Galvanised chassis ????

Walker570

Rear cross member on the Landie Def 90 (1989) has buckled when trying to jack the back end up, so having to decide, do I go for a full new galvanised chassis or just get the rear cross member renewed. Probably £500 against £2500 or a bit more.

My Landie is my right arm and if I go out looking for another, it isn't going to have a 3.9V8 etc etc and will probably cost me more with unknown problems. Any of you guys had a new chassis fitted, unseen costs/problems, names of companies (looked at Tonks web site) you think good etc etc. All thoughts on the matter gratefully received.

I gave my mate a hand to do his and all the extra costs were things such as brake pipes fuel pipes clips and other little things like that plus we changed the clutch and timing belt whilst we ha good access Def 90 300tdi. Wasn't a bad job and the extra cost wasn't that much, we did it over a 3 month period weekend and a few hours through the week only.

Edited by Luckyshot

Rear cross member on the Landie Def 90 (1989) has buckled when trying to jack the back end up, so having to decide, do I go for a full new galvanised chassis or just get the rear cross member renewed. Probably £500 against £2500 or a bit more.

My Landie is my right arm and if I go out looking for another, it isn't going to have a 3.9V8 etc etc and will probably cost me more with unknown problems. Any of you guys had a new chassis fitted, unseen costs/problems, names of companies (looked at Tonks web site) you think good etc etc. All thoughts on the matter gratefully received.

hello, where do you get your landy chassis price?

I have no experience of this so cannot help much apart from saying I have always wanted to have a land rover with fully galvanised chassis I have never been one to keep on changing my cars but always it is rust that does it for me once they start to rust I sell it and get another.

The very thought of having one that would not go rusty really appeals to me so if it was up to me I would say spend the money and get it done if you get another you will be in the same position further down the line galvanised chassis and all of the break and other pipes made of copper it should last for ever.

hello, where do you get your landy chassis price?

That was the quote for the complete job, strip refurbish and fit new chassis. n I think that is about what Tonks was listing. Waiting for a reply from them as they are not too far away and good to here a recommendation. Thanks

Edited by Walker570

I you have a look on landyzone for a members name pressbrake. Sorry forgot he has a website Black sheep offroad.

If he's still doing them he'll sort you out with the best crossmember on the market, far better than anyone else could ever do.

Edited by landy george

Bit the bullet but cannot get it done until first week in February as Tonks are fully booked until then. Yes they use the Marsland chassis but happy with that. I'm not going rock climbing :-) Price has gone up a bit because whilst the bodies off I have instructed all other bits to be renewed ..clutch etc. false economy not to. So just a semi bodge patching job for the MOT and then I can use it through the season. Mr Tonks thinks the turn around would be 8 to 10 days, so not bad. Thanks for all the advice etc., appreciated.

The chassis carries the vehicle identity so buying an old chassis and dipping, thats completely illegal. But hey, Land Rovers right...

Just the same as you can't get tax exempt coil sprung series 2/2a/3, But hey........Landrovers right

Think the most 'wrong un' I've seen was a tax exempt discovery 200tdi

Edited by TaxiDriver

Last Landrover we had was a 1988...89 F reg 90 was a 2.5 Turbo the old engine, It had a rotten chassis at the rear mostly but i decided to strip it, i got it down to the bare chassis and hit it with the needle gun it just litteraly self destructed holes everywhere, very thin where it was not holed.

This would be 1994 spring, i decided to get a new chassis looked at a few in the LRO mags at the time ended up getting one from a firm in Doncaster Arrow services was galvanised and heavy construction was a straightforward build even the holes were drilled bigger to alow for the galvanusing it went together like clockwork, from ordering to dellivery was 4 days, it took me longer to assem ble the thing than it did for them to build and delliver the chassis, you could do a lot worse than get one off them.

Just asking, so how do you fit a Richards & marsland chassis without it being illegal?

Grey area in my mind

Land rover forums would have you believe if it is exactly like for like and it's brand new its fine. I'm pretty sure to do so it has to come from the original manufacturer but the dvla don't know their **** from their elbow and hey, land rovers right...

Edited by LowStandards

I have seen that some people say that they should be painted with protective paint on top of the galvanising as they can still rust under the galvanise if there are imperfections in it .

In fact some people have said that a cleaning the chassis back to bare metal and giving it some coats of rust proofing paint will last as long as a galvanised one I have no practical experience of this so do not no if it is correct or not.

I have seen that some people in the US who do up market restorations of 4x4s go for a special type of powder coating rather than have it galvanised.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I have seen that some people say that they should be painted with protective paint on top of the galvanising as they can still rust under the galvanise if there are imperfections in it .

In fact some people have said that a cleaning the chassis back to bare metal and giving it some coats of rust proofing paint will last as long as a galvanised one I have no practical experience of this so do not no if it is correct or not.

I have seen that some people in the US who do up market restorations of 4x4s go for a special type of powder coating rather than have it galvanised.

The good thing about galvanizing is that because its dipped it does the inside as well. My korando chassis weighed 16kg's more after coating.