forgetful

AberFowl

Lets have some honest answers...as embarrassing as it may be..

How many have forgot to load the gun on a flight?

I have just walked off the mud after a rather frustrating but equally enjoyable flight (enjoy every second of every flight!)

I was up and out far too early, as usual, a coffee from the flask before walking out to a likely position where I unsleeved the gun and sat back to wait for some light, hoping to bag a mallard and maybe another chance at the few canadas kicking about. After light breaking and a few small parties of duck flapping past my chance finally came in the shape of 3 mallard, a good height travelling at a reasonable rate of knots, up the gun as confident as ever and CLICK.. It was at that moment I knew straight away I hadn't loaded the damn gun! I was rather miffed so quickly loaded up only to sit the rest of the flight watching small parties of canadas and mallard pass too wide either side of my position! Another memorable flight!

Iv done one worse than that, my first ever seaon , on the morning of the 1st September, picked my mate up and drove to the marsh, we got there early so had a brew in the van , deceided now wAs the time to get ready and walk out, after getting waders on , grabbing the decoys grabbing my wading stick.......I then realised...... I hadn't brought my gun....

I've forgot to load the gun on a few occasions over the years. Once travelled to the Marsh a hour Journey only to find I'd left my Gun on kitchen worktop. Had my 12ga and 20ga cartridges luckily was able to borrow some But was not so lucky when I had my 20ga and 12ga cartridges

I have never forgoten a gun but did something just as stupid, I once went to a piece of stalking ground i had in the borders not far from galshiels, got there gets out grabs the gun lets the dog got ammo wips the mag out loads it clips it in.........No BOLT. :unhappy::rolleyes::lol: # hour drive home its asleep on the kitchen worktop exactly where i left it when making my flask.

Many years ago I stripped all the lines off my trout reels to clean them prior to the first visit of the season to a distant Stillwater........yep you've guessed it!...........got to the venue to find all my reels had been left on the shed workbench!.......about turn......40 miles home....left the visit for another day!

Went fowling to Scotland with my Brother who was up from South Devon.....settled into hotel......getting all gear ready for morning flight, my brother found he had no forend of his SBS......he had left it on the bed at home in Devon!

Was given some so-called 'decent' 10 bore homeloads to try on a flight, no geese in sight, flight almost over when 3 high mallard came straight over my head. I swung through, pulled the trigger, big flash out the barrel and heard the pellets rolling up the barrel, someone had 'forgot' to load the cartridges properly....:lol:

Was given some so-called 'decent' 10 bore homeloads to try on a flight, no geese in sight, flight almost over when 3 high mallard came straight over my head. I swung through, pulled the trigger, big flash out the barrel and heard the pellets rolling up the barrel, someone had 'forgot' to load the cartridges properly.... :lol:

that's a good example of why I will never use someone else's homeloads!

Iv done one worse than that, my first ever seaon , on the morning of the 1st September, picked my mate up and drove to the marsh, we got there early so had a brew in the van , deceided now wAs the time to get ready and walk out, after getting waders on , grabbing the decoys grabbing my wading stick.......I then realised...... I hadn't brought my gun....

I have forgotten my gun before, but luckily I only live 10 mins from the foreshore.

Went to Lindisfarne in my 20s for a morning flight at the Wideopens after a heavy night....

Made it to my spot in the dunes and next thing it was 4pm! had dropped off missed the flight and most of day.

3 mile walk back to car feeling veery very shabby.

Needless to say learned lesson!

If the truth is known , most of us have left something behind at some time or other.

Apart from guns , cartridges and just about every thing to do with pigeon shooting the one thing I left behind once was my biggest worry .

I went to our local game dealers once and left my car door open when I went in the office , having had a yarn with one of the young ladies longer than I should have I was then in a rush to get away , I then had to travel about 10 miles to where I was going shooting and as soon as I was there I opened the tail gate to let the dog out and yes you have guessed it , no dog , somehow he had followed me out at the dealers , having covered the 10 miles back in record time the woman was waiting near the door and the first thing she said was your dog have made himself at home in the office , I don't know who was most relieved seeing each other , me or the dog , another lesson learnt and up to now its never been repeated .

If the truth is known , most of us have left something behind at some time or other.

Apart from guns , cartridges and just about every thing to do with pigeon shooting the one thing I left behind once was my biggest worry .

I went to our local game dealers once and left my car door open when I went in the office , having had a yarn with one of the young ladies longer than I should have I was then in a rush to get away , I then had to travel about 10 miles to where I was going shooting and as soon as I was there I opened the tail gate to let the dog out and yes you have guessed it , no dog , somehow he had followed me out at the dealers , having covered the 10 miles back in record time the woman was waiting near the door and the first thing she said was your dog have made himself at home in the office , I don't know who was most relieved seeing each other , me or the dog , another lesson learnt and up to now its never been repeated .

Nice one :lol::lol: glad the ol' dawg didn't suffer.

Loads of mayhem for me. The most common being taking 20 bore guns and putting 12 gauge cartridges in the truck and vice versa.

Fishing with no reels is very normal. Bait left at home common. Worse heart attack was paying an old boy for some hay and leaving my wallet on the top of the truck. Some how it was it the back when I got home after a 30 mile drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a gentleman that took me fowling about 15 years ago for my first ever evening flight

Well after packing everything up and walking 40 mins back to the vehicle he realised he had left his gun in its slip hanging on a wooden stake

The worst part was when we got back there we discovered that the tide had pushed up estuary and he could not get to his gun lol

He was lucky it was just a neap tide not a big spring or he would have some explaining to do to the firearms team