TDCI or TD5

Fuji Shooter

TDCI would be my choice i dont like TD%s ive never had one but a mate had one it was useless in hills if it got off that big turbo it just caved in re power :no: You had to scream it feather the clutch to get it away it was rather like driving a TWO stroke. :lol: :lol:

TDCI everytime its reliable and a decent performer.

I would rather have a 200 or 300 tdi anyday to a TD5.

Right - I will go and view this as a donor vehicle then.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Land-Rover-Defender-DEFENDER-110-HARD-TOP-3-door-Four-Wheel-Drive-/331403098901?hash=item4d2929fb15:g:pRAAAOSwQJhUff5O

And hopefully get these people to convert it for me.

http://www.camperhus.co.uk/9/Land-Rover-Camper.html

Edited by Fuji Shooter

TD5 I had a td5 with no problems then a 2 year old tdci , after 3 gearboxes, new clutch , half shafts and new props, then a transfer box, landrover eventually got it right just in time for me to sell it. Of the 8 months i owned it landrover had it 41/2 month

:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome i love it. :yes: Sounds about right.

Cant you find a salvage one with low miles like that , might save you some money if your converting it if you find the right truck.

TD5 I had a td5 with no problems then a 2 year old tdci , after 3 gearboxes, new clutch , half shafts and new props, then a transfer box, landrover eventually got it right just in time for me to sell it. Of the 8 months i owned it landrover had it 41/2 month

I work on a few that have needed very little other than servicing, are either regular or daily towing and are nearing the 100k mileage mark!

And my daily drive is a TD5, not gutless by no means, tows well.

Had a TD5 disco auto. I had no probs with the engine at all, pulled like a train, great off road too. Well over 150k miles

TDCI defender performance has been good, easy motorway speeds and refined for a defender!.......but I've spent some cash on it.EGR valve had been ongoing, 3 in 2 years, now suffering ECU probs. Just over 100k miles. Also routine jobs like changing fuel filter needs to be done carefully (with a diesel filled filter) as there is no way to bleed the engine without a "special tool" ( I 've been called a special tool before!), TD5 will self bleed.

The TD5's got a bad name for a while... till the TDCI's came out - then the 2nd hand TD5 price jumped, and that was the one to buy...

Iv not owned either, I'm still romping around in a 300tdi. But everyone I know who has had a TDCI say Defenders arnt what they were.

Was it not due to too many problems LR dropped the 2.4 for the 2.2 anyway?? So maybe worth considering also...

If you don't like Land Rovers, don't buy one and if you already have one and don't like it, sell it. Simples!

I have a land rover for one purpose that is to tow 3.5 ton legally. I have other vehicles I do not need to like the poor quality of the land-rover build.when the new hilux comes in January the land-rover may well be a thing of the past.but while I do own one I am at least honest enough with myself to speak of their faults.perhaps a few others should remove the rose tints when looking at theirs and tell it like it really is.there is a thread running on here with regard to quality of a brand of gun people pay around 2k for a gun that will outlast them and complain yet will spend 20-30k on a vehicle that is flawed from the factory and defend it to the hilt regardless.and as production had now ceased it makes it even more simples not to buy one.

I have a land rover for one purpose that is to tow 3.5 ton legally. I have other vehicles I do not need to like the poor quality of the land-rover build.when the new hilux comes in January the land-rover may well be a thing of the past.but while I do own one I am at least honest enough with myself to speak of their faults.perhaps a few others should remove the rose tints when looking at theirs and tell it like it really is.there is a thread running on here with regard to quality of a brand of gun people pay around 2k for a gun that will outlast them and complain yet will spend 20-30k on a vehicle that is flawed from the factory and defend it to the hilt regardless.and as production had now ceased it makes it even more simples not to buy one.

If you dislike it that much, Ford and Isuzu have been towing 3.5t legally for 3 years now!

Iv owned my current Defender for 13years.

I will tell you like it is... im 6'1" and find driving position pretty comfortable - iv done a 5hr round trip and felt better getting out of it after that, then I have in some of the cars iv had!! The only break down its ever had, was 100% the drivers fault (my old man). It has served us bloody well and we will be sad to see it go. Nothing on the market comes close to the Defender as an all out workhorse.

Yes, it's beyond basic with zero refinement... but thats what I want from it. When I'm working and covered in mud and sh!T, I'm glad of its basicness.

Your right, when it comes time to chop in the Defender we will move on to a double cab pickup... But I will tell you now, my Defender is 21years old - no Jap pickup will be on the road at that age!