Dog insurance

Cosd

Can anyone shed any light on best type of dog insurance.

I have been looking at "lifetime" policies as they are supposed to cover you "for life" if the dog has an ongoing issue as long as you insure again with that same insurer; But it also states that the insurer can withdraw that cover on renewal, so it isn't really life time!

Can anyone help on best policy type? I'm looking on GoCompare

Cos

I believe they can still increase the premium on lifetime cover so not necessarily economically viable.

Personally mine are insured on the more standard policy as I am more worried about accidents. When the dog gets to a certain age it's usually so expensive it's not worth paying. It all depends what you would subject the dog to, I would never subject one to chemo and with serious long term issues I would usually just go till the dog wasn't happy

I believe they can still increase the premium on lifetime cover so not necessarily economically viable.

Personally mine are insured on the more standard policy as I am more worried about accidents. When the dog gets to a certain age it's usually so expensive it's not worth paying. It all depends what you would subject the dog to, I would never subject one to chemo and with serious long term issues I would usually just go till the dog wasn't happy

Lifetime seemed the best one on the outset, but looking more at it, I realised that they can increase the premium and they can also refuse to cover the condition on renewal!! Which defeats the purpose somewhat.

Looks like £it will cost £25 - £30 to get half decent cover, but if I spend that on Maximum payout type policy at least I'm covered for a larger amount.

I stopped insuring my dogs. I may have been lucky but my reasoning is that £25 per month that's £300 per year. For example my 10 year old working springer has had maybe 2 trips to the vets in her working life costing a total of about £300 saving me £2700 over her lifetime. If she needed serious surgery I have the money in the bank. If you can't find say 2k without forgoing on the mortgage get insurance. If you can well I would have a think on it.

This is the same with all my dogs and the figures quoted are only rough.

I stopped insuring my dogs. I may have been lucky but my reasoning is that £25 per month that's £300 per year. For example my 10 year old working springer has had maybe 2 trips to the vets in her working life costing a total of about £300 saving me £2700 over her lifetime. If she needed serious surgery I have the money in the bank. If you can't find say 2k without forgoing on the mortgage get insurance. If you can well I would have a think on it.

This is the same with all my dogs and the figures quoted are only rough.

Likewise I have stopped insuring my terrier, following a claim last year..

My dog got set about by a pair of dogs on a saturday morning and received a bite in the mouth that left him with 2 front teeth pointing at silly angles such that it would be obvious that he required emergency dentistry and would suffer if this was left until monday morning.

The insurance company then said that they would not pay for the out of hours (saturday daytime)surgery as the injury was not life threatening :no:.

Now, i ensure that i always have an "empty" credit card , I pocket the £25 per month and anything he needs he gets and i'll worry about the credit card bill later !

I have also stopped a springer I had one claim in nine years for an op about £500 I got about £150 quid back also they up the preminium after about 8 years because of her age then paid out less because of her age for the op

I now pay £ 20 into a pot a month it soon adds up especially if you have a dog that doesn't hardly ever go or if they do get a large bill I have a good chunk towards it if not that's the money for the next dog

Mine paid out 3k this year on a branch injury which had 3 operations to sort out. Minor injury with vet negligence involved but insurance paid and made it less of a bad experience. Had she not been insured it would have been a nightmare

That's terrible hope she is ok now.

As said insurance has its place, its just not for me.

We are with pet plan our oldest dog has had thousands spent on her 6k for 1 op for a collapsed spine

And had loads of lumps dug out of her they have never played us up we don't pay then re claim they deal directly with our vet

The younger dog (Betty's daughter) has only seen the vet for check ups and annual injection

So it's as above I suppose luck of the draw

However if we didn't have insurance betty would have been put down when her back went we could never have found 6k which was just for the surgery never mind the after care

Edited by jonny thomas

We took the decision not to get Wilson insured since prices were about 50 - 60 quid a month for his breed, horrendous prices nowadays. However, we put away 50 quid a month into premuim bonds and if we need it for him, we will use that money saved up, if not we have a nice nest of money. Its a bit of a gamble but we'd pay up for his treatment either way.

I am not a gambler i dont bet on horses and i do the lotery unreliably, but where dog inssurance is concerned we gamble, rather than shell out your hard earned every month and never see any return on it, put the premium in a dedicated bank account for just this purpose it builds each month and its not lost you always have it, its a gamble i supose and if your unlucky enough to have a major disasstewr in the second month yes you will suffer , but on the other hand you might just look back on my advice in 6 years time when the hound fund is looking pretty healthy. And think that old *** Tony is not a bad old sort. :lol: :lol:

Dogsve problems but they are pretty tough too, and to hemerage the kind of money these insurance premiums cost is in my opinion folly, But please do keep up the payments if you skip this or use it for a holiday in the costas remember you wont have the money to mend fido after his altercation with that volvo estate will you.

Each to their own i supose but me ill keep my money sort out the dogs when and if i need help, at least its not lost money, but as i say its a gamble but one i feel is worth taking.

Edited by TONY R

I have lifetime cover with the Kennel Club for my springer spaniel, from the age of two he has suffered with bad hips and knees he also tore his cruciate ligament so you can imagine the cost for treatment if he was not insured. The plus for the Kennel Club is instant pay out, the negative is the rising cost which seems to relate to the cost of treatment for the previous year, I am now paying £80 a month, which I still think is cheap for a great dog.

• 2 weeks later...

as my dog got older, the premium went up.... this year i made the decision that i wouldn't pay it. £60 per month plus £90 excess..... if at 13 years old it was going to cost that much, I would not probably be putting the poor sod through it. I didn't with his brother 2 years ago.

my younger one is insured but don't know if ill continue next year.

re personal liability, check your house policy before relying on it. they cut everything to make it cheaper......

We had insurance with Purely Pets for our GSP and wouldn't use them again, over the years we had Petplan and never once had an issue....yes, they are more expensive but when insured for life they pay out without issue. Our new pup will be insured with them I think, too many variables and small print with others. If you decide to go the cheaper route fully read their T&C's.