So what do people consider " long range"

rwade545

La Bala

Are you saying a hedge is your backstop, just could there have been anyone in the wooded area, people do have a right to rome

I'm sure he knows what is safe on his own land and what isn't. And despite what many people I find wandering around the shoot think, RTR only applies to mountain, moor, heath, down and common land. It is not a licence to walk anywhere you fancy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he knows what is safe on his own land and what isn't. And despite what many people I find wandering around the shoot think, RTR only applies to mountain, moor, heath, down and common land. It is not a licence to walk anywhere you fancy

I thought the so called 'right to roam' is a purely scottish thing and completely different to ur english tresspassing laws (even before the RTR legislation there was no tresspass laws in scotland)

In scotland the RTR basically is a free pass to walk anywhere u like, there is 1 or 2 rules ur meant to follow dogs under close control and not damaging crops etc but most are routinely ignored by those who want too

I always thought in eng ur meant to be on a footpath at all times even in the uplands otherwise ur tresspassing on private land

I did and nothing said has changed my mind except the usual excuses, a backstop should be a solid object with clear vision to where the bullet lands,

I looked half a hour ago is not a good answer

Are you saying I am wrong if so where

Last time I looked, the ground on which I was standing looked pretty solid, at least down here in Devon it is. I have therefore always considered shooting from an elevated position, be that from a vehicle, sticks, high seat or standing on my wife's shoulders a pretty satisfactory and safe way to take a shot.

Quite why you wish to lecture someone you don't know, shooting on ground you know even less about is beyond me. I would suggest you wind your neck in and save your moralising for conversations down the pup.

• 2 weeks later...

This evening I shot a running pheasant stone dead at 220yds with my .22lr from an unsupported standing position. He was running from right to left rather than away from me so had to allow for that at that range.

I consider that long range and is my best shot yet.

No doubt people will say I am lying, fluke, shouldn't be shooting them with a rifle etc but I'm not really bothered about that. I can do it and I bet there's not many that can.

There's a vid of a guy shooting a gong at 500yds on Youtube with a CZ Scout. Same gun as mine but I have never tried 500 yards (yet) so the gun is very capable.

This evening I shot a running pheasant stone dead at 220yds with my .22lr from an unsupported standing position. He was running from right to left rather than away from me so had to allow for that at that range.

I consider that long range and is my best shot yet.

No doubt people will say I am lying, fluke, shouldn't be shooting them with a rifle etc but I'm not really bothered about that. I can do it and I bet there's not many that can.

There's a vid of a guy shooting a gong at 500yds on Youtube with a CZ Scout. Same gun as mine but I have never tried 500 yards (yet) so the gun is very capable.

I don't think it's a fluke and not for me to say whether you should or shouldn't use a rifle as I myself have been asked to shoot them with a .22, I would even go as far as to say I too could prolly do it.

But are you saying you can do this regularly without missing or worse wounding ? Because that you can't do. We all pull off spectacular shots from time to time, that doesn't mean "we can do it" to order.

I don't think it's a fluke and not for me to say whether you should or shouldn't use a rifle as I myself have been asked to shoot them with a .22, I would even go as far as to say I too could prolly do it.

But are you saying you can do this regularly without missing or worse wounding ? Because that you can't do. We all pull off spectacular shots from time to time, that doesn't mean "we can do it" to order.

Yes I can do it regularly. I have a metal disc hanging down the field and I can even hit it with open sights from well over 100 yards.

Am I saying I can do it without missing, no of course I can't and would doubt anybody that claimed never to miss or wound at any range. I missed a squirrel yesterday that was less than 30 yards away.

I hope I'm not coming across as bragging as I don't mean to. I was chuffed to bits with that 220 yard shot but it is down to lots of practice and knowing the gun, or knowing the sight to be more precise. I have had the sights for 35 years, they cost £50 from Monk's gun shop in Chester and that was a weeks pay for me back then. The gun is a CZ Scout and there's nothing exotic about that, it's a trainer gun that comes with a single shot magazine and is aimed at introducing kids to shooting. I bought it cheap second hand because it is a tiny little gun and ideal for in the truck. It likes Eley subs so nothing special there either.

All just ordinary stuff that anybody can do with a bit of practice.

Yes I can do it regularly. I have a metal disc hanging down the field and I can even hit it with open sights from well over 100 yards.

Am I saying I can do it without missing, no of course I can't and would doubt anybody that claimed never to miss or wound at any range. I missed a squirrel yesterday that was less than 30 yards away.

I hope I'm not coming across as bragging as I don't mean to. I was chuffed to bits with that 220 yard shot but it is down to lots of practice and knowing the gun, or knowing the sight to be more precise. I have had the sights for 35 years, they cost £50 from Monk's gun shop in Chester and that was a weeks pay for me back then. The gun is a CZ Scout and there's nothing exotic about that, it's a trainer gun that comes with a single shot magazine and is aimed at introducing kids to shooting. I bought it cheap second hand because it is a tiny little gun and ideal for in the truck. It likes Eley subs so nothing special there either.

All just ordinary stuff that anybody can do with a bit of practice.

You can hit a running pheasant at 220 yards regularly ? Discs/targets have predictable movement if any so they don't count.