Fallow rut

kobidog

I have heard that that shooting fallow bucks during the rut is not a good idea as they **** all over themselves and smell horrendous when it comes to butchering them. Is this true is it really that bad? And if so when do they start to smell, I know they rut around October time but am not sure how long the rut carries on for.

Thanks

When fully Rutting trust me They Stink so much that if you stalk properly you can smell them way before you see them.

Normally about now Pricket's will start opening small scrapes before the Big Lad's turn mid October but it's weather dependant. I've known them not start till 28th October and keep going to late November. Also just because you don't hear them Grunting Belching does not mean they are not Rutting. Some years they are very vocal others you might not hear one

• 3 weeks later...

Don't shoot the rutting fallow, there the next stock. Most game dealers will not take then as they think, have now weight to them and full of tasaestarone. Leave then till well after the rut.

Watch near there stands and you pick off the prickets and spikers. We leave them from 1st October until the does come in season and then take the baron does and smaller bucks and then thin the **** end of October

• 2 weeks later...

Don't shoot the rutting fallow, there the next stock. Most game dealers will not take then as they think, have now weight to them and full of tasaestarone. Leave then till well after the rut.

Watch near there stands and you pick off the prickets and spikers. We leave them from 1st October until the does come in season and then take the baron does and smaller bucks and then thin the **** end of October

As above, a farmer keeps his prize bull, pig or ram for the future gene pool and harvests his bullocks, young pigs and lambs pre testosterone maturity for a reason. Only trouble is that the big boys are easy to stalk in the rut and some just can't help shooting for the antlers rather than the meat which is a real shame in the bigger picture.

Agree with all of the above, but, if you have a good number of mature bucks on your area and need a trophy ...sometimes the trophy fee helps the economy ... then selectively picking one of the big boys is ok. With regard to does, I could never see anything humane in extending the doe season into March, I considered that decision to be disgusting but obviously pressed by those who can't get the job done properly in the 4 months they have available under the old rules. It would have been better to have brought it forward two weeks to 15th October but in my view was totally unnecessary. I refuse to shoot any doe after the end of Feb unless it's sick or injured obviously.