Well and truly devastated :-/

WinchesterDave

Well guys, it's happened and I've had my first ever crash...

Going through southport to pick up my girlfriends sister, decided to go a longer way to give her more time with her boyfriend.

Came over the bridge upto cross road, I was going straight on, traffic on my right coming towards me, should stop and wait till I've gone to turn to their right into the road - this this bloke of around 90 decided to not stop and WHAACK!!!!!!!! Pushed my car to the left and gave it a rather big head ache :(

To make it worse, his old dear of a wife told me to **** off... was rude to me, people trying to help her and the paramedics.

The old bloke was completely dazed didn't say a word and just looked at me whilst I was speaking to him and explaining how he's just possibly written off my pride and joy :/

My girlfriend was with me and we are both okay - main thing! My upper back is hurting but that's it really.

I am truly gutted, I've been to car crashes with my volunteering work I do but it's the first I've been involved in and it's a different feeling :( I can just see the lights coming right towards me, I was in shock but i stayed calm and strong for my girlfriend really who was massively shaken up.

It happened right outside a Mosque and a lot of the men from inside came straight out to see and help us, a young girl by her self stopped and offered us to get in her car, and stayed with us and asked if we were okay and the same with a young lad who has given witnesss account and me his number - said we should go for a pint too. Really nice genuine people who massively helped me and my girlfriend and made the ordeal slightly better.

It was horrible to see my lovely little Jimny like that:/ we've had a great time in it my girlfriend and I - sounds daft but I feel like I've possibly lost a friend.

Will have to wait and see what the insurance company says see if it's a write off or not.

Anyway, I had to get it out so I apologise.

Cheers

David

Picture might not look as bad as I've made out possibly but it sounded terrible and he hit me quite hard. Both front wheels are pointing inwards too

4FE5FD1C-0BA7-41B4-ADA0-7F4A93D9584E_zps

I always thought that the person who hit you insurers will pay for you car & was only your insurer could write off your car so you could insisted it is repaired no mater what the cost. And as your jimmy is a 60 plate i cant see the cost of repair costing that much in regards as being more then the car is worth. But as has been said main thing is that everybody was ok.

Edited by fse10

Cheers guys. The insurers have said everything is in my favour the fact he was old, not wearing glasses and the woman was abusive etc. We are getting a courtesy car and the Jimny is currently on the way to a garage the insurers use in Manchester. As has been said, it's not an automatic write off because of value/age but the examine will let us know that soon.

Cheers chaps!

Dave

Gutted for you David,i know how exited you where when you 1st went to see that little car.But the main thing is your ok,cars can be replaced.I understand your connection with the little Jimbo as i have the same with mine.I dont really need mine as getting the wifes motor when she get the new one and im buying something to tow the boat.But the Jimny i will keep as it as just puts a smile on my face.

Edited by Davyo

Well, I don`t think the photo is up to your usual quality . . .

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the accident but at least no one was hurt. Very annoying when someone damages something you love but metal is much easier to repair than flesh and bone.

Nooo I apologise for a lack of photographic skill in the image ;)

Cheers mate :good:

Gutted for you David,i know how exited you where when you 1st went to see that little car.But the main thing is your ok,cars can be replaced.I understand your connection with the little Jimbo as i have the same with mine.I dont really need mine as getting the wifes motor when she get the new one and im buying something to tow the boat.But the Jimny i will keep as it as just puts a smile on my face.

Cheers Davyo! Thanks for positing, I remember writing about it on here when I got it too - I'm just really sad about it all I feel sick with worry as to what's going to happen next with it being my first car accident etc :/

They're great little cars.

Cheers,

David

A car is only various bits of metal bolted together, regardless of 'character' we ascribe to them. The important thing is that everyone is healthy!

Lots of cars out there, not too many new arms/legs etc. Good luck with the shopping - :)

Glenlivet, You tell that to my Landie and it will leave it's tyre marks you know where :yes: now, see, its gone into a sulk and won't start.

Joking apart ...

Glad you are all more or less OK. It really does shake you up. I've been to too many and people initially act brave but then start to shake like a leaf as the shock of it all registers.

That is one very good thing about modern mobiles you can take lots of photos...hope you did :good:

Saw it quite a few times in my previous job. I've always agreed that when someone reaches a certain age, there should be some type of competence test, every few years. A judge in the press recently stated that if the Government hasn't started looking at some type of competency test,for older folks, they should start looking at one .

This was after some old lady hit the accelerator instead of the brake, mounted the pavement and hit around half a dozen or so school children, severely injuring several of of them. I can't see how it's been ignored for so many years!

On another note WinchesterDave, I've also helped pick up bits and pieces of peoples bodies following a road collision, so although i'm sorry for your damaged car, it is after all, only a car... And nobody was severely injured or killed.

Its not always the case that you want it to be repaired. The garages that do the repairs are paid really rubbish money by the insurance companies. As a result the car comes back looking like it did before but corners get cut and niggles start cropping up. I would be more worried about the steering and suspension than the bodywork

A new bumper etc is fine but if its a borderline write off then its better to say goodbye to it IMHO

Edited by Vince Green

Same happened to me many years ago on a notorious bend near Dursley Glos. Some old **** of 90 odd turned straight across in front of me... He was lost and decided to do a U turn. I clipped him a good un and rolled the car into a wheat field.. I kicked the screen out because I could smell petrol and being completely unharmed ( apart from the rear mirror imbedded in my forehead ) went across to see if the driver was OK ...he was but his wife had knocked her leg so they carted them off in a meat wagon. He wasn't interested about his beloved at all just more concerned about finding and putting on his glasses before the police arrived... " I told you to put your glasses on " Bert ! "Oh shut up Gladys" ...and they proceeded to have a nonagenarian domi while I dripped blood on the tarmac

The cut wasn't so bad and I didn't want to make an issue out of it or make a spurious personal injury claim ( I wasn't brought up that way ) The police took a statement from the many witnesses that had stopped and came to me last . The officer then said my statement was corroborated by the others and there was sufficient evidence for the CPS to force a prosecution against the guy for reckless driving or something similar and did I want to support it.

I wasn't happy with the thought that he might be heavily penalised but was uncomfortable with the fact that he perhaps shouldn't be driving and the officer said in that case its likely the court would seize his licence. On that basis I did press charges so to speak. ... I found out subsequently that another old ****, the Judge, discharged the case but suggested the driver took a course of driver improvement i.e. another test which I understand he passed !!

I phoned the driver a couple of days later on the number I traced through directory enquiries to be greeted by his daughter who was extremely acidic and acrimonious.. I only wanted to enquire, genuinely about his wife's condition and I was labelled as a "reckless maniac, a danger to life, public enemy no. one and should be ashamed of myself "...obviously bloods thicker than water but this was rather a extreme and biased version of the events.

I wished at that time, I had milked it a bit and sent the guy to the slammer for a couple of weeks. :lol: That's the trouble with the elderly of today ...complete lack of respect !! :lol:

Looks like a project jimny to me. If they write it off, take the cash and buy it back off them on the cheap. Tough to tell from the pics, but looks only front end and only in the body and suspension. Trash the front suspension and put on something nice with wheels to match. Throw on some aggressive fenders and you have a buggy.

Rick

Not had to claim in a while (touch wood!) If not written off, your insurance company will try and get you to go with their "approved repairer" (laughs...)

Never do this! Their so called repairer will be paid a very small amount to repair your car, so you will usually get a **** repair. And judging by the colour of your Jimny, it will be no easy job to colour match it. Things may have changed, but i always tell them i don't want their "approved repairer" and insist i use another auto body shop. They tell you that you won't get a courtesy car, but any decent repairer will have their own anyhow. Then they say they want at least 2 estimates that you have to get, which i did. I go to the most expensive one i can find, and get an estimate, then go to my preferred local repairer, and get an estimate. I know the best one in my area, (although, it's been a while since i needed them) and know his estimate will be cheaper, and end up getting who i want to do the work. The only issue i could foresee, is on occasions, there may be a job getting the car to the repairer, or i suppose they could refuse to come out to wherever the car is to work out the estimate.

Good luck.

Same happened to me many years ago on a notorious bend near Dursley Glos. Some old **** of 90 odd turned straight across in front of me... He was lost and decided to do a U turn. I clipped him a good un and rolled the car into a wheat field.. I kicked the screen out because I could smell petrol and being completely unharmed ( apart from the rear mirror imbedded in my forehead ) went across to see if the driver was OK ...he was but his wife had knocked her leg so they carted them off in a meat wagon. He wasn't interested about his beloved at all just more concerned about finding and putting on his glasses before the police arrived... " I told you to put your glasses on " Bert ! "Oh shut up Gladys" ...and they proceeded to have a nonagenarian domi while I dripped blood on the tarmac

The cut wasn't so bad and I didn't want to make an issue out of it or make a spurious personal injury claim ( I wasn't brought up that way ) The police took a statement from the many witnesses that had stopped and came to me last . The officer then said my statement was corroborated by the others and there was sufficient evidence for the CPS to force a prosecution against the guy for reckless driving or something similar and did I want to support it.

I wasn't happy with the thought that he might be heavily penalised but was uncomfortable with the fact that he perhaps shouldn't be driving and the officer said in that case its likely the court would seize his licence. On that basis I did press charges so to speak. ... I found out subsequently that another old ****, the Judge, discharged the case but suggested the driver took a course of driver improvement i.e. another test which I understand he passed !!

I phoned the driver a couple of days later on the number I traced through directory enquiries to be greeted by his daughter who was extremely acidic and acrimonious.. I only wanted to enquire, genuinely about his wife's condition and I was labelled as a "reckless maniac, a danger to life, public enemy no. one and should be ashamed of myself "...obviously bloods thicker than water but this was rather a extreme and biased version of the events.

I wished at that time, I had milked it a bit and sent the guy to the slammer for a couple of weeks. :lol: That's the trouble with the elderly of today ...complete lack of respect !! :lol:

A lad I used to know at the Bike Club I belonged to for many years was killed by an old boy in an Austin Maxi pulling out of a side turning. The police counted thirteen other (previous) dents on the car but he got off it with a good lawyer. No witnesses

Lawyer to traffic cop "were the lights working on the motorbike when you examined it?"

cop to lawyer "they were switched on, yes"

lawyer "that's not what I asked, were they working when you examined the bike?"

cop "no sir they were smashed and the fuse was blown"

Lawyer "so they weren't working"

A lad I used to know at the Bike Club I belonged to for many years was killed by an old boy in an Austin Maxi pulling out of a side turning. The police counted thirteen other (previous) dents on the car but he got off it with a good lawyer. No witnesses

Lawyer to traffic cop "were the lights working on the motorbike when you examined it?"

cop to lawyer "they were switched on, yes"

lawyer "that's not what I asked, were they working when you examined the bike?"

cop "no sir they were smashed and the fuse was blown"

Lawyer "so they weren't working"

Unbelievable isn't it...how they cleverly ( if you can call it that ) slyly manipulate the facts. :yes:

Update - the Jimny is repairable and only the body work and suspension damaged and all parts are on order from Suzuki so should be okay! Apparently the chassis wasn't damaged one bit :good:

Great news mate,soon be back on the road.Dont mod it as you just limit your selling market.Remember my fully modded blue one,****** to sell it on.Couldnt part ex it,insurance take this mic(if you can find one that'll touch it)Dont anyone mention Flux lol as they are a complete joke.I went back to a standard Jimny and just got my renewal through @ £196.00