Tyre tread/design

scotslad

Alright folks.

I had a quick search and couldn't see if anyones asked this before

Was just wondering wot is the craic with tyre tread/design on different wheels?

I know its meant to wind the diffs up if they are vastly different but wot sort of differences can u get away with.

With say with tread depth/wear or design between wheels.

If there was a 2mm difference in tread depth would it make a difference? Or vastly different pattern, so any AT type pattern (grabber 1 side BFG other would be ok with similar tread) and does it mater much wots on the front (rear wheel drive).

Only reason i'm asking as my old scrapper pick up just sailed throu it's MOT again :good: but willl be needing tyres in a few thousand miles, thought i might look at some 2nd hand ones the now to give me better grip for winter and picking up which is when i go throu the more dodgy stuff.

Never bought second hand tyres before, but i don't do high mileage or drive fast and grudge putting brand new ones on as i'd never get the wear out of them (plus be double wot pick up's worth) so thought i might give it a go.

Sometimes they seem to be cheaper when 3 tyres probably for that reason as it is ackward to get the 4th tyre of similar tread and design

Quite an old pick up so probably not as sensitive as some of the modern 1's with traction control and computers and stuff

Cheers

They do say that it is best to keep to the same type and make of tyre on all four wheels as like shoes different makes of tyre can be slightly different outside diameter. I do not now what happens when the tyres start the wear or if you have tracking problems as some 4x4s do and one tyre wears out quicker than another.

I know twice now i've had a puncture that they couldnae fix on a part worn AT tyre and winter tyre (so both qyuite grippy) and i had to buy a pair (and that was at a local tyre place i've used for years so not a big chain ripping me off), and hear of it far more common now for folk with fancy all wheel drive cars having to replace all 4 tyres at same time if they get an unrepairable puncture.

Wot actually happens if u wind the diffs up? Diff failure?

Have heard of older 4x4s needing jacked up and spinning the wheels by hand to unwind them, we had to do it with an old Fourtrac but i'm sure u just could not get it out of 4wd

I use fairly aggressive tyres on my Landie and alternate them front to back. Normal wear usually means the front wear more quickly, so as these get half worn they go on the back and a pair of new up front. I am at that stage now. They are just OK to get through the MOT, fingers and everything else crossed :whistling: and I will then run them part way through this winter, put a new pair on the front and the half worn on the back as the back ones are now almost down to the markers. Always use the same tyre make if I can. The transmission on the Landie being permanent 4x4 soaks up small variations no problem. I have no knowledge of other makes but would assume the best pair should go on the main full time driving wheels.

I know twice now i've had a puncture that they couldnae fix on a part worn AT tyre and winter tyre (so both qyuite grippy) and i had to buy a pair (and that was at a local tyre place i've used for years so not a big chain ripping me off), and hear of it far more common now for folk with fancy all wheel drive cars having to replace all 4 tyres at same time if they get an unrepairable puncture.

Wot actually happens if u wind the diffs up? Diff failure?

Have heard of older 4x4s needing jacked up and spinning the wheels by hand to unwind them, we had to do it with an old Fourtrac but i'm sure u just could not get it out of 4wd

The diffs are designed to let one tyre run faster than the other, it accounts for corners and why get it on mud one wheel will stay stationary while the other spins. Yes on Tarmac some can wind up but that is very basic 4x4 systems without a proper centre diff afaik