1st ton up this year

richards0170

there is a set clump of wheat field that is always a hot spot just behind our house. after seeing it cut last week me and my cousin were on it as soon as we could. a quick reccy the night before reveald that within the couple of days it had been cultivated and so it as do we or dont we on that field. after continuing the reccy there was another wheat stubble field a short way away that hadn't been cultivated yet and so we decided upon this field for the next morning, although it turns out the selected field had never been shot before as the farmer could remember.

onto the next day and my cousin set up as I had to pop to work for a couple hours and met him there. he set up at 10 and I got there at 12, which by then he had shot about 35 blackies and 15 pigeons. after a very steady flow throughout the day we ended up with picking up 114birds compromising of 67pigeons and 47 blackies.

2 happy shooters although we are still wondering if the pigeons would have decoyed onto the cultivated field that is always a hotspot?????

there is a set clump of wheat field that is always a hot spot just behind our house. after seeing it cut last week me and my cousin were on it as soon as we could. a quick reccy the night before reveald that within the couple of days it had been cultivated and so it as do we or dont we on that field. after continuing the reccy there was another wheat stubble field a short way away that hadn't been cultivated yet and so we decided upon this field for the next morning, although it turns out the selected field had never been shot before as the farmer could remember.

onto the next day and my cousin set up as I had to pop to work for a couple hours and met him there. he set up at 10 and I got there at 12, which by then he had shot about 35 blackies and 15 pigeons. after a very steady flow throughout the day we ended up with picking up 114birds compromising of 67pigeons and 47 blackies.

2 happy shooters although we are still wondering if the pigeons would have decoyed onto the cultivated field that is always a hotspot? ????

You will never know. :lol::lol:

2 happy shooters although we are still wondering if the pigeons would have decoyed onto the cultivated field that is always a hotspot? ????

Sometimes I have found that a rough cultivation can help. My guess is that the combines with a chaff cutter at the end tend to cover any spilt grain with chaff, making it inaccessable to pigeons as they can't/don't scratch like chickens do. A few tines pulled through turns it over a bit and can reveal grain. (Maybe??!!)