Project next week

la bala

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right just wrote a whole post and all the bl@@dy pics were all over the place, going too try a different tact. I seemed to have spent a lot of time in workshop today and not got much done. I have done a lot of drilling though :lol: . First job cut an end cap for Tue-Iron, I did have a hole cutter for this.

post-52836-0-06595700-1472659574_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-71291900-1472659584_thumb.jpg

Last job of the day. I have made forges in the past but have never put a breast plate on them, well i thought i would push the boat out with this one. Anyway had some heavier plate in back of workshop, marked it out and guess what more drilling :lol: . Thats it today, hope i am not boring you.

post-52836-0-00562800-1472660150_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-20187300-1472660162_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-11174300-1472660173_thumb.jpg

are you lining it the old fashioned way ......clay ?...........take it is a side draft forge.........

The air will come in from the back end through a water cooled Tue -Iron Simon. I have never found the need to line them mate and have never burnt the bottom out. I did once have the water Bosh boil over. It was the day i was forgeing a bowie type knife from a billet cut out of a cutting edge from a Cat loading shovel.

The air will come in from the back end through a water cooled Tue -Iron Simon. I have never found the need to line them mate and have never burnt the bottom out. I did once have the water Bosh boil over. It was the day i was forgeing a bowie type knife from a billet cut out of a cutting edge from a Cat loading shovel.

manganese steel ehy ?..............i used old toyota leaf springs for my hunting knives in the "dark continant"

Today the Tue-Iron. We have three bits, small diameter pipe will be the air feed, the large piece of pipe and end cap becomes the Tue-Iron. The large piece of pipe isnt no where near the wall thickness i wanted, ideally it wanted to be 8-10mm thick. I am using what i could get as i didnt want to stop the thread while i sourced some. Onwards and upwards, weld these three together and you have a Tue-Iron. You can buy a Tue-Iron, it will cost you around £150 :lol: . As the Tue-Iron will have water in it, fill it up to check for leaks, guess what, i had a leak, silly old duffer :lol: never mind easy fix.

post-52836-0-47878700-1472754510_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-55735300-1472754527_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-96949900-1472754548_thumb.jpg

so what are we going to turn out in this machine..??

and what is supplying the air...........

Dont think i will be hammering any hot iron Simon, the elbow and shoulder joints are getting to old. The air supply is a good question, when i have built them before i have had a spare forge blower lying about, now i could buy one for around 250 quid :lol: but i am not going down that route :no: . Whats your thoughts on one of them cheap extactor fans working the wrong way of course. I am trying to keep this cheap in case we have any up and coming forge masters on here fancy making one.

go to the scrap yard and get an OLD range rover heater blower....and run the forge on 12v thro the battery and charger....the old rangrover blowers used to blow like hell...you can either put it on full and control the air thro a gate valve ...or use the heater controls.....gate valve is best ...less to go wrong....and you can fine tune the air so it dosnt burn the metal.........

when i did mine...i wanted a smelter...so i used and old hoover senior vacumn cleaner..stripped it down and ran a pipe to the valve...which was buried in the ground and used it as a bottom/updraft..forge/smelter..........i think the hoover motor will be too powerful for your forge...i think the powerful car heater is the way to go as you can start the fire gently..let it spread and settle then increase the flow...and you can control it using the heater controls and the slider..............

what fuel are you using...forge beans/ charcoal....?...you can ..i think get carbon pickup which you dont want if you are doing fine blade work...........im no forge expert i used them as a tool for preheating work that i was to weld and for bending / shaping......

then after work i would mess about with them....there are some guys on here who really know what they are talking about...they have fogotton more than i will ever know...im sure one will be along to help you............... :good::good:

Right just wrote a whole post and all the bl@@dy pics were all over the place, going too try a different tact. I seemed to have spent a lot of time in workshop today and not got much done. I have done a lot of drilling though :lol: . First job cut an end cap for Tue-Iron, I did have a hole cutter for this.

its great when you write a description of your work, then the ******* picture mess it all up, i think sometimes you have to do them backwards, or do like i do and accept defeat :lol::lol:

looking forward to seeing this, i miss so much on here cos at the moment its all about me, by the time id put my pics and stuff on iv had enough, i need a good catch up :good::good:

Thanks for your suggestions on the blowers guys, I am going to try a 100mm bathroom extractor fan the wrong way round first, you can get them for bit over £20, if it dont work i will bin it . :lol:

what about the mrs hairdrier...?............if Harnser can get away with pinching his mrs hairspray for his dried decoys im sur you could blag that one.. :lol::lol::lol:

Evening all, havnt got too much done today. Went to visit me old stick maker mate this morning and he hit me with some sad news, he has had a couple of strokes which he has got over, but after much thought he has decided to give up fishing and shooting, a sad day indeed. Back in the workshop by 2, I scored and folded the back and sides of the water bosh and got it tacked on. Happy with that, i tried the Tue-Iron and blower pipe in position, happy with that aswell. You will see there is no bottom in the tank at the moment as i didnt allow for it when i measured, its an age thing :lol: . I have taken one pic looking down into the tank, it will give you some idea how a water cooled Tue-Iron works, the air pipe is submerged along with Tue-Iron which is filled to the end cap. It will be off to B&Q tomorrow looking at extractor fans. Have a good weekend boys.

post-52836-0-59034700-1472844428_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-26153700-1472844439_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-16697500-1472844451_thumb.jpg