204 ruger

colin lad

so a while back i got my wmr hoping it will do close range fox and longer range rabbit making the hmr redundant and it didn't let me down it is great for what i want, so now my hmr is not getting used so am thinking of putting in a one for one for a 204 for longer range rabbit and corvid and for foxing at night where range finding is not easy then my .222 will be just for munty and cwd what are peoples thoughts on the 204 or is there a better long range varmint gun smaller than my .222 as i don't want to go bigger

thanks Colin

I'm putting in for a 204 next year when my renewal is up as a dedicated night vision foxing gun. I won't be getting rid of the 17 it's a fun little gun even if I don't use it much!

only getting rid of hmr as the wmr is so close to it but don't have ammo issue's and for close fox has more clout as the little 17gr bullets don't fill me with confidence on fox

colin

But what about when the zombies attack? You can never have too many guns! I've shot foxes with the 17 with varying results and admittedly my go to gun at the minute is the 243. A 204 would fit lovely in the middle especially as a permanent nv scope. I'll be keeping the 17 for zombies though!

Too expensive and fragments too fast!

22LR better for the job in every way lol

Yeah but you'd keep the 22 running on subsonics for the stealth kill. And if they made the drum magazines for a semi auto 17 well you'd be well in for a zombie stopper even if it took 3 shots. And shoot them through the side of the head by the war they're definitely going down...I think I need to get out shooting more and watch less zombie films!!!

Sounds like your happy with the swap then Colin, I'll soon be advertising my HMR. But I stuck with the 17 cal,and went for one in a proper case, ;-) It's not got the legs that the 204 has but I'm sure you smile is just as big as mine when you go out rabbiting with it. Mind you, a nice head shot on a Fox Wednesday night at 270 yds did the job.. ;-)

From your post Colin i think the .204 will fit the bill perfectly. I love mine. You don't say whether you will reload? Most folk tend to but I am so happy with Hornady Superformance in 32g I haven't got that far !

The last lot of ammo I bought cost £20.40 for 20. So a £1.00 a shot.

I bought one on some solid recommendations and haven't looked back. As CT says, a major advantage is you can see what has happened post the shot and it's as flat as a pancake. Mine is zeroed at 150 yards.

It's the sort of gun / calibre that makes it difficult to miss provided you do your bit. IMHO it's an ideal C/F pest round for the UK. Not that it should make an iota of difference but the yanks love the .204 ruger.

Edited by Whitebridges

thank's all for replies i have pretty much made my mind up and my rfd said to go in Monday to look at one i shall put in for a mod but to get going i shall use my mod i use on the .222, i shall be re loading for it i do for the triple and find it very therapeutic and love it when you get a good group from something you have done yourself,

variation shall be going in Monday and the rfd will take in my hmr so will keep you posted

colin

Do any of you re load for your 204??

I reload my .222 with a lee hand press and would like to keep using that so a quick question can I get all the dies I need for a 204 for a lee hand press ??

Colin

Yes you can.

I'm putting a variation in for one, I made the mistake of selling mine whilst I was being a gun tart, biggest fac mistake

well sold the hmr today and also put variation in today too so fingers crossed, have just put my 410 o/u up for sale to fund new gun so unless my feo team are feeling mean it shouldn't be to long now, feeling excited about this purchase already

colin

Well done Colin. I promise you won't regret it.

Hi Colin. I've had my .204 for around 6 months now and the novelty hasn't worn off and I don't expect it will. The .222 doesn't get much use,but when I can get my son out,we'll have a gun apiece.

Mines a 20" barrel,so I use a fast powder,Vhit n130,but to get faster speeds a 24" would be better and a slower powder can be used,even n140. Also,if you can get hold of Rem 7 1/2 primers or Federal 205M,that will make a difference. I use 32 gr Blitzkings,but am thinking of trying 39gr and for foxes they would probably be the preferred weight.

If you don't mind the extra length,get a 24" to get the most out of it,but a 20" is a little easier to lug about.

I have a set of Lee pacesetter dies that made 50 very accurate rounds that I can post to you for £20. If you have any questions about the .204 don't hesitate to ask. Cheers mate.

Hi Colin. I've had my .204 for around 6 months now and the novelty hasn't worn off and I don't expect it will. The .222 doesn't get much use,but when I can get my son out,we'll have a gun apiece.

Mines a 20" barrel,so I use a fast powder,Vhit n130,but to get faster speeds a 24" would be better and a slower powder can be used,even n140. Also,if you can get hold of Rem 7 1/2 primers or Federal 205M,that will make a difference. I use 32 gr Blitzkings,but am thinking of trying 39gr and for foxes they would probably be the preferred weight.

If you don't mind the extra length,get a 24" to get the most out of it,but a 20" is a little easier to lug about.

I have a set of Lee pacesetter dies that made 50 very accurate rounds that I can post to you for £20. If you have any questions about the .204 don't hesitate to ask. Cheers mate.

thanks mate the one i am looking at is 22" i have 400 rem 7.5 primers so good there the rfd i am getting it from does all the reloading gear and has 39 bk on the shelf, was looking at benchmark though he does stock the viht powders

i am getting a set of dies in with the deal to bud but thanks for offer

colin

Edited by colin lad

22" sounds like a good compromise Colin,you won't look back,just don't forget to take the triple out of the cabinet occasionally.

there will still be muntjac and cwd to shoot so it will get it's outings I will still use it on fox's in summer when I have my early morning walks as it will wear a day scope

Colin

If you're shooting up to 250yds and on a budget and just want a tool for the job, 223 will be fine,or even better .222,if however you'll be shooting beyond 250 or at night when distance is hard to judge,then .204 comes into its own. As for knock down power,the .204,travelling at several hundred fps faster,will win hands down. It's a sweet round and I guarantee you'll love it.

I'm looking at either a .204 or .223 for foxes using the lighter 40gr bullets. I've been told to go for a .223 as very marginal difference in trajectory, but I'm told the .223 has more knock down power and is much cheaper to reload and buy factory rounds ?

Don't believe all you are told.

The .204 40gr has a higher BC, Terminal velocity and higher HITS value than a 40gr .223.

I wonder how many folk realise how much energy these rounds carry out to say 600 yards. That's way way further than 99% of shooters will take a shot at live quarry. Even a feeble little air rifle chucking a 15 grain bullet out at 600 fps has enough knockdown energy at 60 yards to kill a rabbit if shot placement is good, and probably a little further too.

And folk are thinking about whether a bullet shifting at 3500 fps with an energy of 1300 ft-lb is enough because it comes out a different size muzzle.

Nah course it ain't lol,,,, get whatever you fancy, they will all put the lights out,,,, if you can hit the spot of course. Fail that bit and you may as well get a blow pipe.