What's your go to foxing Rifle

Patrol

For me

Short range

.22 WMR. Out to a 100

Mid out to 200.

.222 This one is my all time favourite - sweet rifle and round, really does the job, I've got two of these and keep saying I'll sell one but ones permanent NV and the other has a decent day scope on it - I'll just keep it a little while longer. Lol

Lambing fields / long range

6.5 X 55 or .308.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll shoot them with whatever I have with me. Over the years I've taken loads with the 22rf. but If I am specifically going after Charlie it could be either the 222 or the 223 mostly I use the 223 which is a Winchester mod 70 that I bought around 95. I have worked on it to make the bolt smooth and the barrel glass bedded. It carries a Leupold 6x42 and launches a 55grn Sierra game king bthp #1390 at 3450. This worked up load has taken every target that it has hit out to 300 paces.

Edited by fortune

I don't have a dedicated foxing rifle, I'll shoot them with my Hmr or WMR. My other option on the large fields (+50 Acre) I use my 25-06.

That large field is just a meadow around here kyska. Some of ours are 200 plus. I have one old WW2 bomber airfield that is still just one field. Nary a hedge or a ditch on it.

22 Bench Rest, 17 Remington or if on dual deer/fox patrol my wildcat 257RRI (7x57R case, necked to 25 and blown out. Like an Ackley on steroids) only one in the world, my own design. A true wildcat. 17 Rem is however my favourite.

Wow. I've got a slot for a 17 rem. What load and tips do you prefer and find the best in your particular rifle. Is your 17 rifle a standard or a special also.

22 Bench Rest, 17 Remington or if on dual deer/fox patrol my wildcat 257RRI (7x57R case, necked to 25 and blown out. Like an Ackley on steroids) only one in the world, my own design. A true wildcat. 17 Rem is however my favourite.

Ooh, some pics of the cartridge and rifle please!