like Brew Dog, they very kindly let you download all of their recipes for free on their website!

Amen to that!

Whilst away at the weekend, I was given a bottle of GA RUN from Iceland, what a cracking stout and at 11.5% you could eat it by the slice!

Ghost Ship is good as are many of the other pale hoppy bitters. I think they used to be called summer ales due to their refreshing citrus finish , almost tasting like grapefruit on the tongue, but they seem to brew them all year round now. East Coast IPA by Greene King is another one , closer to the real deal than their standard IPA , brewed with American hops. If you are in Essex I can also recommend 'A drop of Nelsons Blood' brewed with a tot of rum in every pint for Trafalgar day, nobody bats an eyelid when I ask for a pint of blood in the pub now.

• 1 month later...

Brewdog! Where to start??

Probably the most successful start up brewing company in the UK for many years if not ever, fantastic growth, made their pubs trendy and appealing to the hipsters out there, made crazy strong flavored and high alcohol beers. Made their beer appealing to a younger audience. And there it ends.

Their beer is rank rotten in my opinion, I can't say anything nicer than that about it! I was in their Newcastle pub a few weeks ago, tried a sample from each of their taps, didn't enjoy any of them, but would have felt like a knob walking out after tasting them all, decided on one, which was the best of a bad bunch, forced it down. Wife ordered a half pint (smart thinking on her side) but of an even worse beer than mine (not so smart after all), she left hers. We watched a group of stags who were all mortal, draw, with a magic marker all over the head and face of the most drunken lad in their group, who was passed out. Staff just looked on and laughed whilst serving them all more beer. That was our queue to bail out! I won't be back.

The draught Newcastle Brown Ale I had in another pub was miles better than any of the Brew Dog nonsense.

Brewdog! Where to start??

Probably the most successful start up brewing company in the UK for many years if not ever, fantastic growth, made their pubs trendy and appealing to the hipsters out there, made crazy strong flavored and high alcohol beers. Made their beer appealing to a younger audience. And there it ends.

Their beer is rank rotten in my opinion, I can't say anything nicer than that about it! I was in their Newcastle pub a few weeks ago, tried a sample from each of their taps, didn't enjoy any of them, but would have felt like a knob walking out after tasting them all, decided on one, which was the best of a bad bunch, forced it down. Wife ordered a half pint (smart thinking on her side) but of an even worse beer than mine (not so smart after all), she left hers. We watched a group of stags who were all mortal, draw, with a magic marker all over the head and face of the most drunken lad in their group, who was passed out. Staff just looked on and laughed whilst serving them all more beer. That was our queue to bail out! I won't be back.

The draught Newcastle Brown Ale I had in another pub was miles better than any of the Brew Dog nonsense.

Emperor's new clothes.

The herd believing the hype generated by a decent PR spend. Poor beer in worse pubs - see my previous comment about their bar in Manchester.

• 5 weeks later...

I have to agree with the analysis offered here. The beer is gross - I've not enjoyed anything from that stable at all, and now avoid anything with 'craft' in the title. Public Enemy was right. :yes:

However, fair play to them for making a few quid, and for getting a whole new segment of the market interested/excited about properly-made beer.

Give me a pint of Fursty Ferret any day. :drool:

LS