Exceptionally Luck Pink's

6.5x55SE

Having got the local Goose problem sorted on the New ground that a Farmer asked me to Help with do to the weather forecast i decided to have a third look of the season to the County of Geese.

All the Geese I'd shot so was with my New 20ga so i decided to take my 12ga SXP. After a wet and breezy journey i let the lab's out and quickly put on lightweight waterproof leggings an jacket put a dozen 36gms steel home loads in my pocket and set off to a spot where i was hopeful for a shot with fantastic views ( I'M sure Motty would agree ).

Hardly had i tucked into the rubbish a ragged bunch of Greylag appeared slowly they came but crossed out of range to my left set their paddles to land 400-500yrd on the stubble as i was watching a third Skien thinking i should move Greylag talk caused me to turn to see 40odd Greylag coming Game On.

When the moment of truth came i was brought back to earth with a bump as my two shots found nothing but fresh air quickly fumbling to reload as another Skien approached again i was rewarded with a double MISS.

Cursing as I'd been shooting so well with my 20ga i dejectedly sat watching as several more Skeins that went into the stubble a third opportunity came thankfully my two shots claimed two Greylag and minutes later i got another double.

Having decided 4 was enough i stood to go to my Truck when five Geese appeared as these got closer eeeeeerm are they aren't they YES 100% Pink's

even before they got in range i could see 3 young with Mum and Dad giving them a Voice shout they dropped there paddles started making the murmuring noise they make as they go to land and went straight over my head feet up to land on the stubble. Why did I not shoot !!!!! Several times in the past I've shot September Pink's and honestly felt no urge what so ever as i had nothing to achieve BUT I've not gone all Pete Scott because had i been shooting with my 20ga 100% them Pink's would have been shot at or had Conor my Nephew or Guest been out with me again they would have had it.

Having walked about 100yrds calling of Pink's stopped me turning i saw 9 again it was so obvious that Mum an Dad with young.After changing at my Truck i got my Binoculars to look at the stubble at first i thought the Pink's had gone but know they was head tucked under wing asleep every now an again a Sooty head would appear then disappear.

As i drove away i stopped for one last look thinking " Game On now " you Pink's WON'T be so lucky from now on.

Speaking to my Brother he also saw a small bunch of Pink's and a mate saw some to all in different areas to where I'd saw mine. Back end of this Moon should see a good number more

Edited by 6.5x55SE

Yes, it is a fantastic view from up there. Shame those pinks were not there last Saturday. I have never shot one in September.

Both lots went over where you wacked your first Greylag. To be honest normally the early Pink's are here today gone tomorrow can be Fosdyke then the Broads. If the stubble stay along with the Greylag your more than welcome to chance your luck

Good to see there are some pinks about Boyd and as you say we can expect to see more just after the full moon. I had a bad fall last week damaging my ribs and shoulder so it will be a few weeks before I will be after them!

Sorry to hear about your fall Robert hope you recover quickly.

A few small party's are using where we first met and used to shoot

I've yet to see any pinks myself this season.

Popped over to check some stubbles yesterday evening which i know will get some geese soon, managed a rabbit with the 10 bore :lol: Was hoping to stay until dusk to see anything flighting about but the girlfriends van decided to break down with curtailed my shooting for the rest of the weekend!

Still not to bad getting four Greys Boyd , and after your triple its nice to know you are human after all and can miss the same as most of us :lol: , yesterday I thought the weather was changing at long last but today we went to Sandringham Country Fair and it was scorching yet again and due to get warmer this coming week .

Good to see there are some pinks about Boyd and as you say we can expect to see more just after the full moon. I had a bad fall last week damaging my ribs and shoulder so it will be a few weeks before I will be after them!

Sorry about your fall anser2 and hope your on the mend before to long . :good: