Inland goose cartridge

Caravanman

Inland and decoying can mean some longer shots depends what your doing or what they decide they want to do.

The best laid plans and all that, it can be normal game loads to 3.5s even 10s etc. If your buying 36 gram leads RCs i think i would go for 3s english about 130 pellets and a bit harder hitting if you should need it. id go 3s myself with that loading.

I've got a chance at some inland geese on a new permission and my local gun shops have good selection of Gamebore and RC cartridges available. What would you be recommending? I'm thinking the RC 4 36g 4 over decoys. In Scotland so I can use lead.

Use what you normally shoot with best mate. I shoot both Inland and Foreshore and 99.9% of the time use 36grms of Steel the other being a odd HW13/PWS admittedly England but even if I went to Scotland I'd still use Steel.

I'm not in anyway being controversial but I honestly don't get people who shoot Geese regularly on the Foreshore with Steel/ non toxic shot to good effect yet go Inland Scotland and use Lead.

What ever you choose good luck and enjoy yourself 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I've tried most weights of shells and I would never feel undergunned with a 42g 3.

Used a lot of 50g shells as well in a 1. Don't think they added any more birds to the bag. Just more cost and more kick.

Did try 10 x 60g shells at one point,(goodness knows why) as my 3rd shot. Again, didn't add any more birds to the bag.

Inland ranges can be quite far if birds don't decoy well. Sometimes they veer off at the edge of range. In addition, the first shot may be "close" but a clipped bird for a follow up shot might be further out so stick to a decent shot size.

I always liked express.

Just to add, now I still use 42g Gamebore steel 1s for inland as that's what I buy in anyway. More than adequate

Victory minimags are my favourite of all the mini magnums, one crazy thing is they are the best value of all the mini mags!

36g those RC4 you mentioned are superb marginally better are the Rottweil Waidmanshiell but they are bloody expensive!

If you fancy a full 3" magnum then Hull Solways or the same cartridge rebranded Hull Extreme Game in 50g BB take some beating for knock down ability and manageable recoil