Wildfowling - Season 2016/17

Wildfowler12

So I went out in search of my white friend.never seen him but had a magical evening .three greylags 1 mallard 1 teal and a cock pheasant on way to marshes๐Ÿ‘

You won't be having anymore Magical Flights IF your Licensing Department see that your shooting Pheasant OUT OF SEASON ๐Ÿ‘Ž

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Duno i cant be a wildfowler any more, got up at 245AM to go went in to the kitchen stuck the kettle on, walked into the dogs they are all asleep on the tiles springer woke up took one look at me and went back to sleep. The look he gave me as good as said....You are not going anywhere today dont kid yourself fella. :lol:

Too warm i just could not be bothered today. Pinks will be around soon strathbeg is calling. ;)

Nice story Marsh Man, went down the river to try for a salmon last night, did not see the White Goose, but did see 3 swans lass than 3 feet away from 9 Greylag geese. Take from that what you will.

Sadly no salmon though!
Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

We have the same on the N Norfolk Coast where a few domestic farmyard have joined the local greylag flock. Last season there were about a dozen white or half white birds , but I am glad to say in the 700 strong flock of greylags on our reserve are now down to just two white crossbreds this year.

ย 

PS, just noticed the flock of geese in your photo are Canada's not grey's. Is the white bird a greylag type domestic goose or a white canada?

Its definitely a feral white greylag - the orange bill is visible on the high res original and the closer follow up pics, i didn't post as they include local "landmarks" - there are 20+ that as you say escaped as a whole farmyard flock - they usually fly with the greys but the greys and canadas all roost together, so think this one must have just been left behind and joined the canadas for the morning - they were all going to the same place that morning, a newly cut crop of maize - hoping for a de ja vu moment in about 6 weeks time!.

Regards (and hope you are feeling better)

Anyone heading out for a shot this weekend ?i was ment to be out last night but work took over as usual.have been seen an awful lot of duck this year has anyone else had same observations??

Wont be out this weekend too much work on, i could have gone this morning , but decided not to bother based on the weather forcast for rain :rolleyes: . I will stand and get wet with the next man but not for what was on offer where i could practicaly go.

As for Duck yes i think your right they have done quite well overall, the cold spring had me a bit concerened they might be down a little but allthough ive not looked for any offical counts which are not that reliable anyway, in the three areas i have hunted in so far i feel numbers are pretty good.

Geese thats greys and canadas seem a little low, :hmm: but this time of year its often like this historicaly on these places.

I read the reports on pinkfeet this looks possitive for this season but last year was good too for me, and im hope full this season will be the same.

But as the old saying goes you must be in it to win it. And this weekend at least im regretfully not IN IT :sad1:

Anyone heading out for a shot this weekend ?i was ment to be out last night but work took over as usual.have been seen an awful lot of duck this year has anyone else had same observations??

Its a bit early on my saltmarsh , most ofther duck will not be coming in until next month , but thinking about having a look tomorrow morning. A very big tide just after dawn and a stiff north wind forcast so it might be a bit interesting.

Welcome Charlie, i was out last night hoping to get under the geese, as it was a covering tide at midnight. They didn't play ball but had a couple of teal and a mallard and a wonderful warm moonlight flight. It was so warm I nearly lifted my gun to some of the huge mozzies flying about... Off on Hols now for two weeks, hoping the Pinks are here in force on my return!