So what do people consider " long range"

rwade545

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't my post, but it has become folklore on here, it's a brilliant read.

As good, but not as funny as Burnley Daves door smashing topic.

yes mate i know that was a tongue in cheek reply to your comment of shooting hare at 704, Burnley Dave was a great post but i also liked the dreaded sock post too,

colin

i remember the first post i read when i 1st joined here about head shooting pigeons with air rifle when they feeding on the ground that was a cracker too

Edited by colin lad

I'm just going off my military experience, .223 was only considered accurate out to 300m and harassing fire out to 600m

For military rifles firing military ammo maybe. A well made sporting rifle or target rifle with home loads will maintain good accuracy all day long at 600yds with 77 or 90gr bullets in a fast twist barrel. 1/8 twist will be more than enough for accurate long range to 600 yards in 223. On a calm day, 1/7 twist or faster will get you out to 1000 yds pretty accurately using 90 grain bullets. Most 1/12 223s ought to good enough for 300 to 400 yds with a 50gr pill but that would probably be the limit. 1/8 is better for longer range stuff.

For steel, I'd consider 600 long range for my 223, and 1000 yds for the 308. For deer, well I probably wouldn't take a shot past 100 since most of my stalking is woodland. For crow, 300 to 400 yards is as far as I've ever taken the 223 with any confidence in still conditions (farthest was confirmed at 384 yds with the rangefinder). Generally, I try and get closer rather than shoot farther or leave the shot though.