Woohoo .17 Hornet ticket granted any advice on rifles and Mods

Zetter

Hi All

Finally got my FAC back with my .17 hornet on it what would people recommend in regards to Moderators and rifles. I was looking at the Savage but there seem to be loads of tales of extraction issues which I could do without anyone had any direct experience with these at all?

Cheers Zetter

Hi All

Finally got my FAC back with my .17 hornet on it what would people recommend in regards to Moderators and rifles. I was looking at the Savage but there seem to be loads of tales of extraction issues which I could do without anyone had any direct experience with these at all?

Cheers Zetter

Speak with fister, he has reviewed both

Hi Ian

Ruger seem as rare as hens teeth and I havent heard great stuff about them on the US forums. Also when I was intially looking at .204 before I settled on hornet they seemed hellishly overpriced compared even to the Tika's

Can I ask why you went with hornet over .204 please bud?

Can I ask why you went with hornet over .204 please bud?

Hi Bazzab

I wanted to use it as a general purpose gun to replace my HMR and give me a bit more poke. So long range bunny blatting, some long range crows and the odd fox <200 yards. Initially I thought .204 but for what I wanted it for it felt like too much gun for what I needed. Also looking at reloading and from the advice from Mick on here I can I think get the hornet reloads down to a much cheaper rate than the .204.

Finally I have all the cleaning kit for the hornet having it for the HMR so that was another saving.

Cheers Neil

Hi Bazzab

I wanted to use it as a general purpose gun to replace my HMR and give me a bit more poke. So long range bunny blatting, some long range crows and the odd fox <200 yards. Initially I thought .204 but for what I wanted it for it felt like too much gun for what I needed. Also looking at reloading and from the advice from Mick on here I can I think get the hornet reloads down to a much cheaper rate than the .204.

Finally I have all the cleaning kit for the hornet having it for the HMR so that was another saving.

Cheers Neil

Hey Neil.

That's really helpful bud. Thank you.

You'll have to let us know how you get on.

Enjoy bud.

Bazza.

I thought about cutting mine down but, other than in a vehicle, the extra length isn't that much of a hinderence, besides, I'm guessing there is a reason CZ chose a 24" barrel over simple convenience?

As a direct replacement for 17hmr the hornet takes some beating. My advice, if you don't want to go down the forming PPU brass, is to buy Hornady brass and reload that. Neck sizing with an occasional FL size should maximise case life and, although it would work out a little more expensive, still be cost effective.

That way you won't need to form and trim, anneal brass etc.

I thought about cutting mine down but, other than in a vehicle, the extra length isn't that much of a hinderence, besides, I'm guessing there is a reason CZ chose a 24" barrel over simple convenience?

As a direct replacement for 17hmr the hornet takes some beating. My advice, if you don't want to go down the forming PPU brass, is to buy Hornady brass and reload that. Neck sizing with an occasional FL size should maximise case life and, although it would work out a little more expensive, still be cost effective.

That way you won't need to form and trim, anneal brass etc.

Hi Mick

I kicked off with buying 100 rounds of Hornaday to give me the brass and will take the reloading from there I think once I have shot through a few of them,

Cheers Neil

Well im clocking up the mileage at the moment now the proud owner of a brand new CZ527 from Greenfield Guns in Sailsbury (Nice shop and really professional/ easy people to deal with, it was a pity I didnt have more time to browse).

Tomorrow sees me heading to Worcestershire to pick up a Wildcat Evo .17 calibre specific to go on the end from UK custom shop. I am really looking forward to getting out with it once all the bits are together!

Yeah, 300 once fired!

Console yourself that you had early brass, and by your own admission, it would only accept Fiocchi primers (therefore the stuff with shallow primer pockets).

99% of us wouldn't have wanted it anyway :lol: Getting ANY 17 components is a bean ache, let alone getting a case and brand specific primer.

Edited by mick miller