Unseasonable Weather .

marsh man

With the first week behind us now, we can now look back on what was a very hot beginning , I don't know weather it is just me or what but I cant remember a week at the beginning of September where it have been so warm both day and night and the lack of any wind .

I haven't took my gun out yet and it will be another three weeks or so before I leave pigeons alone and go into wildfowling mode , having said that I have been out every morning and night up the marshes since the start and have only heard the odd shot , speaking to one or two who have gave a go were saying not only how quite it has been but also how hot it was with very little movement of any fowl that are about .

Today I am just back from giving my dog a swim in the river and it is better than a Summers day with the holiday makers walking about in shorts and tee shirts and the temp in my motor 26 degrees........ not really like duck shooting weather .

Its very hot and humid got eaten alive by midges the other night, not much about not a breath of wind, might venture out at the weekend but certainly not traveling up north tomorrow as i had planned.

If you think about how the seasons are these days i dont think it would hurt if they started the season on the 1st of October and ended it 20th of march on the shores.

Shame it wont ever happen. And if it was set back a month they would want to rob us in march more than likeley. ..

After another hot day , is the end in sight as the forecast for Friday is heavy rain showers and near normal temperatures at the weekend .

Today I went down the marsh and it was the first time I have seen them irritating the new seed beds as they are bone dry , also the sugar beet look as if that could do with a good soaking as the leaves are wilting in the constant heat.

I then cut over the marsh to walk back along the estuary wall to look at the bird life and let my dogs cool off , how things change over the years with Avocets and Egrets once a talking point if you came across one , now it would be a talking point if you didn't see one. We now see rarities fairly regular with a number of Mediterranean Gulls on there at the moment , no doubt all down to global warming ?

SAM_4809_zpsuqk1ubqq.jpg

Its awful when its hot when out fowling and it just isn't for me not really fowling in my book....got a report off a fella that he went Tuesday tideflighting on a slack tide and it was 28°c and ducks just sat way out basking in it....he cooked like a Xmas torky and i said yeah fool!!

Just as hot today in N Norfolk with the car reading well over 30 and the outside temperature in the high 20s. Took my dogs for a walk and swim along the river Wensum close to my house this morning. The river has been "rewilded" which i suspect is an excuse to stop river managment and save money ( weed no longer cut and overhanging and fallen trees left where they fall ) and there were only a few holes in the reed\bullrush thickets which the dogs used to get into the river. All went well until I called them back. Pip my young pup appeared quickly , but the old dog Meg vanished . She is getting on now and getting quite deaf these days. After calling for 10 minuets I set off in search of her , but with all the thick reeds and bulrushes it was hard to see onto the water. 10 minuets later there was no sign of her and i started to get worried. Then a young woman walking a springer came around the path saying there was a black lab chasing something several hundred yards further up river. I hurried on only to be met with Meg with a moulting flightless hen mallard in her mouth which to her amazment I released unharmed. She had swum nearly 400 yards upstream against a strong flow to get that duck and i thought it was getting close to the time I retired her. I sat on a fallen tree trunk releaved she was ok , Pip sitting one side of me eating grass , but the old dog was 100% in hunting mode ears pricked up and nose twitching when a moorhen called on the water 100 yards off. Time to head for home before she " did her thing " as my mates say once again. This has always been a major fault she has had since I first got her , if a bird is down she has to get it no matter what. Over the last decade she has pulled dozens of seemingly impossible retrieves on birds that should have been lost. last season she found two distant pinks that my mates dogs had given up on. Last season I shot over 100 wildfowl , she retrieved all but two of them and found at least 25 duck my mates had shot. So with a 2-3% loss rate I recon she earns her tin of dog meat every night.

Pip is going to have a lot to live up to when the time comes to take as the main retriever , but at the moment she has a hell of a lot to learn and somehow I do not think Pip will be ready for that this season.

Edited by anser2

Just as hot today in N Norfolk with the car reading well over 30 and the outside temperature in the high 20s. Took my dogs for a walk and swim along the river Wensum close to my house this morning. The river has been "rewilded" which i suspect is an excuse to stop river managment and save money ( weed no longer cut and overhanging and fallen trees left where they fall ) and there were only a few holes in the reed\bullrush thickets which the dogs used to get into the river. All went well until I called them back. Pip my young pup appeared quickly , but the old dog Meg vanished . She is getting on now and getting quite deaf these days. After calling for 10 minuets I set off in search of her , but with all the thick reeds and bulrushes it was hard to see onto the water. 10 minuets later there was no sign of her and i started to get worried. Then a young woman walking a springer came around the path saying there was a black lab chasing something several hundred yards further up river. I hurried on only to be met with Meg with a moulting flightless hen mallard in her mouth which to her amazment I released unharmed. She had swum nearly 400 yards upstream against a strong flow to get that duck and i thought it was getting close to the time I retired her. I sat on a fallen tree trunk releaved she was ok , Pip sitting one side of me eating grass , but the old dog was 100% in hunting mode ears pricked up and nose twitching when a moorhen called on the water 100 yards off.

You have to just love Labs , im gutted my old lad is past his best this year, he seemed to be picking up the other day but this hot weather knocked him back, he dose not have to walk far before he is out of breath hes ok on short walks and swims and still pretty agile jumps in trucks and all that fine but once he gets tired hes struggling.

sounds like your old girl is a bit more fleet than my dog anyway Robert.

I am looking for a new pup pretty soon , i had chance of one off a friend last october i should have got a pup then.

Good luck with your search for a new pup Tony. I has a struggle to get one that suits me as I live alone and until I took early retirement last month the dog was going to have be old enough to walk around the reserve with me or be left in the car without destroying it. So I needed a 9-12 month old pup and without paying an arm and leg for one I found it hard to track one down.

Good luck with your search for a new pup Tony. I has a struggle to get one that suits me as I live alone and until I took early retirement last month the dog was going to have be old enough to walk around the reserve with me or be left in the car without destroying it. So I needed a 9-12 month old pup and without paying an arm and leg for one I found it hard to track one down.

I can appreciate that Robert a suitable older dog can be hard to find, i got my Young GSP at 4 months i was dead lucky to find him, he was hand trained but had been kenneled his house training was a worry but went super smooth.

He was at that age when he wanted to bond and again he did this well, but once he got confident he got very headstrong, not 100% sure if its just the nature of the individual dog or bloodline or that he was not with me from a tiny dog.

In the case of my new labrador i will be getting a 6 week old pup, i know a breeder and i have had dogs off him before. I wont have a problem finding a dog in this instance.

Im sort of mulling over colours rather like you were with chocolate, and my jovial retort of Labs will always be black at our house :lol: . As come back to haunt me now..

I thought about a fox red for the cammo aspect more than anything else, and of course because we have never had one. but the rest of the family are not too keen and they want another Black im not that bothered one way or the other and i think we will take the best pup at the end of the day regardless of colour.