Chris Packham

Stimo22

This article appeared in my local paper this week, over the last 12 months he has got several articles printed to support his causes, and again he is quoted as a "BBC Presenter".

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/milton-keynes-author-hopes-book-will-be-nail-in-the-coffin-of-cruel-policy-of-badger-culling-1-7542484

It is about time the BBC controlled this employee

The badger shooting cull areas have just been extended in the South West, so this complete tool Packham isn't making any headway. Tabloid rags and the BBC are way too quick to give this idiot a soap box, when rarely has he any grasp of the facts or the effects on farmers and other wild life. Brock's protected status was only ever meant to be temporary (reviewed after two years when first brought in), so high time a petition was started to lift the protection on badgers ;-)

Edited by Savhmr

We are into the final year of the cull here in Gloucestershire and if anything is causing undue suffering to the brock its uneducated anti's fuelled( and financed) by the like of Packham and May. They sit on setts, trespass illegally across the countryside hampering a humane cull. If there is so much evidence against the cull's legality and effectiveness then, as we are meant to be an educated society, then high courts and votes will rule. Most of the antis don't give a damn about badgers its just inner city troops recruited and encouraged to fight against country folk that they see as being all rich landowners.

These anti's are ignorant zealots, whatever evidence exists to the contrary, to them their opinion is right and everyone who's opinion differs from theirs is wrong! Why should their opinion hold sway over anyone else's? How does anyone taking part in fieldsports affect them? If my moral compass tells me something is acceptable, who are they to tell me it's not? As I said......... a bunch of ignorant Zealots! And Packham fits the Zealot bill perfectly!

I too understand his conduct is currently under investigation by the BBC Trust............lets hope it's not just another case of the police investigating the police!

Edited by panoma1

If he worked for the BBC as a politics reporter then in his "other " en devours made it abundantly clear he was say a National Front supporter would the BBC have the same attitude toward him .? I think not .The problem here is so called political correctness ,he can express his views but you cant ,because your wrong and he is on the side of the good and kind so you dont get a voice . Thats the independent BBC for you .Time it was closed down or privatized . Time we started to take a leaf out of others books and shout of "our culture" and complain of discrimination . Works for the travelers the Scots and the Welsh ,the Gays and the those of strange and medieval religions .

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know his qualification or experience that makes him a 'wildlife expert'?

Quite often see self proffessed wildlife experts spouting their views when they have no qualifications or any reason to call them that, i'd imagine most keepers could easily call them selves wildlife experts if they wanted, but they wouldn't as they've got more sense and nothing to prove to anyone

Before him u had Proff David Bellamy that was sort of side lined because of his views on field sports.

Not saying presenters shouldn't have views, wether or not they agree with mine, but theyy should also atleast be open enough to air and question other peoples conflicting views

Does anyone know his qualification or experience that makes him a 'wildlife expert'?

Quite often see self proffessed wildlife experts spouting their views when they have no qualifications or any reason to call them that, i'd imagine most keepers could easily call them selves wildlife experts if they wanted, but they wouldn't as they've got more sense and nothing to prove to anyone

Before him u had Proff David Bellamy that was sort of side lined because of his views on field sports.

Not saying presenters shouldn't have views, wether or not they agree with mine, but theyy should also atleast be open enough to air and question other peoples conflicting views

Probably has similar non wildlife related qualifications as Brian May (guitarist) and oddly Bill (Goody). If they can be called qualifications per se.

The average keepers or farmers children are probably more qualified on wild life and country side matters, (by virtue of the experience gained growing up on the land) than those two.

He actually has a BSc in Zoology, has a lifetime interest and passion for nature and is by definition a knowledgeable naturalist.

His views may differ from ours but that does not detract from the fact that he is indeed knowledgeable and passionate on the subject and puts his money where his mouth is by funding ornithological research.

Do not underestimate the man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37455340

That's it then!

So he doesn't actually work for the BBC ?! Nobody has mentioned that before. If the issue is that the BBC report impartially thenI guess they have done that by also mentioning the view of the Countryside Alliance.

The important thing is that we are properly represented in any political debate over the future of grouse shooting. I have contacted my MP as part of the BASC campaign and I have forwarded his letter of support to BASC to assist with their campaign. I also think joining the Countryside Alliance is a good idea, it helps to boost the fighting fund and shows support. I think it is only by going through the correct channels , i.e politics, that the rural way of life will be protected from the celebrity bunny huggers.

He actually has a BSc in Zoology, has a lifetime interest and passion for nature and is by definition a knowledgeable naturalist.

His views may differ from ours but that does not detract from the fact that he is indeed knowledgeable and passionate on the subject and puts his money where his mouth is by funding ornithological research.

Do not underestimate the man.

Packham's views on badger culling are the same as mine... I was involved front line in gassing culls in the 70's and 90's didn't work doesn't work and wont work.

The only way to stop Cattle giving badgers Bovine TB is to inoculate them until its eradicated.

Badgers will only move in from other geographical areas, and quickly re-establish.. There's as many badgers around here now as there was 5 years ago and please no-one give me all the spiel about hedgehogs.. Yes Badgers do eat hedgehogs so do Gypsies.. the number one killer of hedgehogs in Britain is the motor car and the increasing onslaught of urbanisation.

I've counted 22 Badgers dead around this region on the roads since 1st January and 14 Hedgehogs since May !!

Packams knowledge on Native British Fauna is unparalleled IMO and much of it observed with his own eyes. He should not be underestimated indeed.

Bachelors degree. Ten a penny.

I take offence at that remark... I assume you have a Masters. ? :lol:

Edited by Adge Cutler

There is a particular stretch of the A66 I travel frequently, which is regularly littered with the remains of road killed badgers.

I used to see many many flat hedgehogs ( as well as red squirrels ) but I can't remember the last time I saw a flat hedgehog, but am still seeing flat red squirrels and a seemingly increasing number of dead badgers.

U can use figures like that as an index, while it will never give u a number on its own if u keep a record over many years and u could legitimately use it to show trends and do statistacl analysis on etc. Really not much different in principle to grouse counting with pointers (or many other transect counts) over years, ur walking the same transect every year and recording the trends

U could use it with other more detailed studies to get an accurate (well as accurate as u can get with things like that, could be a +-30% marign of error or more)

althou u would have to record how u go about counting them, ie same strech of road same numer of times etc.

Ideally if u all count in the same way u can compare it with other studies.

Althou increased traffic flow could skew it but if u measuerd an index of that it could all be accounted for.

But think 20-30 years ago how many dead foxes u seen on roads, now its pretty rare but broc is everywhere

But nobody wants to read stats like that.

Cheers charlie i never knew he actually studied zoology, not sure if he goes up or down in my opinion knowing that, I would of thought that would have opened his eyes to more land managemnt options, he would never be for fieldsports but would of hoped he would see us as a neccesary evil for all the positive benefits we bring.

Like mick said 10 a penny, his folks wil be chuft thou cos he got an 'ology'

TB lingers in the scat and urine of badgers that they deposit on the land. So is still present long after the culls are finished, thereby indicating new infections despite few or no badgers being in the area. A longer term study would give more accurate results, once the badgers are gone for a number of years.