Had my first proper lesson yesterday

Bigmax1701

If it doesn't work out with your new set up Try Carl Bloxham he is based just south of Stratford upon Avon, cb@carlbloxham.com, he is, in my opinion one of the best coaches in the country. I have just had a refresher lesson with him and really enjoyed it it was three hours, at a good tempo, going through a variety of targets with regular pauses for a coffee, when, at the same time we discussed the previous session,

• 3 weeks later...

I met up with Salopian this morning for some instruction and had a brilliant time. With his guidance I was soon breaking clays consistently from various types of trap.

He took it from the basics, taking nothing for granted checking eye dominance, stance and mount. Then moved on to method of hitting the clays that I 'knew' in theory but honed to make it work in practice. I discovered I think to much about the technical side and need to 'just let it flow' instead. :good:

To address one of my original comments, I fired 75 cartridges in an hour today. However I felt like every one counted and taught me something, underneath, in front, behind etc. After instruction I was able to see why I missed and correct it for a hit on the next shot :)

Most importantly I came away feeling like I learned and accomplished a lot :yahoo:

Many thanks to Salopian for today!

I met up with Salopian this morning for some instruction and had a brilliant time. With his guidance I was soon breaking clays consistently from various types of trap.

He took it from the basics, taking nothing for granted checking eye dominance, stance and mount. Then moved on to method of hitting the clays that I 'knew' in theory but honed to make it work in practice. I discovered I think to much about the technical side and need to 'just let it flow' instead. :good:

To address one of my original comments, I fired 75 cartridges in an hour today. However I felt like every one counted and taught me something, underneath, in front, behind etc. After instruction I was able to see why I missed and correct it for a hit on the next shot :)

Most importantly I came away feeling like I learned and accomplished a lot :yahoo:

Great to here you are getting somewere and it has helped you to get back into the clays and enjoying yourself .keep at it and have fun

Peter is one of the best, I am glad you enjoyed the lesson and that you felt that you really gained something from the experiance

I had some confidence issues and was very down on my game shooting at the end of the season. I posted several of my issues on here and with some great advice i managed to get a 1 to 1 lesson with somone up here quickly. Stuart very quickly identified what my issues were, yes more than one!! In the hour and a half he set about telling me where i was making mistakes. And how to rectify, Looking back it was worth its weight in gold. Good luck

Edited by novice cushie shooter

Bigmax 1701,

Thank you for the kind words.

It really saddens me to come on these forums and hear disaster stories of novices being taken for a ride , paying for 'Instructors ' to massage their own ego's .

Anyone offering or giving advice needs to know that the customer /pupil is the important person and should offer and give advice and instruction that is structured so that the client gets the best value for their needs .

Tailor the tuition to harness the strengths of the customer and progress slowly and methodically.

Bigmax 1701,

Thank you for the kind words.

It really saddens me to come on these forums and hear disaster stories of novices being taken for a ride , paying for 'Instructors ' to massage their own ego's .

Anyone offering or giving advice needs to know that the customer /pupil is the important person and should offer and give advice and instruction that is structured so that the client gets the best value for their needs .

Tailor the tuition to harness the strengths of the customer and progress slowly and methodically.

very well said , and you have summed it up great , what grounds do you shoot at.

Thank you.

I teach regularly at Hodnet, Oakedge , Cloudside , Millride, & Holland & Holland. Other grounds privately by appointment.

A CPSA Senior Instructor, BASC accredited Coach , both for a VERY long time . Founder member of The Guild of Shooting Instructors , founder member of APSI.

If you are in Scotland and require guidance seek out Stewart Cumming a protege of mine , Colin Will , or Willie Gordon, tell them I asked you to get in touch to be looked after.

Peter is one of the best, I am glad you enjoyed the lesson and that you felt that you really gained something from the experiance

Not surprising when you know who trained him - although it's to his own credit that he developed from there. Nice one, mate - I bet 'sir' Chris is looking down with approval.

It was stewart cummings i had my lessons with. Highly recommend him. Very thourgh and a great guy.

Thank you.

I teach regularly at Hodnet, Oakedge , Cloudside , Millride, & Holland & Holland. Other grounds privately by appointment.

A CPSA Senior Instructor, BASC accredited Coach , both for a VERY long time . Founder member of The Guild of Shooting Instructors , founder member of APSI.

If you are in Scotland and require guidance seek out Stewart Cumming a protege of mine , Colin Will , or Willie Gordon, tell them I asked you to get in touch to be looked after.

Wymberley,

That is a very nice comment , thank you.

I guess I was born at the right time to have experienced lessons and training with many legends.

It has stood me in good stead and I honestly believe that I learn or improve every day .

The great thing is that after all these years I still enjoy every day out in the field .

Mr Craddock?

:good:

A lovely man. He acted as John King's 'stooge client' on the first BASC coaches course back in '86 - probably others but I know not - and was introduced as 'Sir Christopher'. A couple of us were lucky as he attended many of the country shows in my neck of the woods and always made a bee line for the BASC coaching stand and we shamelessly picked his brains whenever we had a minute to spare.

Thank you.

Many thanks, i do ok and i am happy the way i shoot.